U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, tying Halloween into wicca is incorrect.

The origins are Celtic and the Celts were NOT Wiccans. Further, Celts did not have "demons" in their belief system. It was a celebration associated with the Harvest.

The early Christian church, in an attempt to crush paganism, changed the celebration to All Saint's Day or All Hallow's Eve . . .

Much folklore has been attached to Halloween, but it is NOT based on "black magic" or anything that has to do w/ blood rituals and sacrifice. This is a modern interpretation (basically perpetuated by Hollywood).
Thanks for clarifying it ani - They're about as closely related as "Bela Lugosi's Dracula" is to "Vlad the Impaler"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to anifani821 again."

I see a lot of variation here. Some people just put out a pumpkin others go all out. As others have said it can depend on your neighborhood too. I think this area is Halloween friendly. The Carowinds theme park turns into "Scarowinds: Halloween Haunt" in October. It's a lot of fun and is always crowded when I go.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to anifani821 again."

I see a lot of variation here. Some people just put out a pumpkin others go all out. As others have said it can depend on your neighborhood too. I think this area is Halloween friendly. The Carowinds theme park turns into "Scarowinds: Halloween Haunt" in October. It's a lot of fun and is always crowded when I go.
Glad you mentioned Scarowinds! This is a great way to celebrate Halloween!!

Sadly, some nutty types have hijacked Halloween (much like skinheads hijacked the Rebel Flag, but we won't go there . . . ). But the holiday in itself is not evil and should not be, um, demonized, so to speak.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Not a lot of kids in our neighborhood, but I plan to do things up right and decorate the place this year - inside and out (although, to be honest, it will take a little less work on the inside given some of our regular decor).

Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
I couldn't care less about the origins. Today's society has numbed it down to nothing more than another sales season...just like all other holidays. There's no meaning and hardly any tradition left in it. From telling people to finish up before dark (for fear of some Fester-the-Molester van sweeping children off the streets) to kids past 12 years old thinking it's cooler to party than to go out trick or treating, Halloween of today is not what it was 10 years ago...let alone 20 or more.

However, on the ironically positive side, because of all this, it's become just a night of having fun. When else can you dress up as something ridiculous and place odd decorations all over your yard? In today's fear-stricken and HOA governed world, NEVER! All religious worries and crazy accusations that it's a holiday celebrating devils and demons or whatnot are absolutely absurd. Ask one kid who comes to your door dressed as the Green Power Ranger what they think Halloween is for. All of them will say for candy! Ask them if they think it's for celebrating demons and they'll probably run off with tears streaming down their make covered face. And before someone jumps my case for knocking the religious beliefs that the holiday is heathen or anti-Christ, know that I'm a guy who's just recently made the commitment to devote himself to Christ...and in my opinion, if he were walking the Earth today, he'd participate in it and want us all to have as much fun as we can on a silly and whimsical holiday!

I realize it's not for some folks...and they should be free to stay in their house and be left alone. And that should go for decorations to. I wouldn't recommend putting a blood fountain in your front yard that let's out a blood curling scream every time someone walks down the sidewalk...nor some insane strobe light and over-the-top decorations of a rotten corpse climbing out of a casket. If you live in a community, you gotta respect your neighbors, just as much as they need to respect your right to celebrate. In other words, find a happy medium, one that's not polarized either way. Pumpkins, spider webs, tombstones, and the occasional fake skeleton handing from a tree, I'm game.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM

494 posts, read 1,180,801 times
Default !

I have never enjoyed Halloween until I moved here. Our family has SO much fun...people decorate...famlies walk through the neighborhood and trick a treat...visiting w/ neighbors...it is the absolute BEST! You will fit right in w/ your decorations!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
I know it's early....but I make all my own decorations and we usually go all out. I usually start making things about this time. Hey, it takes a long time to haunt a house. I am wondering is Halloween very big here? Is it acceptable to have scary decorations out during Halloween time? I don't put things out until Mid October and they are down the day after Halloween. Thats not what I am concerned about. I just don't want to be offensive or get dirty looks from the neighbors. Basically, I know I am in the south and I am not doing anything offensive by any means. Just is it ok? Or should I skip my favorite holiday?
It is perfectly okay! Many neighborhoods decorate for Halloween - some scary, some not so scary. I personally don't care for the real gory stuff, but as long as you aren't too over the top I bet the vast majority of your neighbors will love your efforts

Here are some pics around my neighborhood last Halloween that I like:

Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
This reminded me of a thread from last year about "booing" or "ghosting" in neighborhoods. It sounds so cute.

Boo !!!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Great shots, Loves! You know you are gonna have everyone looking to move to your neighborhood now, don't you??? LOL!! Love the mature trees and big lots . . .

The house w/ the "cemetery" in front . . . PERFECT!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM

276 posts, read 417,107 times
Those grave stones seem appropriate outside that garish-looking house. If the graves don't frighten people away, the window shutters will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or