U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,343 times

Advertisements

My husband has just fallen in love with a house in the subdivision of Lawyers Station, in Mint Hill. I am more hesitant, since our kids would attend Independence High. It is not my first choice for a high school. Can people tell me more about this school? Feel free to pm me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM

44,839 posts, read 56,193,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnnc View Post
My husband has just fallen in love with a house in the subdivision of Lawyers Station, in Mint Hill. I am more hesitant, since our kids would attend Independence High. It is not my first choice for a high school. Can people tell me more about this school? Feel free to pm me!
I love Mint Hill Lawyers Station is a great older neighborhood with some nice well established yards, I can see why you have fallen in love.

Independence does not have the great reputation it used to have in the 80's and 90's, but it's certainly not the worst high school in Charlotte by any means. I have met the principal there and I like his youthful enthusiasm for the school. I would say you should schedule a visit and meet the people there before you make up your mind - test scores don't always tell the whole story. Best of luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the above. Test scores aside, is it considered to be a fairly safe school (as far as violent incidences, etc.)?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM

44,839 posts, read 56,193,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnnc View Post
Thanks for the above. Test scores aside, is it considered to be a fairly safe school (as far as violent incidences, etc.)?
Wish I could say for sure, but I just don't know. When you contact the principal ask him for the crime stats. Also, get him to give you the names of several parents involved in the school who you can call that could tell you about their experiences there.

My general impression is that they don't have any bigger problems than any other high school in Charlotte.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,788,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wish I could say for sure, but I just don't know. When you contact the principal ask him for the crime stats. Also, get him to give you the names of several parents involved in the school who you can call that could tell you about their experiences there.

My general impression is that they don't have any bigger problems than any other high school in Charlotte.

Great advice Loves. It seems so obvious but I don't think I would have thought just to call the Principle and get other parent contacts. Good Job!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM

I never thought of the idea of contacting other parents. As stated above, seems simple, but sometimes it takes other great minds to get us all thinking! Thanks so much! I will call tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,003,920 times
I graduated from Independence High School in 1998. At that time Independence was the largest high school in the state. It also was one of the top 50 high schools nationally for academics. However that was 11 years ago. In the area there are 3 other high schools: east Meck,Butler, and a new school.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM

3,562 posts, read 3,289,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I graduated from Independence High School in 1998. At that time Independence was the largest high school in the state. It also was one of the top 50 high schools nationally for academics. However that was 11 years ago. In the area there are 3 other high schools: east Meck,Butler, and a new school.

Yeah. 2000 grad here. I havent really kept up with them much since I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte