U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Recently re did our kitchen, had a small granite island that we had cut down to kitchen table, had ornamental iron done to base. Put in all new granite island and counters as we wanted diferent color and bigger island. Installed new stove and switched from electric to gas. Upgraded cabinets and put in dry bar. Added other design features I can't describe. House is only 4 yrs old but we spend alot of time in kitchen and believe we added alot of value.
Your kitchen sounds beautiful! Did you find someone local to do your ornamental ironwork? I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, too. And your additions are bound to add value. They sure will set your house apart - very custom! You need to take some pix and share with us. I am trying to envision all the work you have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
Been spending like a mad man, or as the cash allows , totally redid the guest have bathroom, had painters do the entrance stairs and foyer of the house. Replaced every fan and light fixture in the house. I have moved on to the master bathroom pretty well replacing everything but the floor and shower enclosure tile.
So I guess I am contributing to those stats, as I bought a toilet and shower door at Lowes tonight.
Does a week go by without a trip to Lowes? I should start marking on a calendar all the days we go to Lowes. I really wonder how many weeks since we have moved here didn't include a run to Lowes, LOL!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wondering how the DIY industry is doing here in our region.

I had heard on CNN that there seems to be an upswing in the last few weeks w/ DIY projects.
This is contrary to what I read somewhere last week concerning Home Depot. Can't remember where I read it and too tired right now to even think about it.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
This is contrary to what I read somewhere last week concerning Home Depot. Can't remember where I read it and too tired right now to even think about it.
Yep - I have read (and heard on TV reports) that home improvement is down (I think they were gauging this based on declining sales at DIY stores).

However, I believe on Monday morning - I heard on CNN (or could have been CNBC) that home improvement is showing signs of moving up - that people are perhaps not hiring contractors - but they are doing a lot of the work themselves.

Sometimes I wonder where they get this data, cause I have not been able to find it. I mean - the building industry is not gonna have it - as those are professional contractors.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM

333 posts, read 680,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Does a week go by without a trip to Lowes? I should start marking on a calendar all the days we go to Lowes. I really wonder how many weeks since we have moved here didn't include a run to Lowes, LOL!!!!
And HD is accros the street, but I would rather go to Lowes. Its also bad when it only takes 5 mins to get there.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
And HD is accros the street, but I would rather go to Lowes. Its also bad when it only takes 5 mins to get there.
Hee Hee! Hubby has already made 2 trips to Lowes this week. It is less than 3 miles from our house. Love that store! I guess I sound like a cheerleader for Lowes, LOL! I guess I am . . . I would be, regardless of whether or not they were a home grown industry - but knowing that are home grown makes me very proud to shop there and support them.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,008,762 times
We're always doing something around the house...that's what you get when you buy an older house. This spring is drip irrigation (really could have used it last summer, lol) and then finish up a few small projects that got delayed over the winter. We won't do much more until fall because we travel a lot over the summer. However, in the fall we'll be ripping out and redoing our very non-functional closet and giving it a face lift as well as a make over for the master....new flooring, paint, scrape the popcorn from the ceiling, replace the poorly done crown molding and replace the windows. I'd love to add a window. Right now the bed is centered on the wall with a window above DH's side table...no window on my side and the lack of symmetry bothers me. I haven't' been able to convince DH that we need to add a window to balance the room...lol.

As for any upswing...perhaps some of it is seasonal....???

I'm also a Lowes gal. I'll go to HD if I have to or to check prices for a price match.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
We are having problems with the tile in the kitchen and laundry area in our house (built in 1941, renovated in 2005 before we bought it last year). Our tiles are cracking! So not good - need to fix this somehow. So we'll be joining the DIY parade here in Charlotte.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
I already have the paint so need to get started on the guest room and hall bath. Also need to paint the ceiling in the bonus room, ceilings suck.

HD and Lowe's we spend equally at each store. Like Lowe's plants better. In CA we didn't have a Lowe's close by so always went to HD.

I love that HD and Lowe's are right across from each other on Ballentyne Commons and Providence, it has really come in handy.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Replace carpet with hardwood flooring. I did this a year and a half ago, but thought I would respond since I saw an earlier post on it. I removed the remaining carpet in the house, basically the upstairs, and replaced it with hardwood floors. I did some research on this and could not find an acceptable hardwood at Lowes, HD, or the discounters like Lumber Liquidators.

The biggest thing that you have to watch with these purchases is the grade of wood. In other words, when you are laying the wood, how much do you have to throw out because of milling defects. A lot of what is sold locally at sales and discount prices has a lot of issues and will end up costing more because of the waste wood. This is especially important if you use pre-finished wood because milling quality on the edges is really important. You need to find out this percentage. I ended up buying my wood on-line and having it dropped shipped to my house. It was cheaper but higher quality than anything I could find at Lowes and HD. BTW, both stores do sell high quality wood, but watch their prices head to the stratosphere.

Before you order, measure, then measure it again, and for good measure measure it a 3rd time. Make sure you get this right. You should order all that you need in one order. A good supplier will try to make sure it all comes from the same lot where the cut of the wood and color is consistant. Good luck in getting it to match after the fact.

I also purchased a floor nailer off the internet. There is an on-going debate on which is better. Nails or staples. I went with nails as this is the traditional way to do it, and results in a floor that has some give to it. You can buy the supplies for this locally with no problem.

When you get your wood, you need to bring it inside the environment and let it sit in th house for a couple of weeks. Charlotte is a relatively humid environment, even under air conditioning and the wood should be allowed to adjust to this before you put it down. Meanwhile you will have to make arrangements to dispose of the old flooring. In my case this was carpet, pad and strips. Don't even think you can put this in the trash as they don't take construction debris. I ended up taking it to one of the county recycling centers. They charge $18/truck load.

This job actually took me several months to complete. One of the problems that I had when I removed the carpet was the baseboards were not in the right place for hardwood. I had to remove them and raise them about a 1/2 inch or so. Some installers don't do this and it doesn't look right. I also found a few "surprises" the builder hid under the carpet so I had to fix this as well. Finally during the disruption we took the opportunity while the room was cleaned out to repaint and install moulding.

All in all it was a very worthwhile project as there is no more carpet in the house. Though I really try to keep a clean house, it was amazing how dirty things get under the carpet mat. I think it is just impossible to clean it completely but this isn't a problem with the hardwood. I have allergy problems and most of them disappeared once this was done. It looks great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte