Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how the DIY industry is doing here in our region.

I had heard on CNN that there seems to be an upswing in the last few weeks w/ DIY projects. I wondered if the assumption is b/c of higher sales at big box DIY stores such as Lowes. I mean - they had to find a stat or some data to indicate an upswing, right?

So I wondered if people here are putting money into their homes. I have a friend who is remodeling her bathroom. We just added on some decking. Another friend is making some general repairs - guttering, roof, etc.

Are you all planning DIY for this Spring/Summer? Or are people hanging on to their dollars? I hope people are stimulating the economy (and supporting our own homegrown corporation - LOWES) by working on improving their homes.

Wanna share? Big or small . . . just wondering if people are REALLY spending money on their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,463 times
We are about to put in a new deck and are also landscaping our yard (again!)

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Well, I replaced the old, worn shutters on my house, did some landscaping and in July, plan on replacing my front door & storm door. The latter will net me some "energy tax credits" if I do my research properly.

If the customers that call into my call center at work are to be believed, renovations are all the rage in some of the most deeply impacted states...(FL, AZ, NV, CA)...which does not make a lot of sense to me, but, oh well....

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
we are putting in a tile backsplash in our kitchen in a couple of weeks. I want to do the floor too, but don't want to spend too much. We bought our tile from the tile place in Pineville across from the mall. That counts as local, right?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
Been spending like a mad man, or as the cash allows , totally redid the guest have bathroom, had painters do the entrance stairs and foyer of the house. Replaced every fan and light fixture in the house. I have moved on to the master bathroom pretty well replacing everything but the floor and shower enclosure tile.
So I guess I am contributing to those stats, as I bought a toilet and shower door at Lowes tonight.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM

149 posts, read 536,113 times
We just had gutter guards installed. We're waiting for a hardwood floor sale at Lowes to hardwood our bedroom and front steps. Other than that, just adding color to the yard. I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot about three times a week for plants. I'm loving the rain this year, my gardens are growing like crazy!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Recently re did our kitchen, had a small granite island that we had cut down to kitchen table, had ornamental iron done to base. Put in all new granite island and counters as we wanted diferent color and bigger island. Installed new stove and switched from electric to gas. Upgraded cabinets and put in dry bar. Added other design features I can't describe. House is only 4 yrs old but we spend alot of time in kitchen and believe we added alot of value.

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times
We are actually thinking about doing some - crown molding downstairs, upgrading fixtures, etc. Our last house had all of that and I know it's silly, but we miss it. I still dream of moving out into the country, but we're just not really going to sell now, so might as well put in some nice touches that will help us enjoy what we have

Well, gosh! Looks like we are busy with our projects here in the Charlotte area! And yes, stimulating the economy!

This is great to here. I really enjoy spending time in my home - and having guests, as well - so doing special things to make the place more comfortable or to update is a real joy for me. Sounds like you all feel the same way.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
We are actually thinking about doing some - crown molding downstairs, upgrading fixtures, etc. Our last house had all of that and I know it's silly, but we miss it. I still dream of moving out into the country, but we're just not really going to sell now, so might as well put in some nice touches that will help us enjoy what we have
I don't think that is silly at all! I love crown molding and that is one of the first things I do when I move in - light fixtures and crown molding. Really does make your house look "finished." Well, it makes mine look finished - I am sure there are styles of homes where it is not that big a deal - but for 18th C or traditional homes - it is a really nice touch.

You hit on it - so important to enjoy our homes while we are in them - even if we are gonna move later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte