U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 54,451 times

Advertisements

I would love some opinions on these two Carolinas cities. (Throw in Asheville while we're at it - seems like a nice city with strong population, but small town feel)

I can work wherever I want in the US, so why stay in Cleveland? That is why we are moving - Cleveland has a poor future for its economy, winters that keep us indoors from Thanksgiving until after Easter and Summers that feature about 50% rainy days - so really only 6 weeks of outside time in the summer. Oh, and Cleveland is the only place I have experienced claustrophobia outdoors as our Lake Effect leaves clouds hanging 1000 feet over the gound for 8 weeks straight every year within 45 miles of the lake.

The Carolinas seem to offer a great location where we can get 4 seasons, be a short trip back to Ohio to see old friends and relatives, and be closer to our vacation spots of Gulf side of Florida, and the Carribean. And anything closer to fresh seafood is great for us.

Anyway, my wife loves the Ocean and that is why I want to check out Charleston. She also loves the Lake Norman area of Charlotte. We can afford housing in the $750k range. We plan to send our kids (ages 6 and 4) to private schools unless the public ones in the area are rather progressive. So I wonder, while any vacationer knows what Charlotte and Charleston are like Fall through Spring, I am curious as to what life is like there in the non tourist seasons. Humidity affecting asthma sufferers? Bugs really prohibit outdoor livings? Do the locals want out or are there none left? Traffic so bad, everyone wants a helicopter? All retirees or very young parents (we're thirtysomethings)? You know, good with the bad. I'll take a week of worry over a hurricane over three months of complete grey sky blending into the grey soot-filled snow.

Also, in Cleveland, very few people ever move to the city. So we know most of our communities are very closed and it is hard for those who do move in to find friends or grow strong roots. I assume the Carolinas have a lot more influx and are more open to outsiders. Am I off base?

In a perfect life, my kids will grow up to learn boating, enjoy the outdoors from swimming to camping (and the once a year family trip to ski), and my wife would be able to open a small shop in town. I'd like to find a town where it feels small and locals own some shops and the super malls have not entirely paved over the landscape.

Thanks neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 PM

178 posts, read 810,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrennan View Post
I would love some opinions on these two Carolinas cities. (Throw in Asheville while we're at it - seems like a nice city with strong population, but small town feel)

I can work wherever I want in the US, so why stay in Cleveland? That is why we are moving - Cleveland has a poor future for its economy, winters that keep us indoors from Thanksgiving until after Easter and Summers that feature about 50% rainy days - so really only 6 weeks of outside time in the summer. Oh, and Cleveland is the only place I have experienced claustrophobia outdoors as our Lake Effect leaves clouds hanging 1000 feet over the gound for 8 weeks straight every year within 45 miles of the lake.

The Carolinas seem to offer a great location where we can get 4 seasons, be a short trip back to Ohio to see old friends and relatives, and be closer to our vacation spots of Gulf side of Florida, and the Carribean. And anything closer to fresh seafood is great for us.

Anyway, my wife loves the Ocean and that is why I want to check out Charleston. She also loves the Lake Norman area of Charlotte. We can afford housing in the $750k range. We plan to send our kids (ages 6 and 4) to private schools unless the public ones in the area are rather progressive. So I wonder, while any vacationer knows what Charlotte and Charleston are like Fall through Spring, I am curious as to what life is like there in the non tourist seasons. Humidity affecting asthma sufferers? Bugs really prohibit outdoor livings? Do the locals want out or are there none left? Traffic so bad, everyone wants a helicopter? All retirees or very young parents (we're thirtysomethings)? You know, good with the bad. I'll take a week of worry over a hurricane over three months of complete grey sky blending into the grey soot-filled snow.

Also, in Cleveland, very few people ever move to the city. So we know most of our communities are very closed and it is hard for those who do move in to find friends or grow strong roots. I assume the Carolinas have a lot more influx and are more open to outsiders. Am I off base?

In a perfect life, my kids will grow up to learn boating, enjoy the outdoors from swimming to camping (and the once a year family trip to ski), and my wife would be able to open a small shop in town. I'd like to find a town where it feels small and locals own some shops and the super malls have not entirely paved over the landscape.

Thanks neighbors.
Hi,

Wow, this is my dream. Knowing I could move anywhere on the east coast- it has always been Charleston,SC. I go there often to visit, but I would move there in a second if I were financially able. What do I love about Charleston? Great food, sense of history, gorgeous architecture, fabulous food, bookstores ,shopping. The locals are educated and interesting, if not a little quirky- but we love our quirky southerners!

The other part of that dream would include a Charleston single house on the Battery, but that is impossible as the prices are out of sight. However, two places that are nearby and fit into your price range are Daniel Island and Ion (in Mt.Pleasant). I have stayed in both and they are both lovely.

http://www.danielisland.com/

http://www.ionvillage.com/

Charleston is unique. The kids I went to college with that grew up there love it, as do the families that have homes there as adults. Good luck.

Oh yeah- when you go- eat mussells at Rue de Jean- absolutley the BEST I have ever had!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,477,549 times
I live in neither place but have been to both. I really like to VISIT Charleston, but its way too hot for me there... and I like the atmosphere in Charlotte alot better. Everyone is so very friendly there. When I was in Charleston I really liked the historical attributes, but some of the older people seemed really..mad. I think Charlotte is a more youthful place. IMO Goodluck to you

Old 04-08-2007, 04:35 PM

227 posts, read 220,776 times
lol..why were the old people 'mad'??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
but some of the older people seemed really..mad. I think Charlotte is a more youthful place. IMO Goodluck to you

Old 04-08-2007, 05:27 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
tim,
I personally think Charleston is the greatest city in the southeast. So suffice to say that I'd take it over Charlotte, and I feel strongly about that. Also, reading your post, I share most of the same priorities as you involving schools, traffic, the ocean, boating, seafood, a balanced young/old population, recreation, etc.

However, there are reasons that people do not move to Charleston.
-it is very difficult to find a good-paying job
-the cost of living is very high for the region
-the traffic is hard to deal with, as are the tourists
-the public schools are hit-or-miss, and some are very bad

But based on your description, you don't seem to be affected by most of those problems. You say you can work in any city in the U.S., so your job is already taken care of. You want to send your kids to private schools - which are very good in Charleston (Ashley Hall, Bishop England, Porter-Gaud), so the public schools aren't an issue. You are in the market for a $750k house, so the cost of living shouldn't be a big deal. You're coming from a larger city, so traffic shouldn't seem so bad.

I think Charleston has much more to offer than Charlotte, even when you consider that Charlotte is over twice Charleston's size.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 12,915 times
Default Charleston........

I've lived in the southeast all my life, a year in Charleston, many years in Atlanta and Florida. The humidity in Charleston is truly crushing in the summer, which would be May thru October. I would make sure you thoroughly understand what that means before proceeding. Outdoor activities, boating and seafood, fascinating history, some truly amazing restaurants in the area....... these are all on the plus side. The beaches (Isle of Palms) are nice, but are completely different from gulf coast beaches.

I will say that I sympathize with your need to escape 6 months of gray, miserable winter... but do realize that hurricane season in the south can be no big deal one year and utterly nerve racking the next. Especially if you live within a couple hours of the coast. (Just ask Orlando residents about the 2004 season.) A category 2 or 3 hurricane that hits even a hundred miles away from Charleston can still have an unbelievable impact. Unfortunately insurance rates are going thru the roof to compensate. I don't know what's happened recently in the Charleston area, but in Florida it's become a major issue. Yes, there are bugs, pest control service and a screened-in porch or patio are mandatory.

Both Asheville and Charlotte are beautiful (my family is from Asheville and I have a weak spot for North Carolina). Asheville has changed quite a bit. The downtown area has become quite artsy/eclectic. If you are trying to escape the winter weather, I will point out that Friday night there was an inch of snow on the ground when I talked to my family in Asheville. If you aren't familiar with the mountains, the weather can be brutal and change extremely quickly. Also, the summer tourist traffic and fall leaf traffic can be a detraction.

Good luck with your decision...... We are actually working on a plan to relocate to Charlotte area because all my husband needs is an airport for his job, so we are sort of in the same boat. It's fun to consider the possibilities.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 54,451 times
Default Airport

Funny, all I need for my job is an airport. I broker jets, so flying my plane out of a small airport to any of my clients is a must. As far as an inch of snow - I'm keeping my family on our Florida Easter trip a few extra days because out home has 20 inches of snow in the past 72 hours. And as far as changing weather, get a recent week in Cleveland: 80 degrees one day, ice storm next morning, thunderstorms the evening, tornado the next day and an earthquake the following, then 70 degrees in morning and snow by 2am next morning. Rotovirus is keeping about 20% of kids in our private school out with vomiting and emergency room visits. This happens every year and we jsut say, "Oh well, it's Northeast Ohio"

Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,477,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
lol..why were the old people 'mad'??
musta been the extreme heat, I don't know...

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 PM

525 posts, read 1,644,342 times
Charleston is VERY hot and humid most of the year..they do NOT have 4 seasons..so if you are looking for roughly 4 seasons..this isn't it..after living in Beaufort SC for 4 yrs...I loved the beach, loved Savannah, Hilton Head and Charleston closeby, loved the historical feel..southerners that were "old" money were different. Some ppl were extremely pleasant and lovely while others were very snooty. I couldn't deal with the heat..110 degrees June through September with 80% humidity isnt' my thing along with worrying and watching every moment of a hurricane watch, securing your belongings, hoping to get out of dodge early enough if one came but then leaving and it not hitting...plus the bugs..mosquitoes, sandfleas...ugh. Charlotte I like a lot and with your housing range you can easily live in a very nice area, I don't know that I would personally live in Mecklenburg county even if a private school and half million dollar home were in my budget. What about some of the surrounding counties? Iredell comes to mind..just depends on what you are looking for in a community. Visit Charleston in the summer and in the winter (well Jan or Feb) and also visit Charlotte. Take time at each location before deciding.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 PM

348 posts, read 319,005 times
And wait until you see the bugs in Charleston! They're as big as those jets you're brokering! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or