Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times

Advertisements

I was drawn to this thread because I live in the hometown of THE most unbelieveable grocery store in the world: WEGMANS/Rochester, NY....and we have been rekindling our interest in moving south in a few years (hence my visits to this forum along with Va.) so staple prices are certainly a consideration....and at Wegmans, milk is 1.89 G 2 % /1.69 skim....as for OJ, I was balking at the prices of Tropicana at 2 half gallons for $5 so I've been buying Wegmans at 2.19 per.....I've always figured the cheap "this" has to be made up with the expensive "that".....and food may be the area in N.C.? Plus, I know many who have left the area for all parts of the USA and they ALL pine for Wegmans.....I know, I know it's just a grocery store but boy do they put on a show for us northerners......anyone familiar with the chain know of anything comparable down south?

As a little sidebar, my hubbie runs a food trucking company and the cost of gas shooting up over the last 2 years has only just begun to affect food prices. They tried to hold them down for a while but seeing that big oil has grown fond of jerking Americans around with the wild fluctuations and even wilder excuses why the prices have gone up again, my hubbie's company had to start raising their prices and in turn, I've seen a huge increase in some items I buy on a regular basis.....glad the kids are grown up and on their own!!!!!!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 04-10-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
You will find the price for eggs and milk MUCH cheaper at Sam's Club. Just have to make a list and stick with it in the warehouse clubs..
That is the trick there.

For instance including tax I pay $1.93 for 18 extra large eggs.

The bread I buy is $3.59 in supermarket

$2.84 in wal-mart

$2.49 in BJ's

If you use the clubs they are worth the membership fee, if you only go once a month and spend $40 they are so not worth it.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
That is the trick there.

For instance including tax I pay $1.93 for 18 extra large eggs.

The bread I buy is $3.59 in supermarket

$2.84 in wal-mart

$2.49 in BJ's

If you use the clubs they are worth the membership fee, if you only go once a month and spend $40 they are so not worth it.
I like using the clubs, and we just may have to, we used to buy in bulk, but don't have the room for it right now. Now there are some items that if you do a cost comparison(here in VA) of say, buying three boxes of cereal at Walmart or the grocery store and buying the 3pack at BJs, alot of times, cheaper at the reg stores. This is just an example. i usually know how much everything cost at the store so when I go into BJs I can compare, if its more costly it can wait for the other store... I can tell that groceries are going to be more expensive for us than they are here...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Another option is to buy store brand & not name brand. Harris Teeter's brand of food- for milk, ice cream, etc is called Hunter Farms- http://harristeeter.com/Default.aspx?pageId=68
Sometimes the store brand is cheaper.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Wegmans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I was drawn to this thread because I live in the hometown of THE most unbelieveable grocery store in the world: WEGMANS/Rochester, NY....and we have been rekindling our interest in moving south in a few years (hence my visits to this forum along with Va.) so staple prices are certainly a consideration....and at Wegmans, milk is 1.89 G 2 % /1.69 skim....as for OJ, I was balking at the prices of Tropicana at 2 half gallons for $5 so I've been buying Wegmans at 2.19 per.....I've always figured the cheap "this" has to be made up with the expensive "that".....and food may be the area in N.C.? Plus, I know many who have left the area for all parts of the USA and they ALL pine for Wegmans.....I know, I know it's just a grocery store but boy do they put on a show for us northerners......anyone familiar with the chain know of anything comparable down south?

As a little sidebar, my hubbie runs a food trucking company and the cost of gas shooting up over the last 2 years has only just begun to affect food prices. They tried to hold them down for a while but seeing that big oil has grown fond of jerking Americans around with the wild fluctuations and even wilder excuses why the prices have gone up again, my hubbie's company had to start raising their prices and in turn, I've seen a huge increase in some items I buy on a regular basis.....glad the kids are grown up and on their own!!!!!!
I miss Wegmans! The closest I would compare it to down here would be Harris Teeter. Not the cheapest but good quality meat and produce. My MIL misses W, too, and they're from the Syracuse area.

Harris Teeter also has a neat feature in some areas (Regency Village near Birkdale). You can do your shopping online and the pick up your order at the drive-thru. First order is free and the rest are $5. I shop every 2-3 weeks usually, and I find it comes in handy for me and the cost is nominal compared to how frequently I shop. Save a lot of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte