U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,118,513 times

Advertisements

This makes me so mad! I recently had to transfer the title to my car and went to the NC License Plate office on South Blvd. As I pulled into a parking place a nice lady came up to my car and told me not to park there or my car would get a 'boot' and I would have to pay $50 to have it removed. I moved my car and after I got my new plate I spent about 20 minutes warning other customers not to park there. The people applying the boots (Digital Towing) wait around the corner of the building and as soon as a customer goes into the license office, they apply the boot (sometimes it takes less than a minute or two). If you don't pay the $50 - your car gets towed!

Apparently the owner/property manager of the office building (Tom Loftis) is having trouble renting office space and so he is having Digital Towing boot cars that are parked against the building. (You can see more about this on WBTV.com). It turns out this has been going on since March of 2009 so thousands of people have been charged $50! The signs that are posted are so tiny and they are installed on brick pillars (very hard to notice).

The news report last night showed an older lady get a boot on her car and she did not have $50 to pay Digital Towing. She also had a handicap tag but the towing company refused to remove the boot without the $50. Thankfully a very kind lady (who had already paid $50 to have her own boot removed) paid to have this womans boot removed.

The news story went on to say that the people that were warning others not to park in those spaces were threatened to be arrested for trespassing!

It has now been determined that the signs that were posted were in violation of the city ordinance! (they did not include the name and address of the towing/booting company). The reporter indicated that anyone that was booted and had to pay $50 before last Thursday (5-14-2009) should file a police complaint. Hopefully, they will be reimbursed. I hope people will file a police complaint and get their money back - this is horrible!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,154,057 times
Thanks for the update. I hope the towing company and landlord of the building gets fined for not having proper signage.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,118,513 times
Frank - Forgot to mention that they have now installed new signs that have the name and address of the towing company so if you get a boot now you have no recourse!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,298,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
This makes me so mad! I recently had to transfer the title to my car and went to the NC License Plate office on South Blvd. As I pulled into a parking place a nice lady came up to my car and told me not to park there or my car would get a 'boot' and I would have to pay $50 to have it removed. I moved my car and after I got my new plate I spent about 20 minutes warning other customers not to park there. The people applying the boots (Digital Towing) wait around the corner of the building and as soon as a customer goes into the license office, they apply the boot (sometimes it takes less than a minute or two). If you don't pay the $50 - your car gets towed!

Apparently the owner/property manager of the office building (Tom Loftis) is having trouble renting office space and so he is having Digital Towing boot cars that are parked against the building. (You can see more about this on WBTV.com). It turns out this has been going on since March of 2009 so thousands of people have been charged $50! The signs that are posted are so tiny and they are installed on brick pillars (very hard to notice).

The news report last night showed an older lady get a boot on her car and she did not have $50 to pay Digital Towing. She also had a handicap tag but the towing company refused to remove the boot without the $50. Thankfully a very kind lady (who had already paid $50 to have her own boot removed) paid to have this womans boot removed.

The news story went on to say that the people that were warning others not to park in those spaces were threatened to be arrested for trespassing!

It has now been determined that the signs that were posted were in violation of the city ordinance! (they did not include the name and address of the towing/booting company). The reporter indicated that anyone that was booted and had to pay $50 before last Thursday (5-14-2009) should file a police complaint. Hopefully, they will be reimbursed. I hope people will file a police complaint and get their money back - this is horrible!!!!!
Have to say I am amazed by this womans generosity! One of the classiest things I've seen, in a LONG time!!!

Digital Towing and Loftis should be ASHAMED of themselves! They are doing nothing but taking advantage of people- bottom feeding garbage is all they are!! What goes around comes around...

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM

24 posts, read 69,364 times
Loftis "should" be ashamed of himself.......the whole thing is so deceptive...the minute those people get out of their car....both he and the towing company are like thieves in the night. The excuse that he gives is that he can't rent the spaces out because of the traffic...maybe he needs to go up and down S. Blvd....and see alllllll the other empty spaces that aren't being able to be rented because of the economy. There "has" to be another reason for him doing this...no one can be that thoughtless and mean........I think there is more to this than meets the eye!!!

I highly respect the young lady that helped the older woman with her fine of $50.00.....she is a reminder of what all of us should be doing for each other....I will make sure I "pay it forward" today....in her honor!!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,165,912 times
If signage exists....you deserve it for being arrogant by ignoring the sign! Don't come back with
...what sign, where is it, huh, wha, shoo...you can read. If signage does not exist, it is private property, not public, therefore, it does not matter. Action 9 may help you recover cash out of inconvenience for you, but I salute the landlord. The obvious reasons are clear that there is a parking problem and the DMV should find a better location to handle the volume. The other tenants
are trying to run businesses too, are you supporting them too? I'll bet not and these are the type of companies everyone seems to be posting recenlty about business closings.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
This makes me SICK. Who is this Loftis person? What kind of scum . . . is he a native? Someone needs to run him out of town on a rail. How shameful. I can't believe someone who do this to his fellow citizens. There are ways to handle the issue without penalizing people who are simply trying to follow the law and get their cars registered. If there is more parking needed, this is an issue that should be addressed w/ the state or whoever rents the property. This is outrageous!!!

Somebody needs to check Digital Towing's registration w/ the state - does Tom Loftis own part interest in the company?????

What a JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,141,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
If signage exists....you deserve it for being arrogant by ignoring the sign! Don't come back with
...what sign, where is it, huh, wha, shoo...you can read. If signage does not exist, it is private property, not public, therefore, it does not matter. Action 9 may help you recover cash out of inconvenience for you, but I salute the landlord. The obvious reasons are clear that there is a parking problem and the DMV should find a better location to handle the volume. The other tenants
are trying to run businesses too, are you supporting them too? I'll bet not and these are the type of companies everyone seems to be posting recenlty about business closings.
The thing is, it isn't the Department of Motor Vehicles. It is a private business that contracts through the DMV to sell plates and do title work. So the signs that say "No DMV" parking aren't relevant OR legal since there is NO DMV on the site. There's nothing there that says that it is the DMV. The landlord is simply being an a-hole for doing this. He has already terminated the lease of the Plate business that has been there close to 30 years. Because he says they are too busy and he can't lease the other spaces, because of the plate business. My thinking is that no one wants to lease in that crappy dump anyway.

+1000 to the lady who paid the other ladies fine.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
The thing is, it isn't the Department of Motor Vehicles. It is a private business that contracts through the DMV to sell plates and do title work. So the signs that say "No DMV" parking aren't relevant OR legal since there is NO DMV on the site. There's nothing there that says that it is the DMV. The landlord is simply being an a-hole for doing this. He has already terminated the lease of the Plate business that has been there close to 30 years. Because he says they are too busy and he can't lease the other spaces, because of the plate business. My thinking is that no one wants to lease in that crappy dump anyway.

+1000 to the lady who paid the other ladies fine.
I wonder if the landlord has gotten a reputation and THAT is why no one wants to rent from him? After all . . . the right kind of business there could probably make $$$ off people coming and going - i.e. a bagel shop, coffee shop, sandwich shop, ice cream shop . . . seems all that foot traffic could translate to some business. So it may be that once he gets the DMV folks out . . . he may find that the problem was never the traffic . . . but rather, the person people would have to deal with in order to lease space there.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,298,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This makes me SICK. Who is this Loftis person? What kind of scum . . . is he a native? Someone needs to run him out of town on a rail. How shameful. I can't believe someone who do this to his fellow citizens. There are ways to handle the issue without penalizing people who are simply trying to follow the law and get their cars registered. If there is more parking needed, this is an issue that should be addressed w/ the state or whoever rents the property. This is outrageous!!!

Somebody needs to check Digital Towing's registration w/ the state - does Tom Loftis own part interest in the company?????

What a JERK!!!!!!!!!!
Just a guess, but I'd say no. Matter of fact, I have a pretty good idea of where he is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte