U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times

Advertisements

So as yesterday was my bday, I wanted to get a small dog to add to the family. I went to Animal Control and didn't have what I wanted. I was going to go to the Charlotte Humane Society but my luck, they are closed on Weds. So I was excited about going to other rescues but they are only open evenings at certain hours, only open twice a month for open house or by appt only. As I totally understand the process of getting an animal, some make it very difficult and discouraging!!!!! I decided to go to a pet store located in the Arboretum shopping center and it was ridiculously priced. I seriously laughed in the ladys face when she told me a price for a Chiuahaha puppy! Needless to say, we didn't get to rescue a dog as my schedule is hectic this week due to the races and being so I work evenings, its hard for me to go to these rescues that are only open evenings Very sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
Hi Himain, please be patient - the right dog is out there for you! I know Animal Care and Control has had some Chihuahuas recently.

Did you know that you can search multiple shelters and register your breed of interest on AC&C's Web site? In case you didn't realize this, here's how you do it:
  1. Go to cmpd.org
  2. Select Animal Control
  3. Select Adoption
  4. Select Search for your New Pet
  5. Select Dogs
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and then select "Select Register your Breed Interest"
  7. Fill out the form, and you'll get an e-mail for any animal that matches your criteria

Hope this helps! Happy birthday and I hope you'll post pictures of your new dog when you do adopt.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,633,122 times
Happy Birthday !!!

You can try Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder also.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM

510 posts, read 1,840,166 times
Also, check local vets office (maybe call before you drive all over), some have books with clients who are fostering dogs or who can no longer take care of their dog(s). Good Luck and I'm sure you'll find one soon.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
These are great suggestions! And Himain - love you for looking for a dog who needs a forever home . . . I know how you love your furkids. A doggie would be so lucky to have you take him/her home . . .

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

201 posts, read 604,049 times
Happy Birthday (a day late), and congrats on your soon to be new dog!

What a great way to celebrate!

I'm sorry you had delays--that had to be a let down, especially since I'm sure you were so excited to bring home a new addition to your family.

Most rescues are run by volunteers who also have full time jobs, so that might be why you ran into some delays. In addition, some rescues still require you to fill out paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork (but it's worth it, I promise!!)

On that note, here's a funny story--we filled out paperwork to adopt a dog from a rescue group. We had to list references, which they checked.

After about five minutes of questions to one of our references, the person asked, "Do you think they have the ability to be responsible pet owners--after all, it is a LOT of responsibility?"

My friend replied, "I sure hope so---besides myself, they are the emergency contacts for my kids at school, and they'll be staying with them when we go out of town in two weeks!"

That helped wrap up the conversation, and we welcomed our dog home not long after.

Good luck to you! Don't get discouraged--you can always start buying some fun dog toys and supplies. That helped pass the wait for us.

You'll have to post pictures when he or she gets home!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:26 PM

279 posts, read 978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I decided to go to a pet store located in the Arboretum shopping center
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not patronize Petland. Please read the news release about them below from the Humane Society of U.S. They have a wretched reputation and the HSUS has been staging protests at their locations around the country trying to get them shut down as their pups are from puppy mills.

Please be patient and wait until you can get to the CharMeck Humane Society when your schedule permits and rescue an animal in need! You will get a big gold star on your soul!

Hundreds of Heartbroken Puppy Buyers Seek To Join Petland Class Action Lawsuit | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/puppy_buyers_petland_lawsuit_032309.html - broken link)

Old 05-21-2009, 04:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,618,947 times
check craigslist , on top of private people listing pets the animal controls in various surrounding towns also do. well, actually it is volunteers with the biggest hearts that go and check what is at the pound.
might mention your quote of being extremely busy this week anyway, maybe it was all for the better to wait until you have more time.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,854,913 times
The CMPD.org link breaks my heart. Every time I see these animals in shelters it's hard to look at. I hope everyone getting a pet takes a step back and realizes it's a commitment for years to come. They are going to become a member of your family and you cannot just trade them in or get rid of them because they don't fit into your lifestyle anymore. They need you! Every animal I have ever owned has been adopted. Last time I went to adopt a cat....I almost got 5. Please give a homeless animal a home and family. Just looking at those poor creature makes me want to go get another one. I actually might !

Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 PM

403 posts, read 763,953 times
Happy Birthday!!
If you are going to rescue a pup......."please" do take your time looking for your furkid. You want the relationship to be right and feel right also. You don't want to rush into getting just "any" pup....just because you want one.
About fourteen years ago....I decided that I wanted a "pup" also....and I also decided that I would look until I found the "perfect" one for me. I went down to the Animal Shelter for three months and at least two times a week. Yes, I saw pups that I felt were cute....but they just didn't feel right. I really felt that the people there at the shelter were getting tired of seeing me come in....but I was bound determined to find a diamond in the Ruff (I know..."rough"...couldn't resist!). Anyway, in the third month of looking....I was going down the aisle...and saw a scrawny little brown dog with the biggest brown saucer eyes that I hadn't seen in months of searching....Sooo, I had "him" brought to the viewing room....and I was sooo surprised at how there was just an attraction that I can't even explain....his personality was just shining all over the place....and right then and there....I knew...he was the one for me!! Rusty, is now sixteen years old (15-18 months when I got him) and is on the total down side of life. He has had a good life going to work with me every day...he has given joy to me and my family...and to new friends at work. He has been a real "gift" that was worth waiting for............soooo do take your time in your search....I think you will be rewarded with a "giftpup" of your own.
Good Luck....and again....Happy Birthday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte