U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM

380 posts, read 1,612,968 times

Advertisements

I think I will be trying jlat crockpot recipe next time. Our attempt on the charcoal grill did not work out. The meat was way overcooked. Then I added the vinegar sauce and all it tasted like was vinegar. It was not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 AM

4,753 posts, read 6,389,103 times
Crock pot pork with barbecue sauce does not mean real BBQ. Its just meat and sauce. Pretty tasty if done right, but not real BBQ.

I'll have to figure out how to post a picture on here. We have a huge BBQ at the Shrine Club and its a real sight to see. Had close to 15 teams last year. One brought out a cooker that had to be 30 feet long.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,635,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
BBQ is a whole hog that is smoked on hardwood. This requires a lot of time and effort, the sort of thing where a group of family or friends might get together do it once or twice a year, and spread the cost and workload among a small group of people. If you want real BBQ, you're better off buying it.

However .. I agree with marndt and car421. You can use a boston butt or whole pork shoulder and put it on the charcoal grill, away from the heat source, and it will be very good. My opinion is that heating your grill over 250 degrees is too hot. 230 is optimal. You want the center of the meat to reach a bare minimum of 140, probably about 180, and no higher than about 210. Trim the fat before you cook it, and put a drip pan under the butt to catch the grease.

I like to make my own rub (paprika, garlic salt, white pepper, cumin, plus whatever else is on hand), and apply sauce once the meat is done, if at all. Another trick is to soak some wood (hickory, mesquite, etc.) in water overnight, and cook it on the grill next to the butt.

But please, do not attempt BBQ on a crock pot. I have a relative from Pennsylvania who attempts to "Show us how BBQ is done", by using a crock pot. She puts in so much effort, we can't help but be polite about it.
+1! Although western style is often only made from shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Crock pot pork with barbecue sauce does not mean real BBQ. Its just meat and sauce. Pretty tasty if done right, but not real BBQ.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 AM

543 posts, read 1,631,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
The sauce is key, but it is not hard to make the pork on the grill. I have done it on my gas grill and it comes out great. You want to use indirect heat, in other words have the meat on one side of the grill and the burners on the other side lit.
Get yourself a nice pork shoulder, wash and pat dry. Then it is up to you what kind of rub you want to put on. A rub is improtant in developing flavor as you slow cook it. I use a mixture of kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, brown sugar and a few other things.
Soak a few handfulls of wood chips in water for a few hours and make a smoke pouch out of foil. Put a handfull in the foil, wrap up and put in a few holes. set your grill to med-low heat, put wood pouch over lit side. You want your gril to be around 250-275. Put meat on other side and close lid. I like to put apple cider vinager in a mist bottle and spray the meat once in a while when I turn it. The meat will take about 8 hrs to cook, check the temp of meat. When done remove to cutting board and start to shread with 2 fork while hot. Place meat in large pan and I then put on the vinager/pepper flake sauce.
Hope this helps, it is not as hard as you might think even thou it is time consuming, but worth it. And since the meat is indirectly cooking you don't need to be standing at the grill the whole time.

I made this over the weekend and it was awesome!! Thanks Car

Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,080,126 times
Lexington BBQ in Davie county off old HWY64E or Keaton's Chicken in Cleveland......

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM

539 posts, read 1,309,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
I made this over the weekend and it was awesome!! Thanks Car
Glad that it worked out for you. I plan on making this in about 2 weeks.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 AM

47 posts, read 93,510 times
I've done a Boston Butt over charcoal with hickory wood chunks. The key is cooking it indirectly at low temperature (well below 300) and cook it for a long time. I had it on the charcoal grill for around 9 or 10 hours. I had to add a little charcoal every hour or so, but also added a mop sauce to it every so often.

At the end however, it was certainly worth it -- the pork was falling apart and the bone you could pull out with your hand. Once you separated all of the meat, added BBQ sauce (Eastern NC Style please!), and made sandwiches with cole slaw, the food was better than you can get in any restaurant.

Honestly, I don't think the gas grill will duplicate the flavor that a charcoal grill or smoker can produce. And definitely not the crock pot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte