Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,753,760 times

Advertisements

Okay, I like all the various types of bbq. I used to make my own in Texas and Ohio. Those were more of a tomato base. Now I want to make NC bbq. I think it is called the eastern type but I am not sure. What is the type Lancaster restaurant has?? That is what I want to try to make. I searched this forum and the internet and keep seeing recipes for the sauce. But I need to know how to do the pulled pork without a smoker. Can you do it just on the grill, or in the oven, or in the crockpot?? So I need to know a good recipe for whatever type bbq this is that I am thinking of and how to cook the meat. Can you help me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 AM

539 posts, read 1,494,623 times
The sauce is key, but it is not hard to make the pork on the grill. I have done it on my gas grill and it comes out great. You want to use indirect heat, in other words have the meat on one side of the grill and the burners on the other side lit.
Get yourself a nice pork shoulder, wash and pat dry. Then it is up to you what kind of rub you want to put on. A rub is improtant in developing flavor as you slow cook it. I use a mixture of kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, brown sugar and a few other things.
Soak a few handfulls of wood chips in water for a few hours and make a smoke pouch out of foil. Put a handfull in the foil, wrap up and put in a few holes. set your grill to med-low heat, put wood pouch over lit side. You want your gril to be around 250-275. Put meat on other side and close lid. I like to put apple cider vinager in a mist bottle and spray the meat once in a while when I turn it. The meat will take about 8 hrs to cook, check the temp of meat. When done remove to cutting board and start to shread with 2 fork while hot. Place meat in large pan and I then put on the vinager/pepper flake sauce.
Hope this helps, it is not as hard as you might think even thou it is time consuming, but worth it. And since the meat is indirectly cooking you don't need to be standing at the grill the whole time.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:10 AM

416 posts, read 925,396 times
If you don't have a smoker, I'd recommend you just buy it from a restaurant. You can get a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker for about $250. Cheaper alternative to a Big Green Egg. I have a WSM and love it.

You can do it on the grill or in a crockpot, but it won't be as good as what you can get at a restaurant or in a grocery store.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,294,960 times
CAR - tried to rep you but it says I gotta spread the love b/f giving you points again . . . nice description and easy to follow advice. There are many ways to do this . . . but your grill method seems spot on.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
The sauce is key, but it is not hard to make the pork on the grill. I have done it on my gas grill and it comes out great. You want to use indirect heat, in other words have the meat on one side of the grill and the burners on the other side lit.
Get yourself a nice pork shoulder, wash and pat dry. Then it is up to you what kind of rub you want to put on. A rub is improtant in developing flavor as you slow cook it. I use a mixture of kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, brown sugar and a few other things.
Soak a few handfulls of wood chips in water for a few hours and make a smoke pouch out of foil. Put a handfull in the foil, wrap up and put in a few holes. set your grill to med-low heat, put wood pouch over lit side. You want your gril to be around 250-275. Put meat on other side and close lid. I like to put apple cider vinager in a mist bottle and spray the meat once in a while when I turn it. The meat will take about 8 hrs to cook, check the temp of meat. When done remove to cutting board and start to shread with 2 fork while hot. Place meat in large pan and I then put on the vinager/pepper flake sauce.
Hope this helps, it is not as hard as you might think even thou it is time consuming, but worth it. And since the meat is indirectly cooking you don't need to be standing at the grill the whole time.

Hmmm, we have a charcoal grill now. Got rid of the old gas grill. Guess we could just push the charcoal all the way over on the opposite side. Well it is worth a try. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

I did find some oven and crockpot recipes last night. I guess those are no good?

Now you didn't answer my one question though. Is the type I am thinking of, like from that Lancaster restaurant, the Eastern style?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 AM

415 posts, read 1,147,225 times
Car's advice is good. Only thing I would add is that you want to try to measure the temperature at the grid (where the meat is), rather than reading off the top.

You can make pretty good Q on a Weber kettle charcoal grill. Keep the coals out to the side, and periodically drop some hickory chips on top. One of my secrets is to get some bulb garlic, cut it into quarters, and drop it on the coals while smoking the meat.

You can make much better Q at home than you can get at a restaurant, once you get the hang of it.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 AM

850 posts, read 2,646,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Hmmm, we have a charcoal grill now. Got rid of the old gas grill. Guess we could just push the charcoal all the way over on the opposite side. Well it is worth a try. Thanks.
I use an old weber 22 inch grill. Set the coals on one side and shut down the bottom vent. You will need to add some coals every 2 hours or so. Normally the temp will stay around 225-250, smoke to 8-10 hours. You can also place the meat in a alum pan during the cooking will help keep in some of the moisture. During the last hour or so wrap in Alum foil. Will fall apart.
YUMMY!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,689,165 times
BBQ is a whole hog that is smoked on hardwood. This requires a lot of time and effort, the sort of thing where a group of family or friends might get together do it once or twice a year, and spread the cost and workload among a small group of people. If you want real BBQ, you're better off buying it.

However .. I agree with marndt and car421. You can use a boston butt or whole pork shoulder and put it on the charcoal grill, away from the heat source, and it will be very good. My opinion is that heating your grill over 250 degrees is too hot. 230 is optimal. You want the center of the meat to reach a bare minimum of 140, probably about 180, and no higher than about 210. Trim the fat before you cook it, and put a drip pan under the butt to catch the grease.

I like to make my own rub (paprika, garlic salt, white pepper, cumin, plus whatever else is on hand), and apply sauce once the meat is done, if at all. Another trick is to soak some wood (hickory, mesquite, etc.) in water overnight, and cook it on the grill next to the butt.

But please, do not attempt BBQ on a crock pot. I have a relative from Pennsylvania who attempts to "Show us how BBQ is done", by using a crock pot. She puts in so much effort, we can't help but be polite about it.

Last edited by le roi; 05-22-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,530,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Push half to one side and half to the other, leaving the bare spot in the middle of the grill.

soaked wood chips can go directly on the coals w/ a charcoal grill, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte