U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
1. NBA left a bad taste in our mouth with the George Shinn/Hornets debacle.
2. The arena vote. The people voted against it, but we built it anyway. The city basically bowed down to Johnson, built the arena the way he and the NBA wanted so that it wouldn't have enough seats to host the ACC tournament or any big college events.
3. The general decline in the NBA's popularity.
4. Johnson is kind of an absentee owner and has never really made much effort to reach out to the community here.
Sums up my feelings and includes what I have heard from others who have expressed their opinions directly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,987 times
everything coped wrote PLUS

1. Ticket prices were/are unrealistically expensive for the on-the-court product.
2. Johnson/Jordon made the team a UNC alumni club at the expense of quality.
3. Johnson's defiance and poor PR
4. Johnson's defiance and poor PR
5. Johnson's defiance and poor PR

Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 AM

BAYBOOK: Your post indicates that you feel people are glad to see Johnson fail. Why would you think this? Looks like you are pondering whether or not this was something personal against Johnson. I am curious why you would think it is personal rather than disappointment based on how the business has been handled in the ensuing years?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,306,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
BAYBOOK: Your post indicates that you feel people are glad to see Johnson fail. Why would you think this? Looks like you are pondering whether or not this was something personal against Johnson. I am curious why you would think it is personal rather than disappointment based on how the business has been handled in the ensuing years?
A great place for me to start: Bob Johnson seeks buyer for Bobcats | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/237/story/738988.html - broken link). 128 comments as of this point, and the vast majority negative. Some are overtly racial. Others are subtly racial. And still others with various and sundry bad feelings. There's no question why Bay thinks the way he does, after reading the comments in this article. For even more contempt for the team, read ANY of Tom Sorensens articles regarding the Cats.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,048,227 times
Hi Ani,

I was reading the comments on the observer story that Johnson is looking to sell the team. I was surprised by the number of commentors that expressed 1) Johnson shouldn't have been granted the team by the NBA 2) they would never support the Bobcats 3) Johnson was racist, 4) happiness that Johnson was loosing money or that the team would be sold. Ani, there was very little disappointment.

As a STH, I would think that a city would jump at the chance to have that type of sporting entertainment after foorball. I was always surprised by the number of people that would go to the games to root for the other team. Since the Observer site seems to enourage "idiot" comments, i thought I would post the question here for a more balanced view.

More food for thought on perception vs reality. Charlotte ticket prices really were cheaper than other franchises. I started in a package that put us in downstairs seats for 999 a year. I thought there were packages that started at less than 499 upper bowl. Where else could you go to a NBA game for $10.00

Also, based on the number of comments about UNC players, I'm guessing that the TarHeels(?) are not beloved in Charlotte. Is there another college team that folks support here?

Last observation, I saw Johnson attending games pretty often, so he was here and I got the impression that he actually cared/listened to what the ticket holders thought of their experience. There were operations issues for sure, but I feel that when folks complained, he looked up, listened and attempted to address.

I'm also curious as to how the business could have been run to make the team/Johnson more palatable to the area. Personally, I think the Bobcats and the players have been very supportive of the local community. I can't think of one player while on the team that has embarrased the team off the court or has not done a great job with community service. That's one of the reason's why I like them.

As a transplant, the dynamic is interesting. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Last edited by baybook; 05-22-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Hoagie, that's the article. And you are right about Sorensen. I can't believe he's a local writer. You would think the Bobcats and Johnson stole his wife and kicked his dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
A great place for me to start: Bob Johnson seeks buyer for Bobcats | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/237/story/738988.html - broken link). 128 comments as of this point, and the vast majority negative. Some are overtly racial. Others are subtly racial. And still others with various and sundry bad feelings. There's no question why Bay thinks the way he does, after reading the comments in this article. For even more contempt for the team, read ANY of Tom Sorensens articles regarding the Cats.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

1. Ticket prices were/are unrealistically expensive for the on-the-court product.
2. Johnson/Jordon made the team a UNC alumni club at the expense of quality.
N_S, I commented on your 1 and 2 in my other post.

What defiance?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Bay and Hoagie - I need to read the article so I am on the same page and understand the issue. Will be back, LOL!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,306,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
1. NBA left a bad taste in our mouth with the George Shinn/Hornets debacle. Bob Johnson is not George Shinn- boy, we sure know how to hold a grudge in NC!!
2. The arena vote. The people voted against it, but we built it anyway. The city basically bowed down to Johnson, built the arena the way he and the NBA wanted so that it wouldn't have enough seats to host the ACC tournament or any big college events. The arena vote only failed because of the "Living Wage" thing. The arena is funded by hotel/motel and rental car taxes. Its a beautiful facility, and adds alot to Uptown.
3. The general decline in the NBA's popularity. Baseball went through the same thing, with its multiple strikes/stoppages. Basketball will recover.
4. Johnson is kind of an absentee owner and has never really made much effort to reach out to the community here.
Who goes to a basketball game to see the owner?? Sure, he's made mistakes, but I could care less if I see him sitting courtside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
The man is a terrible owner, apart from naming the team after himself,(actually, the name was suggested by a panel that specializes in naming/branding sports franchises. Focus group participants also had a hand in the name. If you're not willing to research a point, it's probably best not to spread half-truths!) he also sent them out on the road for their final four or five games of the season, so his daughter could ride horses. (The money raised from this event goes to the Youth Foundation, to fund many different events throughout the year. Prior to this season, it had never really been an issue, and Johnson himself has said he will be rescheduling in the future, so as not to disrupt the Bobcats schedule. The league schedule is set by the NBA, so they also had a hand in how/where we finished.)Who the hell does that?. Oh yeah, and he kicked the Checkers out too. Seems kind of selfish doesn't it?(If you had the money he has, and could do those kind of things for your kids, I defy you to tell me you wouldn't!)

Larry Bird should have been picked to run the team(perhaps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

1. Ticket prices were/are unrealistically expensive for the on-the-court product.Please!! The team offered season tickets for $199! Find that in ANY sport- trust me, you wont!
2. Johnson/Jordon made the team a UNC alumni club at the expense of quality. Who knew Sean May was going to be a bust? When healthy, he's actually a pretty decent forward- perhaps in the top 10 in the league. Sam Vincent was a mistake-but we all make em! Frankly, I think Johnson/Jordan were trying to capture some of the blind loyalty that comes from NC fans, in regards to their college players (specifically Tar Heels). Who can blame them for that??
I know I'll catch hell for my opinions- whatever. I am not part of the Bobcats organization, and only have interest in them as a fan.

Sad thing is, when they become successful (probably in the playoffs 09-10), you wont be able to buy a SRO seat in the arena. Carolina fans are some of the most fickle people I've ever seen! Think I'm wrong? Look at BOA stadium when the Panthers are losing, as opposed to winning. Rather than embracing the Bobcats, and all that it could bring our city, people want to bash everything about them.

I'm curious to know how this would have panned out, had Larry Bird been the owner. I'm loathe to believe he would have been shown the contempt the Bob Johnson has been shown- regardless of the product he put on the floor. Is the underlying theme of this WHOLE thing some kind of racial issue? You be the judge...

Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,069,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I am kind of mentioned in the article, well in a number they tossed out anyway's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte