Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times

Advertisements

Bobcats had a family special recently for $10 per person you got a ticket, tee shirt and hot dog. Great deal and lots of fun. I will do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
So, instead of directing your (Charlotte collectively) anger at the mayor, and city council for backdooring the arena, we will forever have contempt for the Bobcats? It just doesnt make sense! I really suspect that many of the people who are critical of the Cats would actually find they have a good time at the games- and even some people who aren't fans of the NBA, might be entertained- if they allowed themselves to be. Point is, isnt it time to redirect our anger?

I would not say I have contempt for the Bobcats. All I'm saying is the whole situation started off on the wrong foot for many of the locals. I hope they succeed(after all the money has already been spent for this and it would be a shame to see it not work out). I have been to several of the games and will continue to do so. I just think the money should have been spent in other areas other than another NBA team.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
I hope BJ will sell the team to MJ. MJ seems to be the right fit to buy the Bobcats from BJ, and he's been wanting to own an NBA team for a long time. I know MJ may not be the best talen evaluator around, but as an owner, maybe he can hire some good basketball people around him to make some good, sound decisions that will help the team be successful. One more thing, when the Bobcats finally start winning and making the playoffs on a consistent basis, the fans will come, it's been proven plenty of times by the Panthers, people love a winner! I wish people will stop saying that we are a bad sports town, b/c we're no different from any other market when their team goes thru playoff droughts, who wants to spend their money on a bad product?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Regarding the negative posts in the CLT O, that is pretty much the standard fare. When I glanced over the article this AM I did not even bother to read the comments because I already knew what they were going to say. The posters over at the CLT O are a pretty nasty bunch.
Exactly, I get so sickened by a lot of those negative posts. It's like a lot of those people just live to be miserable. What a sad existence!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
N_S, I commented on your 1 and 2 in my other post.

What defiance?

I was specifically thinking of his criticism of "Charlotte Business Leaders" last year when he was chastising them for not supporting his franchise.

This was AFTER he took the following, very insular steps toward running his organization:

1. Could only see TV games on some terrible specialty channel only available to people with a particular service.
2. Sought no diversity in his staffing and didn't produce a very good product on the court despite the criticism and justifications.
3. According to local sports talk radio, refused to distribute promotional tickets for giveaways and local charitites (which was a big gaffe, in my book... especially when there are 10K empty seats).
4. INITIALLY set prices too high... especially considering that the citizens were already fuming about getting an arena they had specifically voted down.

The prices are a little more reasonable than they have been, and they finally scored a decent coach and that's promising. But it will take a little more than a season or two to smooth feathers.

People expected more from Johnson AND Jordan. They expected THEM to be a part of our community and not just treat us like we're a convenient place to park their assets... especially when their assets just got built on the backs of the taxpayers. Maybe the citizens are looking for an excuse to hate him, I don't know... all the more reason to fire up the PR machine and generate some positive publicity (which I rarely see).

And the whole "let's draft UNC players to capitalize on collegiate loyalty" think just REEKED of LAZY and INSINCERE. And don't forget that for every UNC fan there are two fans who can't stand 'em (the ABC crowd).

Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I hope BJ will sell the team to MJ. MJ seems to be the right fit to buy the Bobcats from BJ, and he's been wanting to own an NBA team for a long time. I know MJ may not be the best talen evaluator around, but as an owner, maybe he can hire some good basketball people around him to make some good, sound decisions that will help the team be successful. One more thing, when the Bobcats finally start winning and making the playoffs on a consistent basis, the fans will come, it's been proven plenty of times by the Panthers, people love a winner! I wish people will stop saying that we are a bad sports town, b/c we're no different from any other market when their team goes thru playoff droughts, who wants to spend their money on a bad product?
Not at all true. There are plenty of teams that are followed, regardless of how poorly they do. Specifically, I cite the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox. Prior to their recent success, the Sox hadnt won a World Series in 75+ years, yet their fans came. Perhaps an even better example is the Buffalo Bills- in spite of having lost 4 Super Bowls in a row, their following was and is still huge!

A big part of the attitude here comes from the people whose job it is to rally the fans. Prior to the success at the end of the season, you would be extremely hard pressed to EVER find anything positive written about the Cats by Bonnell, Sorensen, or Fowler. If you think I'm exaggerating, just look.

For whatever reason, the only press (written and word of mouth) is negative. Outside of the Cats fans, how many people know that Raymond Felton donates time and money, selflessly, to underprivelaged Charlotte kids? How many people are aware of the bus that the Bobcats and Presby assembled, which does free sports clinics, shots, check-ups, etc for inner city kids? Any of you know that Bobcat players donated their time to hold basketball clinics for Special Olympics kids? I suspect very few people know the extent of the generosity shown by this team, because apparently it is so much more cool (cosmopolitan, hip, whatever...) to bash them, than it is to admire them.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Not at all true. There are plenty of teams that are followed, regardless of how poorly they do. Specifically, I cite the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox. Prior to their recent success, the Sox hadnt won a World Series in 75+ years, yet their fans came. Perhaps an even better example is the Buffalo Bills- in spite of having lost 4 Super Bowls in a row, their following was and is still huge!

A big part of the attitude here comes from the people whose job it is to rally the fans. Prior to the success at the end of the season, you would be extremely hard pressed to EVER find anything positive written about the Cats by Bonnell, Sorensen, or Fowler. If you think I'm exaggerating, just look.

For whatever reason, the only press (written and word of mouth) is negative. Outside of the Cats fans, how many people know that Raymond Felton donates time and money, selflessly, to underprivelaged Charlotte kids? How many people are aware of the bus that the Bobcats and Presby assembled, which does free sports clinics, shots, check-ups, etc for inner city kids? Any of you know that Bobcat players donated their time to hold basketball clinics for Special Olympics kids? I suspect very few people know the extent of the generosity shown by this team, because apparently it is so much more cool (cosmopolitan, hip, whatever...) to bash them, than it is to admire them.
I get what you're saying, Hoagie 58! I am aware of a lot of the community outreach programs that a lot of the players do. I do get the sense that there is a lot of negative bias towards the Bobcats by a lot of the O beat writers. It's like a double-standard that exists between the Panthers and the Bobcats.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I was specifically thinking of his criticism of "Charlotte Business Leaders" last year when he was chastising them for not supporting his franchise.

This was AFTER he took the following, very insular steps toward running his organization:

1. Could only see TV games on some terrible specialty channel only available to people with a particular service. Most certainly a bad decision, but one that has been rectified.
2. Sought no diversity in his staffing and didn't produce a very good product on the court despite the criticism and justifications.No diversity? What exactly do you know about the people that make up the staff? Are you saying Bob didnt have enough "white" folks on staff? As for the product- the team played its 5th season this year- how many pro sports teams can you name that made the playoffs in 5 seasons? Not many.
3. According to local sports talk radio, refused to distribute promotional tickets for giveaways and local charitites (which was a big gaffe, in my book... especially when there are 10K empty seats).Actually, the Bobcats stopped giving out promotional corporation tickets. They are very big on philanthropy, and many of the players buy and donate tickets.
4. INITIALLY set prices too high... especially considering that the citizens were already fuming about getting an arena they had specifically voted down. Ive been a season ticket holder for 3 seasons. In my first season, I bought 2 seats for $10/game. Of course, if you think you should be able to sit courtside for $25, then by all means they were overpriced!

The prices are a little more reasonable than they have been, and they finally scored a decent coach and that's promising. But it will take a little more than a season or two to smooth feathers.

People expected more from Johnson AND Jordan. They expected THEM to be a part of our community and not just treat us like we're a convenient place to park their assets... especially when their assets just got built on the backs of the taxpayers. Maybe the citizens are looking for an excuse to hate him, I don't know... all the more reason to fire up the PR machine and generate some positive publicity (which I rarely see).Are you even looking????

And the whole "let's draft UNC players to capitalize on collegiate loyalty" think just REEKED of LAZY and INSINCERE. And don't forget that for every UNC fan there are two fans who can't stand 'em (the ABC crowd).
Felton and May both have NBA caliber talent. Who knew May would spend 3 seasons being broken?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
b/c we're no different from any other market when their team goes thru playoff droughts, who wants to spend their money on a bad product?
Oh please. That is not true! I am from Cleveland and let me tell you that they have some of the most loyal sports fans in the country, Browns fans specifically, and I think their record speaks for itself.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Oh please. That is not true! I am from Cleveland and let me tell you that they have some of the most loyal sports fans in the country, Browns fans specifically, and I think their record speaks for itself.
I agree. The thing is - we have not had a team here long enuff to create a feeling of loyalty. I feel people just never "bought into" the Bobcats. That was not true w/ the Hornets . . . then they got yanked. Turned a lot of people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte