U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,714,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Charlotte is not world-class, and neither is Atlanta.

The US has one world-class city that compares with London, Paris and Tokyo: New York.

It has several cities that compare with the second tier of world cities such as Munich, Rome, Madrid, etc, and they are: LA, SF, DC, CHI, Boston and Philadelphia.

All other US cities are basically suburban-centric and not world-class. Most Americans want suburban centric.

So you have developed a tier system of world class systems. LOL!! Sorry mate, your unwaivering opinion does't mean much. London is losing its status on an ongoing basis thanks to the emergence of Istanbul, Moscow and other formerly unpopular cities. London would be on equal standings presently with San Francisco and Los Angeles, whereas, the new "world class" cities that are replacing and/or equaling London are Barcelona, Rome, Bejing, and Bali. What in the world does "suburban-centric" have to do with world-class status? Is that another of your excellent ideas? LOL! You may not know this but most Americans like having the privacy of owning some land so their children can play, etc. This is an option that Americas are lucky enough to enjoy since land is not impossible to acquire in the U.S. as in most other countries or cities. This has absolutely nothing to do with world-class status. In summary, it is all relative and your opinion is only your opinion as is mine. Nevertheless, London is losing its status in the world to other emerging cities and that is a fact.

Last edited by vindaloo; 05-24-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM

148 posts, read 192,784 times
Hey man Charlotte is cool. You need to get out more often. You get a variety of outdoor activites and evergrowing nightlife and cultural centers such as museums and you are only a one hour plane ride from the only "world class city in the USA."
I was in Seattle a couple of years ago and believe it or not there was the same complaints being made of Seattle. Take a trip if you are bored and explore some other places. Life is to short and has so much to offer to waste in a place you are totally unhappy with.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM

85 posts, read 174,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
Hey man Charlotte is cool. You need to get out more often. You get a variety of outdoor activites and evergrowing nightlife and cultural centers such as museums and you are only a one hour plane ride from the only "world class city in the USA."
I was in Seattle a couple of years ago and believe it or not there was the same complaints being made of Seattle. Take a trip if you are bored and explore some other places. Life is to short and has so much to offer to waste in a place you are totally unhappy with.
i think most places you go, with the possible exception of a few cities, everybody makes the same complaints that we do on here.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM

26 posts, read 99,887 times
Could have been.

I always thought we had potential until I had to move to North Charlotte to get to UNC Charlotte.

When you have Charlotte Housing Authority advertisements on the radio, you have problems.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,039,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckroush View Post
When you have Charlotte Housing Authority advertisements on the radio, you have problems.
Promoting 'safe sex' of all things - surely they have more pressing issues, or maybe not.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
i think most places you go, with the possible exception of a few cities, everybody makes the same complaints that we do on here.
It doesn't matter what city one occupies. You will always hear people complain and whine. I lived in London for years and listened to Americans from all over complain because it is a little different from the exact place from where they came. It really shows ignorance when a person lives in a place as big as Charlotte and complains that there is nothing to do, or that it is not a world class city. Who give a rats ass about being a world class city. Most of the complainers probably have never been to a "world class" city.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Promoting 'safe sex' of all things - surely they have more pressing issues, or maybe not.
What? Is there a special going on somewhere?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,689,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
I really enjoy Charlotte but all other cities seem miles ahead of Charlotte. To compare Charlotte with cities like Atlanta, Tampa, Denver, Las Vegas...it's crazy. Yea 10-15 years down the road Charlotte might reach full potential, but for now..... You often see ATL - DC - LA - CHICAGO - NYC as the world class cites of america, you never will see Charlotte in this category, doesnt even look right. Limited features are a turnoff as well such as light rail; lame nightlife; diversity; arts & cultural scene. I know that Im not the only one that feels like this...I hear people complain all the time at my workplace...

Maybe you and the people at your workplace who are complaining could get together and find jobs in another city that's more suitable to your discriminating taste. Some of us like it just the way it is.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It doesn't matter what city one occupies. You will always hear people complain and whine. I lived in London for years and listened to Americans from all over complain because it is a little different from the exact place from where they came. It really shows ignorance when a person lives in a place as big as Charlotte and complains that there is nothing to do, or that it is not a world class city. Who give a rats ass about being a world class city. Most of the complainers probably have never been to a "world class" city.
Vindaloo, you hit the nail right on the head! I've been saying that forever. Charlotte IS a big enough city for you to find something to do that meets your tastes and likes. If you can't find anyting to do in Charlotte, then that's your problem and don't try to blame your misery on Charlotte or anyone else that lives there. My solution is simple, LEAVE, and go find your "Pot of Gold" somewhere else! Of course, those same people that's always complaining about Charlotte are still there, GO FIGURE!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Vindaloo, you hit the nail right on the head! I've been saying that forever. Charlotte IS a big enough city for you to find something to do that meets your tastes and likes. If you can't find anyting to do in Charlotte, then that's your problem and don't try to blame your misery on Charlotte or anyone else that lives there. My solution is simple, LEAVE, and go find your "Pot of Gold" somewhere else! Of course, those same people that's always complaining about Charlotte are still there, GO FIGURE!
They will leave and find a new place at which they can annoy the residents with their never ending bitching an irrational complaining. I looked all over the country and decided that this area is the best for all of my needs which are varied and even complex at times. So what if I can't find a good Martian restaurant in Charlotte. I will buy a Martian cookbook. Not a complicated matter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte