U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
 
9,564 posts, read 8,850,633 times
Reputation: 5773

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
You yourself are implying that.
I think you lumped all crimes into one big pile.

Commit a petty larceny...be chased.
Commit mass murder...be chased.

Which doesn't belong in this picture?
Have it your way. Just dont cry to me when its your house being robbed and the police say to you...oh wait its just a robbery, we won't pursue. When that happens come to me and tell me its okay not to pursue criminals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Southern NC
1,920 posts, read 4,335,650 times
Reputation: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Have it your way. Just dont cry to me when its your house being robbed and the police say to you...oh wait its just a robbery, we won't pursue. When that happens come to me and tell me its okay not to pursue criminals...
OK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
 
26 posts, read 99,861 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Seems to me you're advocating a "chase em til the wheels fall off, and damn the consequences!" mentality. So, you're ok with the police chasing whomever, whenever, wherever they want, with no regard for public safety? And, those of us that are upset by this are idiotic???
Yep. Any accidents are collateral damage. If my life is endangered by the police doing their job to set an example that you cannot get away, then I'm fine with that. Chasing after suspects regardless of the offense sends a message and may prevent future crimes and I'm O.K with that.

It is "soft people" such as yourself that have allowed crime to get out of control. On which offenses should we allow the criminals to get away? If you say all non-violent crime then you have given the green light to all thugs to just floor it and drive off, endangering lives.

So by your logic, if I am driving 130 mph on I-485, weaving between cars, I shouldn't have to worry about the police because I know they won't chase, right? Even though I'm endangering other people's lives I can be free to drive 130mph every time I travel to North Charlotte.

Last edited by Ckroush; 05-25-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckroush View Post
Yep. Any accidents are collateral damage. If my life is endangered by the police doing their job to set an example that you cannot get away, then I'm fine with that. Chasing after suspects regardless of the offense sends a message and may prevent future crimes and I'm O.K with that.

It is "soft people" such as yourself that have allowed crime to get out of control. On which offenses should we allow the criminals to get away? If you say all non-violent crime then you have given the green light to all thugs to just floor it and drive off, endangering lives.

So by your logic, if I am driving 130 mph on I-485, weaving between cars, I shouldn't have to worry about the police because I know they won't chase, right? Even though I'm endangering other people's lives I can be free to drive 130mph every time I travel to North Charlotte.
Well, maybe you can sign up to be the one whose life is endangered everytime there's a high speed police chase! Since you're such a "hard person", you shouldnt have any problems with hospitalizations for injuries associated with crashes!

As for your idiotic 130mph analogy, the FIRST thing I learned in EVOC (Emergency Vehicles Operation Course) is that the radio travels a whole hell of alot further than any souped up race car! That's why they make spike strips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,452,785 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckroush View Post
Yep. Any accidents are collateral damage. If my life is endangered by the police doing their job to set an example that you cannot get away, then I'm fine with that. Chasing after suspects regardless of the offense sends a message and may prevent future crimes and I'm O.K with that.

It is "soft people" such as yourself that have allowed crime to get out of control. On which offenses should we allow the criminals to get away? If you say all non-violent crime then you have given the green light to all thugs to just floor it and drive off, endangering lives.

So by your logic, if I am driving 130 mph on I-485, weaving between cars, I shouldn't have to worry about the police because I know they won't chase, right? Even though I'm endangering other people's lives I can be free to drive 130mph every time I travel to North Charlotte.
Yawn. Is your world really so black and white?

Since you expect the police to chase in every situation, you are in essence calling the police 'soft' for following their own, self-established, pursuit guidelines on an occasion when they deem a pursuit is not viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckroush View Post
On which offenses should we allow the criminals to get away?
Instead of asking a 'softie', why not just ask the police - they'll be happy to tell you themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,470 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
As for your idiotic 130mph analogy, the FIRST thing I learned in EVOC (Emergency Vehicles Operation Course) is that the radio travels a whole hell of alot further than any souped up race car! That's why they make spike strips.
Like I said before I easily see both sides of this debate. I kind of thought the 130 mph example was a good argument. If a guy flies by doing 130, they are already putting lives in danger. If the police do not follow how can they radio where to put the spikes strips down at? I see people getting kind of flippant and rude with each other over this and don't understand why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Like I said before I easily see both sides of this debate. I kind of thought the 130 mph example was a good argument. If a guy flies by doing 130, they are already putting lives in danger. If the police do not follow how can they radio where to put the spikes strips down at? I see people getting kind of flippant and rude with each other over this and don't understand why.
Frankly, the reason for my flippance was the "soft" comment. Had we been able to have a discussion, minus the name calling, I wouldnt have bristled. Typically my views are far from soft. But, there are times when one has to use common sense- and IMHO this was one of those times. High speed pursuit for shoplifting goes against both CPD policy, and common sense. The price paid for catching a SHOPLIFTER was someones life. Regardless of how you spin it (or how soft it makes me), the end result was far less than acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
1. I can't believe we now commonly use such terminology as "collateral damage" when an innocent bystander gets killed and no one thinks a thing of it. "Well, there was collateral damage, which is sad, but the police had to chase that shoplifter - society just wasn't gonna be able to continue unless we caught him."

2. I agree - we do not know how this transpired. Maybe the police officer had backed off and essentially "called off" the chase but the miscreant shoplifter escalated his speed and lost control on his own. We really don't know all the answers right now.

3. As to the illustration of the person driving 130 mph on our streets - well, that does happen here and sometimes it causes accidents and kills people, especially when the idiot is driving head on into traffic. Rarely is there a police officer "right there" when such things happen. Note the drag racing that cost several people their lives a month or so ago . . . people knew damn well that was against the law, but they still did it. So do you think it makes a flip to people who are gonna do such things as to whether or not LE is gonna try to chase the down? If it did, then we would not have a problem w/ drag racing in this city (and we do have a problem - google it).

4. I don't think this is a matter of "soft on crime" or "always blaming police." Come on, y'all - there are points being made on both sides. Innocent people's lives are a stake . . . and that matters! And yes, LE have the obligation and duty to try to apprehend criminals - so PLEASE let's not demonize any of our law enforcement. These men and women have a thankless enuff job as it is.

5. Should we be able to discuss this and agree that it is complicated and not a black and white, clear cut issue? I HOPE SO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top