Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times

Advertisements

Is my thinking that blacks should only date blacks racist? I judge people by their character, just like MLKJR suggested. There are thugs of all colors and class acts from all walks. You can digest and call me whatever you so choose. I stand by my OPINIONS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Is my thinking that blacks should only date blacks racist? I judge people by their character, just like MLKJR suggested. There are thugs of all colors and class acts from all walks. You can digest and call me whatever you so choose. I stand by my OPINIONS.

I'm not judging you, however you never came close to answering my question.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Default reply

I really cannot say definitively how I came to think the way I do. Most likely thru 43 years of living in the great state of North Cackalacky. Why does the Reverand Doctor William Barber feel the way he feels? What would happen if we had a National Association for the Advancement of White Folks? Or a White History Month? Or A Miss White America pagent? There would be riots in the streets. We have a black president. Enough said. Ther are no more glass ceilings except in some folks minds. I can site examples if you need it. This is finally the land of OPPURTUNITY for all. There is nothing wrong at all with mixed race unions. My family has never gone that route in 8 generations of living in NC. I sure hope that my kids will keep the streak alive. I have never known a friend that went that route. It is ok and acceptable in many circles. in mine it is not.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
@BrianH
I normally disagree with you, but I must say, in this case, you may be right.
:-)

Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Tupelo,

Your statement doesn't make much sense. If you disown your own kids over them marrying someone of another race, it has everything to do with race. But again, you didn't answer brian's question. If you are not a racist, why do you feel this way? And if you stand by your opinion, defend it.

As far as mixed-race kids getting the short end of the stick. I think that's less true these days. They're much more common. Socially there may be some issues and some personal identification struggles, but with a strong family network and a decent environment, they'll be just fine. Biologically, there is a theory that mixed-race people are often healthier because of their background.

This topic is veering off course..If anything, you're an example of who the op and her husband might be up against. So, thanks for shedding some light.

Quote:
There are many places in the Old North State where mixed race couples will feel comfortable, and there are many small town in the east, west, piedmont, sandhills where they will not. Such is life. Thinking that mixed race couples are fine is no more correct than someone thinking they are not. And white folks don't have a market on the latter. Plenty of black women that I have worked with or know HATE the idea of a black man and a white woman. I would die a real fast death if one of my children ever dated outside of the white race. And they would be out of an inheritance. That is just how I feel. Bluebirds should be with Bluebirds. My opinion has ZERO to do with race. There are many sorry whites, asians, blacks etc. People are people. I just think mixed race kids get the short end of the stick. Nothing anyone can say will ever change my mind. And plenty of non-whites feel the exact same way.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Default reply

you are sure welcome.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 AM

129 posts, read 339,141 times
Quote:
Is my thinking that blacks should only date blacks racist?
Yes.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
@BrianH
I normally disagree with you
You probably disagree with me at least 99% of the time and that's okay. But let's call UncleTupelo's logic what it is: a form of prejudice. And to me that's okay because I'm not out to legislate thought or condemn anyone for what they believe. If a black man wants to hate white people based solely on the color of his or her skin or be wary of me based on his or her own experiences, that's okay. It doesn't make him a bad guy the way I don't think UncleTupelo's a bad guy. It is what it is.

You're not gonna find anyone hanging from a noose outside of UT's porch nor do I think he has anywhere near that level of hatred. I'd hesitate to say it's racism but it's racially based form of prejudice, which I consider to be a big difference. He's sugar coating his views a bit in order to not be labeled a racist and I think that's the biggest problem with race relations, that lack of completely honest discourse.

But to keep this on topic at least the OP has an honest answer here. Can't get any better than that.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonekd View Post
My husband who is black and I (white)are planning to move to Charlotte from Minneapolis. Although we know that whereever you go there is bound to be someone who does not approve. We wanted to prepare ourselves for the level of tolerance and acceptance in this area of the country. Could you share your perspective on this based on your experiences? Thank You
As you can see from the various posts. You might not only want to be selective where you live but also where you ask questions. Not all forums are as warm and inviting as a drive thru might suggest nor are all neighborhoods.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
There are many places in the Old North State where mixed race couples will feel comfortable, and there are many small town in the east, west, piedmont, sandhills where they will not. Such is life. Thinking that mixed race couples are fine is no more correct than someone thinking they are not. And white folks don't have a market on the latter. Plenty of black women that I have worked with or know HATE the idea of a black man and a white woman. I would die a real fast death if one of my children ever dated outside of the white race. And they would be out of an inheritance. That is just how I feel. Bluebirds should be with Bluebirds. My opinion has ZERO to do with race. There are many sorry whites, asians, blacks etc. People are people. I just think mixed race kids get the short end of the stick. Nothing anyone can say will ever change my mind. And plenty of non-whites feel the exact same way.

Seems to me that if you were concerned and upset at the treatment your kids would get from the world around them, for being in a mixed relationship; as a parent (who supposedly loves their children) you would want to try to make their lives a little easier. Rather than piling on with more hate and "punishment" for daring to fall in love with someone of another race.

But hey, that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte