Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonekd
My husband who is black and I (white)are planning to move to Charlotte from Minneapolis. Although we know that whereever you go there is bound to be someone who does not approve. We wanted to prepare ourselves for the level of tolerance and acceptance in this area of the country. Could you share your perspective on this based on your experiences? Thank You
sharonekd you are right, "whereever you go there is bound to be someone who does not approve." This quote is from an older thread about diversity questions. I think it relates to your OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's like Em and Ani said above "Charlotte is much more successfully integrated than most of the Northeast." We just don't think like you guys up north apparently do (about race and living in the same areas) down here because we are so used to living in mixed neighborhoods. Most of our neighborhoods are truly only segregated by the color green. For 20 years I have had Indian neighbors, Philipino neighbors, black neighbors, white neighbors, Mexican neighbors - you name it. We just don't care about our neighbors races here - it does NOT devalue our property to live in a mixed race neighborhood like I guess it does in the neighborhoods of other cities up north. Here we want our neighbors to be of like VALUES, no necessarily like colors . We want them to care about the community, keep their yard neat, volunteer at the local schools, BE good neighbors.
I don't mean this disrespectfully but uncletupelo and some others do not live in or near Charlotte. This area is a very diverse city and is quite integrated. Those who do or have lived here are all saying the same thing based on personal and anecdotal experience regarding the "tolerance and acceptance in this area".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
To summarize: you will do fine. A very few azzes might say something, very very few, and you should not care what those jerks say or think. You all will be fine. Good Luck.
Does that mean everyone will approve? No but i do not think you will feel out of place in Charlotte.

**Although it shouldn't matter, I have been in an interracial relationship in Charlotte. I know/have known other couples as well.

Other threads

Interracial family considering Charlotte
Is Charlotte accepting of interracial couples?
Move to Charlotte Area from MA Interracial Family
Diversity question
Biracial (asian/hispanic) Family Moving To Charlotte Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I thnk it's *more* of a generational thing than a North/South thing....I don't bat an eye at mixed relationships, could care less. It seems that those that are in my parents age group have more strong opinions about it tho because they actually lived in an era whee things were a lot different than they are today.

I don't see personally any more racism here than up North. Rural areas are more racist, but they are up North too (definitely). I could be naive, but that's how it seems to me.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
I agree that it is more generational, sophialee.

To clarify Loves bolded that sentence in response to another post in that thread. My point was not about regional differences but the latter part that
Quote:
Most of our neighborhoods are truly only segregated by the color green.
Therefore mixed neighborhoods and families are not uncommon here.

Last edited by NCgirl; 05-30-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I don't see personally any more racism here than up North. Rural areas are more racist, but they are up North too (definitely). I could be naive, but that's how it seems to me.

But it's not really racism. What UT's describing doesn't completely fall under the umbrella of racism. It's a strong, racially motivated prejudice but so long as he's not hurting anyone, hanging blacks from nooses (noosii?) on his porch, burning crosses and flinging emotional abuse, I could care less what he does or how he thinks. He's probably a great guy but just with a thing against his kids marrying blacks...the same way there are probably a lot of great black people out there who have it against their kids marrying whites. So what? Who cares? If that's the outlet their prejudices take, that's a lot better than the way it used to be.

And let's say he does have a pure hatred of black people. So? If a black person has a hatred of white people, so what? I don't think myself, baybrook, UT, or anyone else really needs the acceptance of anyone of the opposite color in order to go about our day. If you don't like me because I'm white, oh well. What am I gonna do? Certainly not care, that's for damn sure. And if you don't like who I marry, hey...it's my life, not yours.

The more you try defining what's right and what's wrong, the more you're going to start dividing as opposed to uniting. If you try forcing the round peg into the square hole, something's gonna break and that's never pleasant.

So to the OP don't sweat it. I don't care who you married and I don't think you care who I married. I'd bet that's the prevailing sentiment around here.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
^^^^^^^^^
UT are you from Harker's Island or down east? I know many a daughter down that way getting disowned for going outside their race.

anyways. I do think there is a difference between racism & prejudice. We all have prejudice. I'm from Havelock, I'm headed to Goldsboro, but in between I'm in San Diego learning to be a Marine recruiter.

I'm black, my roommate is white. As a matter of fact, he was stationed at Cherry Point before coming out here to the school. We get along well, have no issues, have gone out together and become pretty good friends. He also goes out to dinner every Friday once a week with a set of Marines from his group (we're in the same class, different groups), most of which are Hispanic, including the one he's closest to/hangs out w/ the most. The one who he hung out with in his room until after midnight last night. Still with all this, he does not believe in interracial relationships. He thinks white should only date whites, and the same for everyone else. He has a 6-month old and I know he'd be devastated if she dated outside her race. I don't think this Marine is racist in the least, he just has his own set of prejudices.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Well said macjr. And thanks you very much for your service to our country.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
If I had a son or daughter looking to marry a black woman or man....I wouldn't go as far as UT will. They'd probably be met with a really long string of, "Are you reeeeeeeally sure" type of questions (maybe a bribe or two... ) as I think most people of any race and maybe a few religions would. I'd lean towards keeping it in house myself but ultimately who am I to say.

I'd just..you know...make sure they check out with the police and we're good to go.

It's a joke!!!!! Geeeeeez......

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
And to think, on this day, I almost gave you rep points. HAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'd just..you know...make sure they check out with the police and we're good to go.

It's a joke!!!!! Geeeeeez......

Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
And to think, on this day, I almost gave you rep points. HAH

You know you want to.

Go ahead...I know you want to.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Because I usually don't notice such things, I was previously oblivious.

But, if you want to attend a church here in Charlotte, Mosaic has a LOT of inter-racial couples (including the pastor and his wife!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte