Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,691 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have a few questions on Charlotte. First off about me, I'm a 26 year old male/Serious relationship/Straight, I like the nightlife such as bars and eats. But I'm not so big on the "downtown living" scene. I have lived in St. Louis metro, Seattle, Spokane and Charleston, SC. I have visited Charlotte 3 times now and have fallen in love (big enough but yet still small town feel). I have recently gotten out of the Military and need a fresh place to call home, I'm going to school and will be working part-time. I've been looking and reading the posts and think that South End would be the place for me. But I want to live somewhere where I can walk to bars, restaurants but still not feel as if I'm in the downtown area of the city. I guess i'm looking for something in between a downtown condo and the burbs. I'm driving down this Friday to check out the city more in depth and to look at apt. complexes. What are some good, non-touristy spots to check out? What neighborhoods are worth looking at? I've driven around Pineville and Balentyne areas and the South Park mall area. I'm unfamiliar with Dillworth and South End neighborhoods. What are some places in town to stay away from? I have checked the crime maps from the CMPD website and stats on other various sites as well. I would appreciate any feedback and would love to hear firsthand other than a statistical site! As of right now for the move I'm thinking of an apt for right now. My price range is anywhere up to $900ish. Thanks again, I wish I would have known about these forums sooner, I'm now an avid reader and poster of this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,765,012 times
I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say welcome and thank you for your service to our country! Good luck with your move. I'm sure you will like living in Charlotte.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times
Hey, Nomad! Like SSD - just wanted to welcome you to the area and thank you for your military service. I am not much help on suggesting specific apartments that fit what you are thinking about, b/c my idea of comfort is a suburban area (or apartments near a park) and then drive to wherever you want to go to eat/hang out, LOL. I would suggest living in S. Charlotte where you have everything from bookstores to coffee shops to taverns/restaurants within a few miles drive.

However, hopefully others will post who can give you some real info on Southend and what may be available there.

In any case, there are definitely decent apartments here that are safe. Just post to let us know what you are thinking about b/c I personally have found a lot of places that look decent may not be so decent after all (lousy tenants and/or lousy management).

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Anifani and ssd, thanks a bunch! Talked with the g/f and it seems she likes the Matthews, Ballantyne areas. Is there anything you can tell me about the area of 9200 Willow Ridge Road Charlotte, NC 28210? She's concerned on location since its borderline east Charlottte. We are not considering: Willow Ridge (South End), Marquis at Carmel Commons (South), Andover Woods and Cheswyck at Ballantyne, The Waterford Lakes Apt, Plantation Park at Ballantyne and The Fairways at Piper Glen. I've read all the reviews and none seem really bad. But of course with me being military I'm really low maintainance when it comes to apt living. Thanks again guys and its really nice to meet you!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times
Now - was that a typo? You are not considering the apartments you listed? Or you ARE considering those?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Typo

Typo, sorry, I'm posting as I get ready for work. My mistake. We are considering those. Thanks for the catch Ani.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 AM

310 posts, read 669,648 times
Willow Ridge? Ha, a lot of my friends live in there. It's a good neighborhood at least from what I've seen hanging out here (I practically live there ha). A good mix of families/single people/couples as well as ethnically diverse. Both Pineville Police and CMPD make semi-regular patrols through there, so crime isn't an issue (not that the tenants I've met would need the patrols). As far as the borderline East Charlotte thing - yes you're right up in there but it's pretty convenient if you ask me. You've got the mall, South Carolina one way down 51, Matthews and 74 and on out to Indian Trail and beyond if you go the other way, easy 485 access, Park road goes back out and into downtown if you're inclined to ever spend time down there. I like it a lot. And as the other posters have said - thank you for your service, sir. You guys don't hear that enough.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 AM

123 posts, read 302,219 times
Promenade Park on Ballantyne Commons and Providence Park are also good. Promenade Park is having very low rents (around 1K) for their 3 bedroom apts, if you like. Providence Park is having 2 section -- old and new. Older building is cheaper (obviously) but are still good. Both the communities are very good.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,765,012 times
I just remembered a place in Huntersville. Not sure if it is too far out but it is in walking distance to Birkdale Village. Redcliffe At Kenton Place. My friend just became the property manager there last month. I don't know how much but it is very nice.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times
To the OP: Thank you for your service to us. Remember this on Veteran's Day! I tell the folks I meet in person on that day but it's unlikely I'll meet you. Good luck in Charlotte, I wanted to move there but couldn't swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte