Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Any info you can provide will help!

1. Does your company have an EAP? (Employee Assistance Program)

2. Have you been fully informed about what services are provided, i.e., substance abuse program/counseling, legal aid, elder care, family counseling, etc.

3. If you have been laid off, are you still able to access those services (as part of your severance package or thru/ COBRA). If you are not sure, please post and tell me that or PM me - as I need gauge if people are possibly unaware as to what services they may be able to still access once their job ends (for an awareness program).

4. Are you aware of any Suicide Prevention hotlines that you could call if you were concerned about a family member, friend or coworker?

Last edited by brokensky; 05-27-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
Hi Ani - here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

1. Does your company have an EAP? (Employee Assistance Program) Yes

2. Have you been fully informed about what services are provided, i.e., substance abuse program/counseling, legal aid, elder care, family counseling, etc. We have information and a brochure posted on our Intranet site.

3. If you have been laid off, are you still able to access those services (as part of your severance package or thru/ COBRA). If you are not sure, please post and tell me that or PM me - as I need gauge if people are possibly unaware as to what services they may be able to still access once their job ends (for an awareness program). Interesting question. I don't know if you can still access the EAP after being laid off. Let me do some digging and see if I can find out.

4. Are you aware of any Suicide Prevention hotlines that you could call if you were concerned about a family member, friend or coworker? There are a few phone numbers provided in our EAP brochure.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Hi Ani - here you go!
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am needing, including the info about having a brochure and knowing about a website that can be accessed.

I am working on an awareness plan (f/ mental health provider perspective). We need to find out if workers (in general) know what programs are available - and where to go to get further info.

I am especially interested in knowing what may or may not be available to laid off workers (and if laid off workers even know what benefits they still may have).

Your response is very helpful and I appreciate it!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
You know, I never even thought about the EAP when I was laid off in Cali, so I definitely wasn't aware of whether or not it was available afterwards. I know that at least my impression was that the COBRA that was available only included medical.

My daughter's company just sent out a flyer regarding their EAP with the annual enrollment info, but it doesn't provide a lot of information regarding what is available, just several bullet points on a pretty piece of cardboard. And I find their site difficult as far as sussing out info.

And I have no clue as far as suicide hotlines. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that at any company I've worked for. You'd think I'd be more aware of that since my mom worked one during her MFCC internship!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
As a P.S. to that, I was handed so much paperwork when I was laid off that I got really overwhelmed and I'm sure I missed a lot. I think it would have been nice to have a cover sheet with bullet points of what was available, and then which packet/page to find that info in.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM

457 posts, read 1,377,637 times
Ani, when I was laid off last summer they did offer 90 days of EAP assistance which included mental health counseling services. COBRA coverage was offered as well, for however long you choose. Fortunately, I have lifetime helath benefits from my former employer back in NJ. Hope this helps!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:

1. Does your company have an EAP? (Employee Assistance Program) Yes

2. Have you been fully informed about what services are provided, i.e., substance abuse program/counseling, legal aid, elder care, family counseling, etc. Yes

3. If you have been laid off, are you still able to access those services (as part of your severance package or thru/ COBRA). If you are not sure, please post and tell me that or PM me - as I need gauge if people are possibly unaware as to what services they may be able to still access once their job ends (for an awareness program). I think so. Since BH benefits are part of medical, if one elects COBRA, the access to the benefits stay.

4. Are you aware of any Suicide Prevention hotlines that you could call if you were concerned about a family member, friend or coworker?
Yes.

Let me know if you need additional details!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
1. Yes, for EAP.
2. Yes, manual and easy access to services on the company homepage. Also, many signage in breakroom.
3. Yes, we have 90 days w/Cobra.
4. Yes, I'm well aware of the hotlines to call when stressful situations occur.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:

1. Does your company have an EAP? (Employee Assistance Program)

My company has a few good assistance programs.

2. Have you been fully informed about what services are provided, i.e., substance abuse program/counseling, legal aid, elder care, family counseling, etc.

Yes. The information on these programs comes in a package when you are hired as well as online. Every now and then there is a company-wide e-mail reminding people of these programs and where one can go to get even more information.

3. If you have been laid off, are you still able to access those services (as part of your severance package or thru/ COBRA). If you are not sure, please post and tell me that or PM me - as I need gauge if people are possibly unaware as to what services they may be able to still access once their job ends (for an awareness program).

I am not sure. Good question.

I am aware that such hotline exists, but I couldn't tell you the number which makes it useless to me I guess.
I guess I should inquire about many of these items you bring up. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM

You guys are great!!! I will be having a conference call shortly . . . and the info you have shared has given me insight into what we need to emphasize w/ marketing for this particular EAP. Not only that - we need to make sure displaced workers are given something concise that explains what benefits are still accessible and for how long.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you taking time to help me do my job better. You just helped me stay employed. If I don't provide good info and solutions . . . I won't keep bringing in the paychecks. I feel like I was able to tap into a think tank of experts. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte