Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts considering Charlotte-Mecklenburg's recent announcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM

416 posts, read 928,125 times
Its a tough economy for everyone...teachers included. I'm sorry they are having to take a small paycut, but its better than a massive layoff.

Like other professions, teaching salaries should revolve around supply/demand. Right now there is a huge surplus of people trying to get into teaching as the economy is bad. As a result, a teacher unhappy with the decrease in pay can be replaced.

As far as quality goes, I don't believe CMS has a very effective barometer for measuring teaching performance. So I doubt the pay cut has too much of an influence on the quality of our teachers overall.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
My thoughts are that tax revenues are down so there isn't enough money to pay everyone employed their current salaries. You can take across the board measures (like pay cuts) are maintain salaries for some and start letting other people go. Both options stink, but some people have the unenviable task of having to decide between the lesser of two evils. It's just the reality of the situation. Nothing nefarious about it.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
What are your thoughts considering Charlotte-Mecklenburg's recent announcement?
chicagocubs - I would think the morale of the CMS teachers has just about reached its nadir at this point. I came from NJ where "cuts" to teacher salaries would be unheard of. The teacher's union has a contract with any given municipality and those terms must be adhered to, even if it causes taxes to go up to cover their salary and health benefit increases. The town and its citizens never get to say "we can't afford it"! This, of course is the number one reason taxes in NJ are so high! I used to decry the abuses of the taxpayers this situation created in NJ, but here in NC, I feel sorry for many of the teachers who don't have tenure protection and pay a relatively high percentage of the cost of their benefits.

If I were a college student thinking of teaching as a career, I'd be looking at this situation wondering whether teaching was a wise career move. I've often wondered if there is as high a percentage of teaching grads from a place like Duke versus an NC state college when you have to think about paying off student loans!

I hope that any layoffs involve getting rid of as much "dead wood" out of the CMS system as possible.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Thanks everyone. I am writing a paper on the subject and wanted to get as many differing viewpoints as possible.

(although I tend to agree with Emissary )

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
It looks like the state wants to "help out" CMS by doing away with a few EOC tests that measure Math and Science skills.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/747216.html (broken link)

To me, that smacks of "not noticing" that the Emperor's rear end is sticking out of his pants. This gives CMS an out... in not having to report what would surely be declining math and science test scores in the future - more of the great "dumbing-down" effect!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 05-27-2009 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,038 times
Ok....Those schools that have students encouraged by their parents and that only care about being rappers - go to an all new high tech A/V Rap only magnet school. That will save about 3 schools entire teachers salary budget. Close three schools and consolidate those remaing schools and students that want to learn and give these teachers a 10% pay increase.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
CHI - just thought I would mention that our school system is not the only one in the nation experiencing budget shortfalls resulting in cutbacks.

I was surprised when I looked at news from my former home in Kansas to find that their school system is cutting back $10 M worth of jobs and is still facing another $8.5 M deficit for 2009-10. I found it interesting, tho, that they chose to cut 144 jobs wh/ includes not only teachers, but also counselors, campus police, counselors and school administrators. I am uncertain as to how many administrators will be cut w/ CMS's layoffs. ???

Haven't taken the time to see if this is going on all over the nation, but I suspect it is happening in many school systems.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Ok....Those schools that have students encouraged by their parents and that only care about being rappers - go to an all new high tech A/V Rap only magnet school. That will save about 3 schools entire teachers salary budget. Close three schools and consolidate those remaing schools and students that want to learn and give these teachers a 10% pay increase.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,038 times
I know it makes too much sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte