U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times

Advertisements

Camp Meetings in NC

For those of you who have moved here, I thought I would share a bit of our history wh/ most likely, you are not aware of - and will probably never hear discussed a lot.

I am hoping MarvinNative will add some more to this thread!!! Her family has a long tradition associated w/ Camp Meetings . . .

Camp Meetings - Brief History (from link below)

During the 1800s, there were no resident ministers, and families lived on farms that were great distances from each other. A group people of the Methodist faith wanted to have a camp meeting that would allow the folks to fellowship together while attending religious services. The group decided upon a camp meeting that would take place in August, it would run for one to two weeks, and people of all faiths would be invited to attend.

Due to the popularity of camp meeting, many of the folks built their own permanent wooden tents (that look like cabins) to house their families. A wooden arbor, located at the center of the campground, was built for their religious services.

Camp meeting is an important part of Catawba County’s culture. Today, it remains an annual tradition for many who live in or visit Catawba County.

Historical Sites of Catawba County-Campgrounds

Here is a link to the Balls Creek Campground, in Catawba County:

Balls Creek Campground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Camp Meetings in NC

For those of you who have moved here, I thought I would share a bit of our history wh/ most likely, you are not aware of - and will probably never hear discussed a lot.

I am hoping MarvinNative will add some more to this thread!!! Her family has a long tradition associated w/ Camp Meetings . . .

Camp Meetings - Brief History (from link below)

During the 1800s, there were no resident ministers, and families lived on farms that were great distances from each other. A group people of the Methodist faith wanted to have a camp meeting that would allow the folks to fellowship together while attending religious services. The group decided upon a camp meeting that would take place in August, it would run for one to two weeks, and people of all faiths would be invited to attend.

Due to the popularity of camp meeting, many of the folks built their own permanent wooden tents (that look like cabins) to house their families. A wooden arbor, located at the center of the campground, was built for their religious services.

Camp meeting is an important part of Catawba County’s culture. Today, it remains an annual tradition for many who live in or visit Catawba County.

Historical Sites of Catawba County-Campgrounds

Here is a link to the Balls Creek Campground, in Catawba County:

Balls Creek Campground
Very interesting. We have 2 camps in Lincoln County (that I know of). When we first moved here I was very interested in finding out about them.
My husband emailed me this a while ago.
USC News - African-American camp meetings in the Carolinas focus of upcoming McKissick Museum exhibit

Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,384,156 times
There is the Pleasant Grove Methodist campground in Mineral Springs, just outside Waxhaw,NC. Established around 1830 and currently used today.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Ooohhh - I would love to see all those photos in the collection.

Thanks so much for this link, SSD. At many (if not all) campgrounds, there were sections where the slaves congregated and socialized. I am not sure about this but I think that worship included everyone - black and white, but as was typical for the era, slaves and their families were relegated to the back rows or a section to the side. One can easily understand the roots of segregation when examining practices that were customary during the 18th and 19th Centuries. Segregation in public establishments continued well into the first half of the 20th Century. Seems hard to understand now.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,106 times
It's funny when we were first looking at homes here, there was a neighborhood I liked that was very close to one of these camps. We did not buy there because I didn't know what it was and I did not like the way it looked(that's the northern in me, sorry). Now that I know what it is I would love to live near such a part of southern history.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
It's funny when we were first looking at homes here, there was a neighborhood I liked that was very close to one of these camps. We did not buy there because I didn't know what it was and I did not like the way it looked(that's the northern in me, sorry). Now that I know what it is I would love to live near such a part of southern history.
Hee Hee! Believe me, SSD, if I were not Southern and didn't know about these campgrounds and their history, I would have wondered "what the heck? why are all these old buildings stuck out in the woods???" and I would not have wanted to be near such a place, either, LOL!!!!

These camps were placed in the woods (obviously) to keep things a bit cooler in the summer. I can still see the old ladies w/ their fold-out fans sitting and rocking back and forth in the heat.

I was probably 12 or so before I realized that everyone all across the country did NOT have camp meetings, LOL. My church was not associated w/ any of the campgrounds, but I had relatives who owned "tents" - so my family often attended (but rarely did I stay overnight). I was always so envious of the kids who got to spend the nite . . .

Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 PM

769 posts, read 1,984,500 times
Man, this brings back some of the happiest memories of my childhood!! We went to camp meeting every year. It was just east of Monterey, California. My grandparents had a tent until they got a trailer and that was our main base at the camp meeting itself. Then the boarding high school that my mom had gone to had a mile of ocean front, with a fabulous bluff for camping on. Still miss it!! The food was fantastic - I can use all the same ingredients here at home and it never tastes even close!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
ASC

50 posts, read 121,594 times
The Church of God, Cleveland,TN (my denomination) also has a long history with campmeetings, as the church primarily grew out of a revival that lasted for months (maybe years). I have pictures of all the old campmeetings from the Church of God in years past. The Church of God of North Carolina's campgrounds used to be on Wilkinson Blvd. up until the 1990's when they sold it. Now, it's held in the Great Smokey Mountains. Anyways, our campmeetings started out in a huge tent (and I mean huge, a tent that could seat a few thousand) and then they raised money for a tabernacle, but that is the church on the state level. Our local church has Campmeeting every year, except it's a little more modern. The campmeeting is held in the sanctuary, and people "camp" in motels and hotels. For us, Campmeeting is just like a huge revival where people come from far and wide (Florida to New York to California) to worship. Our campmeeting may seem modern from the outside, but step into the worship service, and you'll see otherwise. It's still a good 'ol fashioned camp meeting, with lots of upbeat southern gospel (not the slow, put you to sleep kind), the hand-clappin', foot stompin', type of gospel, great preaching, and great altar services. Preaching is normally over about 8:30 8:45, but there are often people who linger in the altars praying and worshipping until late, late, late, like after midnight. That's the joy of campmeeting. There's no set schedule, people have travelled far and wide and by golly they're going to enjoy every minute of it. Our campmeeting is June 15th through the 19th this year if anyone wants to be brave and come enjoy an Old-Time Southern Pentecostal Campmeeting.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,108 times
Hey Ani, here I am. Here's a link to some posts about Pleasant Grove Camp Meeting in Mineral Springs. I married into one of the founding families. My husband comes from a long line of "trustees" of this camp meeting. Our meeting date has shifted around (to accommodate the changing start of school), but it currently starts on the THIRD Sunday in July and runs though "Big Sunday" the FOURTH Sunday in July.

Anyone know what this complex is in Waxhaw?

Someone recently started a Facebook group on Pleasant Grove Camp Meeting, and it has turned into a fun outlet for folks to post pictures and recollections.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hey Ani, here I am. Here's a link to some posts about Pleasant Grove Camp Meeting in Mineral Springs. I married into one of the founding families. My husband comes from a long line of "trustees" of this camp meeting. Our meeting date has shifted around (to accommodate the changing start of school), but it currently starts on the THIRD Sunday in July and runs though "Big Sunday" the FOURTH Sunday in July.

Anyone know what this complex is in Waxhaw?

Someone recently started a Facebook group on Pleasant Grove Camp Meeting, and it has turned into a fun outlet for folks to post pictures and recollections.
I was getting ready to send you a PM and say - Please can you come add to this thread?

As you know, I have checked out the FB group and looking at all the photos was a real joy! Like a time capsule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or