U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,382 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte in August. We have narrowed our search to either the Ardrey Kell or Providence High school districts. Our son will be rising junior and plays baseball. Any thoughts on which school would be best? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM

841 posts, read 1,239,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase12 View Post
We will be moving to Charlotte in August. We have narrowed our search to either the Ardrey Kell or Providence High school districts. Our son will be rising junior and plays baseball. Any thoughts on which school would be best? thanks
From what I gather both are equally great schools, though I can not speak to the baseball programs, though I do know that AKHS had one heck of a pitching prospect this year.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM

38 posts, read 104,192 times
what i heard from our colleagues is that the older school has better sports program
ofcourse we were talking basketball and voted south mecklenberg over these two

Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM

240 posts, read 658,462 times
Smile Ardrey Kell

Ardrey Kell has one of the best baseball coaches - HAL BAGWELL.

AK beat Providence HS and i think you will find that AK went to the State Championships.

I have a daughter at this school and she loves it. Classes are challenging, wonderful teachers.

A lot of people now consider AK to be one of the top CMS high schools and we do have both a competitive academic program and also are very highly regarded in many sports to.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,554,337 times
I think your son would do fine at either school, both have high ratings. Check NC School Report Cards for comparative school information including test scores. What you may want to do when you visit is set up appointments to speak with the principals at both schools. Sometimes that can help you get a sense as to where you feel your son might be most comfortable.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:05 PM

797 posts, read 2,983,778 times
Yes, AK def. for baseball -it's a top school.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 74,004 times
he may have an easier time making friends at adrey kell, than providence...the providence kids more so than adrey kell have grown up together and been to several schools together already

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM

206 posts, read 453,983 times
Default Ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan4life View Post
he may have an easier time making friends at adrey kell, than providence...the providence kids more so than adrey kell have grown up together and been to several schools together already
Good point, I think there are more newly transplanted students at AK which will help your child with the transition. My son is a freshman there and by CMS standards it may be a great school - for me the jury is still out. A lot depends on your expectations. I give credit to the hard working teachers who have 30+ class sizes.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,554,337 times
Check out this in the Charlotte Observer today, Ardrey Kell playing for the 4A State title:

Ardrey Kell will play for 4A state title | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/758208.html - broken link)

Old 06-03-2009, 02:29 PM

240 posts, read 658,462 times
Smile Ardrey Kell

The current 9th grade are mainly from CHMS and there were not many from the other middle schools zoned.
As CHMS only had an 8th grade in 2007/2008, these are the first kids from that school to attend AK.
My daughter is not a cliche type and she made many friends that she never talked to whilst at CHMS and met some kids from JM Robinson to.
There were also kids that moved from other States.
She has enjoyed being in class with 10, 11 and 12 graders for some subjects and they have all been very nice.

I know next year, the school will have even more from CHMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte