Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,127 times

Advertisements

I was traveling in NC from out of state and recevied a ticket going south on I-85 for 79mph in a 65. This was in Rowan County and my court date is set in early July for the courthouse in Salisbury.

I've been doing a lot of research about how to handle this ticket, but I am unsure whether to go to court myself or hire an attorney. I inadvertantly admitted to speeding at the scene so I wasn't planning on fighting this tooth and nail, just hoping to reduce the penalty to ensure I don't get points on my license and increased insurance rates (I don't care about the court costs). This is my first ticket and besides this incident, my record is emaculate.

So, I hear Salisbury is notorious for issuing speeding tickets. Will I be allowed to speak with the DA in court prior to my case being heard to plead something lesser? When I called the DA's office they said that I'd only be able to talk with the DA in "open court". Will I be given the opportunity to lower the penalities or receive a prayer for judgement prior to addressing the judge? Would it be best to just get a lawyer? If anyone has recent experience with this particular jurisdiction I'd like to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Others may disagree, but especially w/ your being from out of town, I would just get an attorney.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
others may disagree, but especially w/ your being from out of town, i would just get an attorney.
+1

Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
If this is your first time and you don't plan on getting others, just take the class, it's cheaper.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
If this is your first time and you don't plan on getting others, just take the class, it's cheaper.
The problem is that technically, according to NC law, anything over 75 could result in a loss of driving privileges. I have had my share of tickets, and this has never happened to me, but according to the law it could.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
If its like Charlotte at all they will offer to drop it to 5 mph over the speed limit.

Or you could have a lawyer go and get the same thing for you.

Really just depends on if you want to pay the lawyer or do it yourself.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
As I read it, she's not from NC. If that's the case, the prayer for judgment shouldn't be applicable, neither should our "lose your license" threat of excessive speeding. If your state offers a driver's class for reducing or eliminating the record of the ticket, I'd take that and be done with it. Don't feed the bottom scavenging ticket attorneys if you don't have to.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
As I read it, she's not from NC. If that's the case, the prayer for judgment shouldn't be applicable, neither should our "lose your license" threat of excessive speeding. If your state offers a driver's class for reducing or eliminating the record of the ticket, I'd take that and be done with it. Don't feed the bottom scavenging ticket attorneys if you don't have to.

I knew it! Just as soon as we start talking to each other again!!!!!

As Barney Fife says, "Tic-a-lock... tic-a-lock"

Hang in there Steve!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,127 times
I live in Atlanta right now for school but have a Maryland license. What I am most concerned with is my insurance rates increasing. I'm willing to drive to Salisbury myself for the court date, but I don't want it to be a waste if I end up not getting the penalities reduced, when a lawyer could have successfully done it for me. I'm not sure if taking a class is an option for me (since I am a MD resident, technically).

What I'd like to know is how likely is it for me to get the charges reduced to a 9 over or 5 over if I go in person and how I should go about doing this in court.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
The classes will be state-specific. That means, you'll be governed by MD's rules on ticket classes. I have no idea if they offer them or not in that state. All NC will do is report back to your state that you got a ticket in NC. From there, your points are handed out to your license, and then the insurance finds out by doing their annual (or semi-annual) check on your license. So if MD offers the classes, you could pay the ticket (assuming it's not for too too much money), then pay for the classes and have the ticket erased from your history. Conversely, you could pay an attorney (remember, they are never 100% guaranteed to be successful in reducing your ticket to something that doesn't assign points to your license) and pay whatever small ticket they may end up with.

My advice is to find out what MD's rules are on assigning points. For instance, for NC drivers, no insurance points are assigned if you did 9MPH or under. You get 1 DL point, but it takes like 3 or 4 DL points before you start getting a higher insurance rate. So, in my esteemed opinion , it's best to pay a ticket that's 9 or less over and be done with it...and don't do it again!

It'll vary by state. Do your little bit of homework before just paying an attorney the $300 that they want to suck out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte