Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,078 times

Advertisements

Moving to south charlotte have a 9 year old loves football,baseball where should we look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM

50 posts, read 125,505 times
MARA in Matthews has a ton of youth sports programs. marasports.org
We live in South Charlotte close to Providence/485 and its an easy distance for us.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,971,772 times
MARA is great. Weddington Rec league, Porter Ridge Ath Assoc, Indian Trail Ath Assoc, Mint Hill Ath Assoc, I also think there is a south part athletic association.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,412,620 times
Huge fan of Indian Trail's and Porter Ridge's programs. Just finished with MARA and probably won't go back in the fall. Was not really happy with their programs their board or their coaches. Definitely avoid WCWAA. Way over competitive coaches with winning the number one thing, one sided talent drafts and extremely cliquish.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Huge fan of Indian Trail's and Porter Ridge's programs. Just finished with MARA and probably won't go back in the fall. Was not really happy with their programs their board or their coaches. Definitely avoid WCWAA. Way over competitive coaches with winning the number one thing, one sided talent drafts and extremely cliquish.
Jlat, "overcompetitiveness" is not immune to Weddington. Believe me, it happens everywhere (even in Indian Trail). It depends a lot on the coach of the team first.

However, everyone's view or take on overcompetiiveness is different.

Personally, competitive sports is good for the kids IMO. You wouldn't believe how many "non competitive" associations are out there because they are afraid that some kids might be "traumatized' if little Johnny makes an out or something to that effect.... give me a break....

to the OP, Park Sharon is also another association in S Charlotte.....

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Jlat, "overcompetitiveness" is not immune to Weddington. Believe me, it happens everywhere (even in Indian Trail). It depends a lot on the coach of the team first.

However, everyone's view or take on overcompetiiveness is different.

Personally, competitive sports is good for the kids IMO. You wouldn't believe how many "non competitive" associations are out there because they are afraid that some kids might be "traumatized' if little Johnny makes an out or something to that effect.... give me a break....

to the OP, Park Sharon is also another association in S Charlotte.....
Competitive sports is good for the kids IMO also. Just like some of my heros of sports Tonya Harding you remember her great sport Ben Johnson,Mike Tyson, Latrell Sprewell, Terrell Owens and how could I forget that great coach from indiana Mr. Bobby Knight yes all true Competitive People. Yes I think competition is great for little Johnny oh before I forget 1 of the most compeittive great ballplayers of all time the great Ty Cobb true sportsman all of them.... Non of them were "traumatized as kids no coaches pushing any of them to greatness I am sure.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM

52 posts, read 153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
None of these association are any more competitive than the other, in my opinion. All have coaches that are great and coaches that do not need to be coaching, with most coaches somewhere in the middle. As long as they remain volunteer organizations, this will always be the case. For those interested in a less competitive environment, I recommend the YMCA or SOAR Sports.

They are all great associations with many of them competing against each other in basketball, challenge baseball, football, etc... Weddington is the largest association with great facilities and they play Little League Baseball. MARA is fairly large with great facilities and they play Cal Ripken Baseball, with Indian Trail and Porter Ridge being great programs also (both are Cal Ripken Baseball).

I am a big MARA fan with great friends at all of these association and love competing with them in various sports. You can't go wrong with any of them! Send me a PM if you want any information on MARA.

Last edited by swingaway; 06-03-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingaway View Post
None of these association are any more competitive than the other, in my opinion. All have coaches that are great and coaches that do not need to be coaching, with most coaches somewhere in the middle. As long as they remain volunteer organizations, this will always be the case. For those interested in a less competitive environment, I recommend the YMCA or SOAR Sports.

They are all great associations with many of them competing against each other in basketball, challenge baseball, football, etc... Weddington is the largest association with great facilities and they play Little League Baseball. MARA is fairly large with great facilities and they play Cal Ripken Baseball, with Indian Trail and Porter Ridge being great programs also (both are Cal Ripken Baseball).

I am a big MARA fan with great friends at all of these association and love competing with them in various sports. You can't go wrong with any of them! Send me a PM if you want any information on MARA.

Well I think competitive play is great. Volunteer youth coaches have the power to turn children off to sports forever,or to make sports a life long passion. With the proper training,knowledge,and skills,a coach can improve the quality of his children's life immensely and help prepare them for the future. Yet coaches who operate from ignorance can do enormous harm with the same activity.Not every coach will do what's best for children in every case, but every competitive program can adopt policies requiring that every coach has at least been exposed to a good training program before he coaches a child. Not everyone that has played a sport is qualified to coach children. If any of those organizations can create this type of atmosphere,then everyone can become a winner,regardless of the won-lost record at the end of the season. What children will carry away with them from their sports EXPERIENCES will endure far longer than the outcome of any single contest. I don't think somewhere in the middle is quite good enough. There are programs out there for coaches and administrates.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwinwin View Post
Competitive sports is good for the kids IMO also. Just like some of my heros of sports Tonya Harding you remember her great sport Ben Johnson,Mike Tyson, Latrell Sprewell, Terrell Owens and how could I forget that great coach from indiana Mr. Bobby Knight yes all true Competitive People. Yes I think competition is great for little Johnny oh before I forget 1 of the most compeittive great ballplayers of all time the great Ty Cobb true sportsman all of them.... Non of them were "traumatized as kids no coaches pushing any of them to greatness I am sure.
Oh please, your example makes absolutely no sense.

Your saying competitive sports drove Ty Cobb to be an extreme racist?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingaway View Post

Great post. Agree 100% w/everything you said. There are very good coaches and there are lousy coaches, and many fall in the middle....

In Cal Ripken, coaches are now REQUIRED to take a coaching class and be certified on-line if they want to coach challenge baseball. Maybe some organizations like this are recognizing how difficult it is to be a coach and finally give them some tools to do the job properly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte