Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 PM

16 posts, read 37,326 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving to Charlotte in September. We had originally thought we'd like to live in an older neighborhood near Uptown (Plaza Midwood was our favorite), but for a number of reasons it seems that we'll end up a few miles out... One area that we're considering is the Ayrsley development in SW Charlotte. Just wondering if we'll be the only gay couple out there, and if anyone (gay or straight) living in Ayrsley has any thoughts on what it's like to live there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
I am sure there are some out there...most will probably live inner city...like the Wards Uptown (4th, 3rd, 1st), Elizabeth, Chantilly, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood...etc.

GOOD LUCK & welcome to Charlotte!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 AM

115 posts, read 296,813 times
I just had my first full day and night in my house in Ayrsley. So far I completely love it. I think one of the best things is the convienence of where its located, right by two of the major highways (77 and 485), with a huge Lowe's and Super Walmart right down the street (great when getting settled). I can't comment on any other gay couples in the area, I've only met my two neighbors, but I have to say everyone is extremely friendly.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 AM

195 posts, read 538,629 times
Seems like lack of response has answered your question or maybe it's too early for people to reply. It was Pride yesterday. I am not sure what your "number of reasons" are, but if there is still a possibilty of the neighborhoods you were orginally looking at, I would reconsider.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:05 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
We live in Arysley and we love it.

No, FWIW, you won't be the only gay couple in Arysley, our neighbors to the south are a gay couple and they're great.

I have to echo that everyone seems to be quite friendly here, as well as quite accepting.

We've been here for about 1.5 years.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
We've lived in Ayrsley for a few years and we really like it. I have no idea about the sexual orientation of my neighbors but I don't think you'll have a problem here. Everyone is very friendly and it's nice being able to walk to coffee shops and restaurants.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 45,737 times
Dilworth, PlazaMidwood, Elizabeth, and NoDa have historically been popular with gays since they were regentrified by artists and others who are generally more progressive and liberal. If I take my biased partisan hat off I can say that every neighborhood is gay. If you are a bumper sticker flag waving guy like me with an activist bent you will get less grief in the city neighborhoods than the burbs. I know I am painting with a broad brush, there are different views everywhere. Ayrsley sounds great. Overall though the suburbs are way too conservative and family oriented for me. Each to his own.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM

143 posts, read 537,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilworthy View Post
Overall though the suburbs are way too conservative and family oriented for me. Each to his own.
Completely agree. A year ago I was all about living in the suburbs so I could afford a nice, big house but it turns out the smaller, older house I have now is worth so much more to me; mainly because of my accepting neighbors (and lack of young families). No offense to any families out there

Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
My wife and I are wanting to live in Ayrsley, but are concerned about the crime rate. Does anyone have any problems with crime?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonford View Post
Does anyone have any problems with crime?
I'm generally have a problem with crime, but depending on the subject matter, I could be swayed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte