U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:42 PM

7,042 posts, read 7,949,376 times
Well, as a Chicagoan, I have long ago lost faith in ANY form of politics. I am a make-sense kind'a girl, pragmatic as the media is now fond of calling us Chicagoans (when describing most of the White House staff). I know too well the power of politics, could tell y'all stories that would make your hair curl!!

I am also immersed in the financial world and see (every day) the effects of this economy and the tiny steps toward recovery that we are making. I understand logic and dealing with bullies; look beyond my own agenda to see a broader picture. I don't always agree, but, I must submit to the authority given to me and trust that Someone Else has it under control!! (that, ironically enough, is Biblical. Ironically because many of the worst detractors call themselves Bible-believing Christians)

I think that if folks want to sit around and discuss their displeasure with how things are going, that is certainly their right to do so, but, please, think thru what you are saying before creating some kind of havoc. There are countries that feed on these kinds of things and to reiterate a quote from our esteemed former President; a house divided will fail!! These are the things that weaken our country, far more than anything else. Just consult any management handbook...one should NEVER badmouth a manager or a member of authority in public. It weakens that authority and gives the enemy the availability of the Achilles heel. I think this is even more prevalent among the leaders of the world.

So, John, no, you won't see me at your conservative party meeting, and, it won't just be because I will be flying east at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-06-2009, 03:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,176,613 times
Two party politics are definitely killing this country. Too much of a see saw with each new president immediately looking to undo much what the former president set in place. There's no real "staying the course" and building on what was done. Every four to eight years we seem to need to take ourselves into a different direction due to that president's agenda. Needless to say I couldn't be more unhappy with the direction we appear to be heading in under this current administration.

The more conservatives in Washington steer away from Ronald Reagan style conservatism the more I start steering towards being just a little more libertarian. That kind of conservatism doesn't seem to exist anymore (and "***k you" in advance to anyone who says "thank God") and I'd love nothing more than to see it come back.

Unread 06-06-2009, 05:43 AM

4,892 posts, read 4,256,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

So, John, no, you won't see me at your conservative party meeting, and, it won't just be because I will be flying east at the time.
CC: I think you might have two different threads of mine mixed together. The above reference suggest the CD get together is a political rally. You know very well thats the furthest thing from the truth and I take exception to the connotation. I sure hope any people that were planning to attend do not take it as such.

The other thread I started was along the lines of "is there any interest/organization" etc. in a completely separate thread.
Perhaps you got confused when Ani asked me a question and I said "if you're at the CD re-union we'll discuss it". Part of get togethers, right? Along with beer drinking, and pool playing, and making friends.

Sorry for your confusion.

Unread 06-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
CC: I think you might have two different threads of mine mixed together. The above reference suggest the CD get together is a political rally. You know very well thats the furthest thing from the truth and I take exception to the connotation. I sure hope any people that were planning to attend do not take it as such.

The other thread I started was along the lines of "is there any interest/organization" etc. in a completely separate thread.
Perhaps you got confused when Ani asked me a question and I said "if you're at the CD re-union we'll discuss it". Part of get togethers, right? Along with beer drinking, and pool playing, and making friends.

Sorry for your confusion.

I like that she thinks a conservative movement could "wreck havoc".

Unread 06-06-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I like that she thinks a conservative movement could "wreck havoc".

One of the reasons I don't sit in the Political Forum living room is it just ***** up my day. I hate to put my boxing gloves on while I type. Not good for my head .

Unread 06-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I don't sit in the Political Forum living room is it just ***** up my day. I hate to put my boxing gloves on while I type. Not good for my head .

I've started threads on that forum that seemed to be akin to setting off a firecracker. Come back 20 minutes later and find that it looks like I set off a whole crate of TNT. What kills me is that forum is filled, supposedly, with people who have some knowledge of politics. Not surprising too many don't have the capacity to debate with what's presented in front of them. If they're dodging your questions they're twisting your words.

I need to visit there more often....

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM

John, I know that they are separate...sorry if it appeared that the C/D reunion was going to be politically based...

just thought that you were having TWO get-togethers that week. I won't be at either.

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:04 AM

...and, just to clarify...

I won't be at the C/D reunion because I will be out of the country, not because of any disagreement with anyone. I hope to be at the NEXT C/D reunion.

Unread 06-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
John, I know that they are separate...sorry if it appeared that the C/D reunion was going to be politically based...

just thought that you were having TWO get-togethers that week. I won't be at either.
I am having two (or three) reunions that week but she's about 5'8'', blond, 30's and likes to dine in Charlotte's best restaurants.

Now if you believe that there's a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you.

Yes, I know you are "going east". (hee, hee, you have mentioned it in 376 posts BTW)

Unread 06-06-2009, 07:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,509,744 times
Quote:
Plus I'm afraid I'll get kicked off. I usually post and then leave. I don't read the replys but I see my rep points come in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte