U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM

30 posts, read 68,191 times

Advertisements

Here's my two cents...

Come down for a vacation/visit. The beaches of Wilmington and Charleston are <3 hrs away so you can definitely make it a vacation.

You will get a lot of help from this forum, if you ask the right questions and avoid biased comments.

Weddington is nice. I dont live there but I live in the Rea Rd.Blakney area which is between Weddington and Ballantyne. The main difference between Weddington and Ballantyne is the level of maturity in development. Ballantyne and Southpark are built up already and relatively complete. Weddington still has a lot of room for growth. Both are nice just in two different places. If you want to be "part of" a developing area, Weddington is it. Its still 10 years behind Ballantyne and Southpark though.

If you want more of a "country/rural feel", Weddington is better. But you may find that it will take you longer to get places because its more spread out and undeveloped. As far as housing, both areas have a good mix. You wont find much under $275k. $375k-450k will buy you a nice 3,000-4000sq ft house with good build quality. 550-750k will buy you a 3,000-5000sq ft house with very good quality.

All of these areas will have a good family feel to them. You will see lots of kids playing in the neighborhoods, etc. Charlotte is a great place to raise a family.

If you prefer having a significant amount of stores/restaurants nearby then Ballantyne or Southpark is your answer. Another area you may wish to check out is the birkdale area in Huntersville.

Schools are good in Weddington but also good in South Charlotte/ Ballantyne.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,180,576 times
Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin areas are all great to raise a family...great school...close to all Meck County has to offer...plus you get to enjoy the countryside here.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM

68 posts, read 154,774 times
(After reading through the thread I apparently forgot the OPs question, but instead of deleting this response I've just left it. Sorry for sliding OT.)

I agree with jgs7's perspective. We live 3 miles outside of Uptown so to me Weddington is the boonies, it just depends on what you're looking for. Ballantyne is nice, but I really love seeing the Uptown skyline every day.

If you think you might want to be closer to the city - Sharon, Selwyn and Eastover ES's are really good neighborhood schools (although Eastover is starting to get overcrowded) and we have some good magnet programs (students go to these based on lottery) - Myers Park Traditional, Elizabeth Traditional, Park Road Montessori, Cotswold ES. I don't know what your price point is, but some great, established neighborhoods near Uptown are - Eastover, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Cotswold, Foxcroft and, as mentioned by other posters, SouthPark.

Quote:
My kids are average students (but well above average human beings!) and I've read that parents are very concerned over the EOG tests. Do they really cause a lot of stress and do they cause students to be retained?
Susan - Students can be retained in 3rd and 5th grade for not passing EOGs (not sure about older ages I'm just more familiar with elementary school). They can be stressful if your child struggles with them.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM

52 posts, read 136,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs7 View Post
Here's my two cents...

Weddington still has a lot of room for growth. Both are nice just in two different places. If you want to be "part of" a developing area, Weddington is it. Its still 10 years behind Ballantyne and Southpark though.

Great input but I wanted to add a little.

Weddington is not 10 years behind Ballantyne - it will never be a Ballantyne.

Ballantyne is a complete community with its own residential and commercial community that is directly next to I - 485. It did not exist prior to the development of the outer loop highway. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc... You can live in Ballantyne and never have to leave to attend church, school, work, YMCA, etc...

Weddington will not turn into a Ballantyne because of the building restrictions in place to prevent it. The building codes requie a certain amount of acreage for each homesite. Commercial development is limited - very limited. The Weddington leaders have created development regulations to prevent Charlotte growth from occuring in their community.

It all depends on presonal preference.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,130,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin areas are all great to raise a family...great school...close to all Meck County has to offer...plus you get to enjoy the countryside here.
Love it..beautiful estates, horse country...truly the best..

Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM

339 posts, read 624,309 times
I live in Weddington, I work out of my house and my husband works in midtown. The schools are great and it does have a rural feel, but 485 is 5 minutes away. Charlotte is 2 minutes from my house. Also much lower taxes. Our city taxes for Weddington were $99 last year. There are new neighborhoods and older ones with more land. I live on 1.4 acres. I love it here. It is close to everything but far enough away to feel outside of the city. I know both areas. If you want more of a city feel, then you should do Ballantyne, more country and lower taxes then Weddington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte