Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,767 times

Advertisements

We're out-of-staters looking to move to NC. Why? It's 45 on June 7th in WI. At first we were looking at the Ballantyne/South Park area and then were directed toward Weddington.

It looks beautiful but is it really close to hot spots? Restaurants?, etc?

Also, I see many other subdivisions have neighborhood amenities like trails, pools, etc.. I couldn't find anything on whether this applied to Weddington?

I'm 39, husband 40. We have our own business, would be working from home, but need an easy commute to airport, restaurants, dates... Our 4 + 6 year old daughters need kids to play with...great schools, etc.

Any experience/advise is appreciated.. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Weddington is beautiful, there are subdivisions there with amenities as well. Also consider the Marvin area, closer to Ballantyne and Blakeney for more shopping.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
Weddington definitely is good option that fits most of your needs. I would not say they have any of the upscale restaurants you may want and the commute to the airport is not super fast (30 - 45 mins in traffic). But as a family community you could not ask for more.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Do you have a map or our area?
A 10-15 minute commute to the airport and downtown Charlotte in an area of homes priced
like and Ballantyne and has private schools, safe and all that does not exist here!

Weddington...? Try driving that one during rush hour to the airport or going home! Its worse than
Bridgehampton and Ballantyne (45-50 minutes).

Like I said...You need to look at spending time here yourself to figure things out. The posts here
are very biased and you need to make good business decisions on your own. Asking a Realtor is not much help too. You are Business owners....call the Chamber of Commerce! This thread will not help you.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 AM

285 posts, read 800,027 times
I think with this board, everything is relative.

to me, I list in Waxhaw/wesley chapel area, and an easy commute to the airport it is, 35-40 mins. But that comes from experience from NY driving 1 hour- 1.5 in traffic , and a difficult airport to navigate, CLT is like going to an aTM.

when we were searching for a home, I did a lot of demographics studies, so my children who were in school could make a lateral move. so they were very familiar and fit in. Of course I wanted good schools, but my kids are not gifted (does that disqualify us from a forum) They are bright students who are accelerating wonderfully

We like being just a little out of the way. There's just enough here, but not tons of traffic. We are just 10-15 minutes from Blakeney and 20 from Ballantyne area.

DH's commute is the opposite way, so traffic is not too much of a concern on the day's he goes in

Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Weddington is very family oriented. Schools are one of the best in area. There is a wonderful athletic association in Weddington (WCWAA) with football, soccer, baseball, basketball, softball, lacrosse. Many neighborhoods have ammenities (pools, tennis courts). I live on east side of Weddington (Antioch Church) and it takes me 35 minutes max to get to airport if I leave by 6:30am, 45 min. max if later, all other times 30 minutes. You will find good sized properties in Weddington. In my opinion Waxhaw is a little off the beaten path for me but some people like that.Blakeney + Ballantyne areas are nice and closer to good retail, resteraunts,schools and Uptown (also about 10min closer to airport than Weddington)) I think you can not discount the good info on this forum (as mentioned on previous post)as many of us that decided to move to CLT did a lot of research prior to making our decision on where to move.

Last edited by ZnGuy; 06-08-2009 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 14,767 times
Cleveland Mike... I can't figure out why you are so irritated with my questions... Making a move of this calibre is not just involving me but my husband and children and yes, research into an area is a requirement but I don't want to waste time... I would like to be close to the heart of what's happening, not out in the boonies. Schools are important and a nice community with neighborhood amenities. Overall, people have been friendly and helpful and made us look into areas we wouldn't have otherwise done.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
First, don't pay attention to C.Mike if you take a look at his post history you will see what I mean. Secondly, if you don't want to be "out in the boonies" I would saw maybe to think twice about weddington. They have everything you might need and are a great community but I would not consider them close to te heart of what's happening. I suggested on your other thread you look at Dilworth. It really seems to me like the area that matches your descriptions best and is worth taking a look when you are here. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 58,525 times
Its always difficult to move to an area you are not familiar with. Charlotte is a very diverse city that features so many wonderful, different areas....definitely something for everyone! The areas you are looking in are all very desirable areas. At least you have a good starting point Leasing for a year, or less is always a wonderful recommendation. In this market, in particular, it is definitely not money wasted if you just aren't certain what area you wish to commit to.

It will take you a bit to get used to our traffic patterns, your commute to work, childrens schools and such and at least you won't have stuck yourself in a purchase if you should later decide the area you chose just isn't for you.

Welcome to Charlotte !!!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:03 PM

16 posts, read 63,380 times
I am researching the Charolote area and keep hearing great things about Weddington (family neighborhood, great schools, etc.). My kids are average students (but well above average human beings!) and I've read that parents are very concerned over the EOG tests. Do they really cause a lot of stress and do they cause students to be retained? My daughter is a good student, but struggles with reading comprehension so these tests are always a worry, especially when possible retention is a threat . Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte