U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:01 PM

370 posts, read 635,926 times

Advertisements

I have a rental house that I have a family in, they have been there since January.

I have been very accommodating about the rent being late each month, waiving late fees b/c I know times are tough. I even allowed them to keep the utilities in my name until they could have them switched. Heck, I even lowered the rent to help them out, it doesn't even cover my mortgage now. But I know they try and felt as if it was the right thing to do.

Our old neighbor just told me that they have just brought TWO dogs there without our knowledge! Our lease was specific about a pet deposit and notification that they were bringing them home. We required a 250.00 per pet deposit. If you add that to the amount they owe us for other things are already we are at 2000 plus dollars!

I am so frustrated. I am not sure if I should begin the process of evicting them or what. I KNOW they will not pay me if I kick them out, I will never see that money. We had a deal that I would look for new tenants and he would look for a new place, but he has since been laid off and says he cannot afford to move. Now he is breaking the terms of the lease...what a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,607,506 times
Sounds like it's time to step up and be a land lord. You've been accommodating and now it's threatening to start infringing on your finances...let alone the intangible mess of just walking all over you as the owner.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Sounds like it's time to step up and be a land lord. You've been accommodating and now it's threatening to start infringing on your finances...let alone the intangible mess of just walking all over you as the owner.

I have to say you are right.

So many people told me that if you let these things go once, that people will run with it. I THOUGHT I was doing the right thing, now I have learned my lesson.

I just called my lawyer to see what we need to do...so we shall see. I feel bad that I will have to do that, but I cannot allow them to continue using us either.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM

And I know the utilities issue was very risky.

I only did that because he agreed to pay me cash upfront because the deposit was so huge and he was waiting on a bonus of some sort.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,110,977 times
Fire your tenant now!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,462,907 times
I am so sorry. I agree with Steve. You are gonna have to take action. Pretty sad that the old adage is correct - "Give 'em an inch - and they'll take a mile."

You have bent over backwards, it sounds to me . . . don't let this make you feel "bad" about their situation. If they have money to feed two dogs on top of their own groceries (plus vet care, etc) they should be paying you the rent.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM

905 posts, read 3,007,069 times
I am afraid your tenants are taking advantage of your kindness. I have been a landlord for a # of years and found Ani's adage is correct!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:04 PM

103 posts, read 120,043 times
Drop the hammer!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM

403 posts, read 747,680 times
You ARE being taken to the cleaners and back....especailly when they brought in those dogs. I hope for the time being that they are being kept outside, but with the "give an inch - take a mile" crowd...my bet is that they are in the house. You really need to do something right now...before the house is trashed. Better to lose a little right now.....than a lot later on. I do think the eviction laws are in their favor....perhaps someone may know exactly what you need to do. By any chance did you do a background check on this family? There are families that go from house to house....that live off of good hearted people...especially the very trusting kind. Good Luck....I will be thinking about you and your situation in the coming days.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,283,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I have a rental house that I have a family in, they have been there since January.

I have been very accommodating about the rent being late each month, waiving late fees b/c I know times are tough. I even allowed them to keep the utilities in my name until they could have them switched. Heck, I even lowered the rent to help them out, it doesn't even cover my mortgage now. But I know they try and felt as if it was the right thing to do.

Our old neighbor just told me that they have just brought TWO dogs there without our knowledge! Our lease was specific about a pet deposit and notification that they were bringing them home. We required a 250.00 per pet deposit. If you add that to the amount they owe us for other things are already we are at 2000 plus dollars!

I am so frustrated. I am not sure if I should begin the process of evicting them or what. I KNOW they will not pay me if I kick them out, I will never see that money. We had a deal that I would look for new tenants and he would look for a new place, but he has since been laid off and says he cannot afford to move. Now he is breaking the terms of the lease...what a mess.
I guess they can afford to care for and feed TWO dogs, but can't pay their rent? I am glad you contacted your attorney, your good nature is being taken advantage of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or