U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM

137 posts, read 667,731 times

Advertisements

Im just curious....we are thinking of relocating to the area, and wonder where most Northerners chose. (Hopefully I can learn from THEIR reseach in addition to my own)
Planning a trip next month! CANT WAIT!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,430,570 times
Sweetie, they're everywhere. I've lived in Ballantyne, SouthPark, University, and Lake Norman and trust me, you'd feel welcome and comfortable anywhere in Charlotte! Welcome!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM

137 posts, read 667,731 times
Thats great to hear!
My stepson moved to Greensboro about two years ago. He says that the people that he works with and encounters in his daily life are accepting only after he's proved himself.
He tells me that many people he's delt with think us NYers have an attitude of being better and smarter than everyone else.
And trust me...hes nothing like that.
So for him it was a task to fit in. Hes happy there now, and I was wondering if Charlotte was the same or different, since ive HEARD that many Northereners are flocking to the area. Some folks MUST be resentfull...unless they are in the real estate business!!!

I mean who would want to go somewhere they arent wanted?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 AM

I travel to the Greensboro area for work, and Greensboro and Charlotte are very different worlds. In fact, in Charlotte, I rarely encounter people who are from here; thus, you don't get that same "you are a yankee" hesitancy/attitude that your stepson encountered in GBO.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM

45 posts, read 153,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Thats great to hear!
My stepson moved to Greensboro about two years ago. He says that the people that he works with and encounters in his daily life are accepting only after he's proved himself.
He tells me that many people he's delt with think us NYers have an attitude of being better and smarter than everyone else.
And trust me...hes nothing like that.
So for him it was a task to fit in. Hes happy there now, and I was wondering if Charlotte was the same or different, since ive HEARD that many Northereners are flocking to the area. Some folks MUST be resentfull...unless they are in the real estate business!!!

I mean who would want to go somewhere they arent wanted?
In Charlotte there are so many NYers and NJers and people from all over. I think I honestly only met a few locals since moving here in November.

I work for one of the banks down here and I feel so comfortable. I hear NY accents all day long...I never felt I had to prove anything. I am originally from LI, lived there for the first 25 years then moved to MD, lived there for 9 years...I feel more at home here than in MD. Charlotte is great!

To answer the original question...I don't know where the biggest concentration of NYers are...We are everywhere.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM

193 posts, read 188,552 times
There are a few country clubs in Charlotte that you may not be able to join but those clubs are hard to join even if you went to WFS, UNC, work for BofA and attend MP Presby.

Last edited by HookEmHorns; 04-12-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Im just curious....we are thinking of relocating to the area, and wonder where most Northerners chose. (Hopefully I can learn from THEIR reseach in addition to my own)
Planning a trip next month! CANT WAIT!!
Quite simply, they are everywhere. But think about this:

Many people say they move here to escape the rudeness, traffic, and attitudes from where they were up north. Are you really escaping it by moving where every reason you wanted to leave has beat you here already?

I am not saying everyone from up north has those qualities, I know for a fact its not true, and you will meet plenty of welcoming people here, just food for thought.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheel View Post
There are a few country clubs in Charlotte that you may not be able to join but those clubs are hard to join even if you went to WFS, UNC, work for BofA and attend MP Presby.
Which ones? The hardest to get into are Myers Park CC and Charlotte CC. And I know non-southerners who are members at both. Of the two, Charlotte CC is the most difficult to get into but with the right connections and enough money you can get in.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM

45 posts, read 153,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Quite simply, they are everywhere. But think about this:

Many people say they move here to escape the rudeness, traffic, and attitudes from where they were up north. Are you really escaping it by moving where every reason you wanted to leave has beat you here already?

I am not saying everyone from up north has those qualities, I know for a fact its not true, and you will meet plenty of welcoming people here, just food for thought.
IMHO, I think the people from NY that are moving here for the most part want a better quality of life and are more open minded. They seem to want to make friends and are (from what I observed) friendlier. There are some people that I know from NY that I don't think should move down here because they aren't into change or different accents and a different way of doing things. It would be too much for them. You can't compare Charlotte to NY and I think that's what some people do. I am glad I moved here. I embrace all that the South and Charlotte has to offer. (Even though they do fry everything)

Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM

192 posts, read 628,694 times
In my old neighborhood up near Huntersville, it was rare to find someone native to Charlotte. We use to call our street "Yankee Row". In Ft Mill, where I live now, it's more common to find people whose families have lived in the area for years. Still, I think I talk to more transplants on a daily basis than I do natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or