Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,341,063 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I looked at the previous threads (in fact for the past almost hour!) and cannot find any of the original threads that discussed the path to take via road trip from Chicago to Charlotte and things to see along the way.

I know how to get there, in terms of directions.

What I am looking for are suggestions of places to stop and see with 3 kids, 4 adults as we start driving on Friday during the day, drive about 350 miles/day and plan on arriving Sunday night. I expect we'll stop a few times during the day, and probably stay at at least 2 hotels (Friday and Saturday night).

HeHe Should be one heck of a road trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,946,150 times
So, which way are you driving? There are several...some of which depends upon where in Chicago you are coming from.

That being said, there really are not a lot of "sights to see" between here in Chicago, no matter which way you go. Indiana & Kentucky are particularily boring...until you get closer to Louisville where you can see the Kentucky Derby racetrack & stuff. Be forewarned, Kentucky's roads are not especially well maintained and you will bounce around a bit.

When you get into the mountains, I guess you could stop there and see stuff. Personally, I am a true Chicagoan and suspicious of mountains and other heights..., so, my goal at that point is to GET THROUGH THEM AS FAST AS SAFELY POSSIBLE!

sorry this wasn't a lot of help; but, really, the road from IL thru Kentucky is flat with farmland for miles until you get to western Kentucky. Kind of like driving thru Iowa. Lots of corn & soybeans...and not much else.

If you do the other route through Ohio and W.VA, there might be a little more to see...I suppose the rollercoaster thing in Ohio...if you like heights... and when you get into W.VA, you might (possibly??) be able to see some coal mines or other mountain-stuff.

dunno. My goal going back & forth is to get to the destination. Never thought about stopping!!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,259,496 times

My advice is drive at NIGHT.
no traffic, no sun, and no 'are we there yet'.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

My advice is drive at NIGHT.
no traffic, no sun, and no 'are we there yet'.
excellent idea, mullman. But, I always time it so that when we go thru the dreaded mountains, it is at least dawn.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,792,190 times
The National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY is pretty interesting if you like cars.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
excellent idea, mullman. But, I always time it so that when we go thru the dreaded mountains, it is at least dawn.
How can anyone dread seeing/riding thru the mountains???? This is incomprehensiable to me! I can hardly wait for the day I live on top of a mountain! Guess it really does take all kinds, lol

Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How can anyone dread seeing/riding thru the mountains???? This is incomprehensiable to me! I can hardly wait for the day I live on top of a mountain! Guess it really does take all kinds, lol
Yes, it does. In my over-analytical way, I have determined that it is a control issue. In the mountains, I cannot see what is coming at me, plus there is the always-present terror of falling. On flatland, I can see the horizon for miles and make adjustments if there is anything dangerous coming at me. (little city training there; always watch your back) Also, there is little danger of falling...the worst that could happen is that you simply fall over rather than falling thousands of feet down a ravine!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,661,193 times
Not sure of your route, but in KY and TN there are lots of caves and waterfalls to check out. Anywhere near Skyline Drive would be worth a trip to some of the caverns in the area. Beautiful!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Default Hmm Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think I will be afraid of falling off the mountain ledge as I drive!

Other than that, we probably will take a route with mountains just b/c my kids have only seen limited mountains in California, which were probably more like hills.

I have 3 kids under 8, including a nearly 2 year-old, so stops are a necessary evil! Have done the night driving but for such a long time I'm not sure how taxing it will be on the drivers.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Lololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, it does. In my over-analytical way, I have determined that it is a control issue. In the mountains, I cannot see what is coming at me, plus there is the always-present terror of falling. On flatland, I can see the horizon for miles and make adjustments if there is anything dangerous coming at me. (little city training there; always watch your back) Also, there is little danger of falling...the worst that could happen is that you simply fall over rather than falling thousands of feet down a ravine!!
How funny! We think alike .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte