U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM

852 posts, read 2,217,906 times

Advertisements

Aaagh what shall I do? I have a son who is 14 and great at test taking but he sucks at homework etc (lazy). It's a battle from one end of the year to the other to get this homework done. Yet when he sits down at an end of grade or end of class test he always gets A's. Now that he has moved to HS I find that his test is only 25% of the final grade. So although every test he has taken has an A his final grades for the year are c's and d's I know that some kids panic at the thought of a test and allegedly this is why they have brought in this homework grade thing but what about the others. Now either they are dumbing down the test papers or he actually knows the stuff yet still it shows on his grades that he is beyond dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,051,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Aaagh what shall I do? I have a son who is 14 and great at test taking but he sucks at homework etc (lazy). It's a battle from one end of the year to the other to get this homework done.
What exactly are you asking?

Someone needs to be the parent and lay down the law...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
If your son is bright enough to make A's he should be bright enough to understand the impact of not doing his homework and turning it in. If he persists in not doing the assignments, then his grades will continue to deteriorate. He needs to understand that he is only hurting himself, and then ask himself why would he want to do that? It would be a shame for a bright young man to pass up college cause he did not do his homework...that even sounds silly typing that out!

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

lln

Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,453,087 times
I don't think any grade reflects that a child is dumb. A bad grade reflects the child's inability or unwillingness to do what is required of him to make a good grade. In your son's case, it is an unwillingness. THAT is dumb.
Put your foot down HARD now because it will only get worse if you don't. Good luck and be strong

Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,157,283 times
SM - I know exactly what you mean! My son is the very same way - wish I could give you some good advice but I don't have the answers. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Test grades are good/excellent but homework is bad or non-existant. I have yelled, restricted, etc. and it made NO difference. He is much more interested in girls, music, etc. He had excellent grades in all of his classes until middle school. If its a subject that he enjoys (English/music/art) he does great - if not (History/Calculus) forget it. It is so frustrating because he is so smart. Other than grades he is a great kid so I tell myself overall I am really lucky. He will be a senior next year so the only positive thing I can say is I only have 1 more year (except college - hopefully!)

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I don't think any grade reflects that a child is dumb. A bad grade reflects the child's inability or unwillingness to do what is required of him to make a good grade. In your son's case, it is an unwillingness. THAT is dumb.
Put your foot down HARD now because it will only get worse if you don't. Good luck and be strong
I am so w/ Doorway on this one. My son did the same thing in high school. He felt the homework was repetitive and if he "knew the material" - why was he having to still do all this "busy work" assigned as homework.

He quickly figured out that all that homework made up a portion of his grade, so "busy work" or not . . . it had to be done.

Boredom is no excuse. You just have to do what the teacher expects cause that is one of the steps towards maturity - we do things we don't want to do or find boring - b/c someone else has said "this is part of your evaluation." Same thing happens when we get jobs. It is just the way it is.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Aaagh what shall I do? I have a son who is 14 and great at test taking but he sucks at homework etc (lazy). It's a battle from one end of the year to the other to get this homework done. Yet when he sits down at an end of grade or end of class test he always gets A's. Now that he has moved to HS I find that his test is only 25% of the final grade. So although every test he has taken has an A his final grades for the year are c's and d's I know that some kids panic at the thought of a test and allegedly this is why they have brought in this homework grade thing but what about the others. Now either they are dumbing down the test papers or he actually knows the stuff yet still it shows on his grades that he is beyond dumb.
Yup, DS is learning this lesson. His grades for the first semester look kind of like this
A, A, A, F, A, A, F, A, A, D, A, A, A, F = C. He didn't like the fact that although he knows the material, passes the tests and quizzes but scores low on homework he is a C student.

His biggest issue is in Math where the teachers aren't really checking homework daily. He does the homework daily but then has to copy certain problems from his homework to a homework check sheet and the teacher checks only the check sheet. Well, it's clear that he is not going to be a transcriptionist because in the act of copying his homework onto the check sheet he will miss a + or - sign, he'll transpose numbers or copy down the wrong problem #15 (given that there were more than one that week). It's been a real struggle for him but the teachers just won't grade the actual homework...that would be too much work. So, students spend 10-15 minutes of 'instructional' time copying down homework problems for the teacher to check instead.

Oh, and the notebook checks are the same way!! He has to copy his notes onto notebook check sheets and if anything is different it's a 0. I don't think teachers in HS ever checked our notes...we wrote down what we wanted, how we wanted, so we could study later. Now they have to be verbatim as the teacher presents them, and copied again onto the check sheet, verbatim. He flunks those too.

DS is horrible at the copying but it's something he's learning to manage. He ended the year with A's and B's despite the difficulting he has had with the copying. I'm just hoping the teachers next year don't require the same thing or he's in for another long year of writing notes and doing homework, double checking them, copying them onto the note/homework check sheet, double checking that before it gets turned it. I'd have HATED school if I had to do that.
I think he needs to talk to the guidance counselor if the teachers want the same thing next year...he really does try but can never get it exactly right...he's frustrated with that whole process. He gets the homework right but not the copying so his homework grade is a D/F.

But your son just isn't doing the homework?
This is how we explained it to DS, It's sad but true, colleges don't care why you are a C student...don't do the homework, can't copy things down right, dumb as a box of rocks....it's all the same to them. My son has to find a solution for this copying thing and your son has to get busy on the homework!! At least they have the potential to do better, they just have to DO IT!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
What exactly are you asking?

Someone needs to be the parent and lay down the law...

thanks for the advice but I was actually just venting - sorry if I came across acting dumb myself. I was educated in another country as was my husband and it's a learning curve for us to as each child progresses to another level of schooling here. I haven't come across this sort of right through the year grading and looking back on things I now understand why my good friend packed up her whole family and moved back to Australia because of the homework issue. There is an awful lot of busy work and at the end it just a multiple choice questionnaire. Of course I will try to encourage my child but when you don't truly understand the reasoning behind copying 20 pages of notes into another notebook yourself it's hard to be excited about it to somebody else.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,203,598 times
Australia is awfully far to move to just because of homework

Anyway, homework (at least in this country) is a part of life. School is a child's job. If someone cut corners at their job (which not doing homework is essentially doing that), they would get poor evaluations and even fired. Might as well get over it and stop taking short cuts now....

As for copying problems off of completed homework onto a paper for the teacher, well, that is ridiculous! What a lazy teacher! I never had someone require that nor would I for my students!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Australia is awfully far to move to just because of homework

Anyway, homework (at least in this country) is a part of life. School is a child's job. If someone cut corners at their job (which not doing homework is essentially doing that), they would get poor evaluations and even fired. Might as well get over it and stop taking short cuts now....

As for copying problems off of completed homework onto a paper for the teacher, well, that is ridiculous! What a lazy teacher! I never had someone require that nor would I for my students!
I read an article that homework has increased by 51% since 1985. I will look this up for the link as I know everyone here likes proof LOL The copying btw is from notes taken in class. The notes have to be copied into notebooks and it can take up to 2 hours or more. How boring and uninventive is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte