Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

30 posts, read 109,772 times

Advertisements

We have been in our new home now for 6 months. During that time we have had plenty of rain. Having said that, our grass in the backyard still seems to be struggling. There are a few excellent small patches of grass, but many areas have had grass grow, BUT it is only 1/2 inch to 1 inch tall and has never grown taller. I have fertilized it for the winter, spring, and about to do so for the summer. I have also added Lime, and am about to add Iron to see if it helps.

We also purchased a manual aerating tool and started stabbing holes into the ground. I noticed the ground to be very tough to stab with the aerator and in fact I see to be hitting many rocks. The area for the back yard is new soil that was brought in during grading of the lot.

Also, our perception is that the water does soak into the ground easily (hence putting holes to help capture it, and also to hopefully provide air to the roots and loosen the soil).

Any ideas / lawn tips to help get it started?

Is it normal for the backyard to seem rocky and have a difficult time absorbing water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Clay subsoils... *sigh*

you're having the problem everyone has when they try to grow vegetation on compacted saprolitic soils with little/no nutrients that are probably highly acidic.

Get a soil test done, and forget about growing any more fescue until the fall. Spend the latter part of the summer getting the yard ready for a fall makeover. If you're aiming for a bermuda lawn you can still have success this summer.

Soil test, soil test, soil test! Don't guess.

If you MUST have fescue this summer, bring in a load of screened topsoil and topdress the soil a couple inches before re-seeding. Use plenty of mulch and water every day if you're in direct sun. Don't overwater, as you've noted (I think), the clay soils aren't very pervious.

Unless you want to drop big bucks, establishing a thick healthy lawn will likely take several seasons of attention.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Clay subsoils... *sigh*

you're having the problem everyone has when they try to grow vegetation on compacted saprolitic soils with little/no nutrients that are probably highly acidic.

Get a soil test done, and forget about growing any more fescue until the fall. Spend the latter part of the summer getting the yard ready for a fall makeover. If you're aiming for a bermuda lawn you can still have success this summer.

Soil test, soil test, soil test! Don't guess.

If you MUST have fescue this summer, bring in a load of screened topsoil and topdress the soil a couple inches before re-seeding. Use plenty of mulch and water every day if you're in direct sun. Don't overwater, as you've noted (I think), the clay soils aren't very pervious.

Unless you want to drop big bucks, establishing a thick healthy lawn will likely take several seasons of attention.
Wow...you seem to be very knowledgeable about this subject. We just bought a house in October so this is first year for Bermuda Sod. I have a hill in the back and the sod isn't taking so well there. My lawn guy tells me that it looks dead..but the guy that put it in said it may take a while for it to green up. So I'll have to wait and see..but at least we have a resident expert on the subject here..so I may be coming to you with my tales of woe...

Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 PM

The *real* experts would have a problem with calling me an expert, but I don't!

I'll be glad to help if I can. I replaced my fescue lawn with bermuda sod last October as a matter of fact! My B-I-L owns a sod farm, so I have a heckuva source!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The *real* experts would have a problem with calling me an expert, but I don't!

I'll be glad to help if I can. I replaced my fescue lawn with bermuda sod last October as a matter of fact! My B-I-L owns a sod farm, so I have a heckuva source!
OK well if Native Son replaced Fescue with Bermuda Sod..I feel alot better now. Coz..here I am a Yankee..never heard of Bermuda Sod before..and feeling pretty dumb..especially after my lawn guy told me that alot of builders use it because it's cheap..now at least I found someone who put it in by choice.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

The "lawn guys" want you to have fescue because they want your money to maintain it. Trust me, it's a year-round job.

Bermuda is great! Drought resistant, low-maintenance and able to handle heavy traffic... people complain about it browning out, but I overseed in the fall with perennial rye and fescue. Bada-bing, green lawn all winter.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM

50 posts, read 137,443 times
Quote:
Bermuda is great!
Is it true that it doesn't like any shade?

Quote:
I overseed in the fall with perennial rye and fescue. Bada-bing, green lawn all winter.
What size lawn do you have and what's the perennial seed cost every year?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM

I have a 50-year old Red Oak in my back yard creating a pretty good swath of shade. Plus my neighbors all have old oaks too. Most types will tolerate shade (they just may be out-competed).

My backyard (lawn area) is about 2500 ft2. I'm not sure about exact costs at this yard, 'cause this will be my first year overseeding here, but I count on spending about $75-$100 on seed plus another $30 on fertilizer and lime. I'll do all the labor myself.

Last edited by Native_Son; 06-18-2009 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: actually measured the yard... much smaller than estimate!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:32 PM

50 posts, read 137,443 times
Thank you for the info Native Son.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
DH puts alfalfa pellets or meal on the lawn probably 3 to 4 times a year. You can buy the bags at your local feed store. The pellets should be spread just before it rains. We have a spreader and the meal is a bit dusty, especially when labby follows DH we wind up having a black lab with a green face.

Alfalfa Pellets (5-1-2)

Earthworms are also great for the lawn, they are a natural aerater for the soil. Don't let them die in the street after the rains, toss them back on your lawn. I have an old large yogut container and I grab a little stick and toss them in the container, if the neighbors aren't saving theirs, I take them too!

Earthworm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: