Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a Financial Planner that they recommend? I don't have loads of cash, but I want to start planning and investing wisely for retirement and college funds and don't know the first thing about where to begin other than the normal online tools.

I am in the Ballantyne area but don't mind going somewhere else for someone that is good.

THANKS!

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
I have been very pleased with Dennis Lehman @ NCA Financial and there is no question that they are one of the best. I have referred Dennis to other friends, comrades who are now pleased clients. Dennis Lehman is a Certified Financial Planner with NCA Financial Planners. He is a partner in the firm and heads its investment committee. NCA has received numerous top rankings from many national publications (i.e. Worth Magazine Top 250 Financial Planners for 6 years, Barron's Top 100 Independent Financial Advisors for 4 years-Rated #6 in 2008). They are a full service financial planning firm. Their services include college funding analysis, retirement planning,estate planning, tax planning and investment management. Although their offices are in Cleveland, OH they look to expand into Charlotte over the next couple years as they already have many clients in the Carolinas. He can meet and do a financial evaluation to those that are interested. First meeting is no cost and no obligation.
Dennis Lehman can contacted at: (440)473-1115 dlehman@ncafinancial.com
ncafinancial.com, financial planners, independent broker dealer, mutual funds

Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
I think you are better off reading about it on your own and also check out the finance forum here on city-data. There are a lot of smart people on there w/o an agenda.

Why pay someone to tell you what to do with YOUR money?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I think you are better off reading about it on your own and also check out the finance forum here on city-data. There are a lot of smart people on there w/o an agenda.

Why pay someone to tell you what to do with YOUR money?
Sheenie, I'm inclined to think like you; however, my son has recently graduated college with a business finance degree and become a financial planner. His explanation to me is this - you would use a financial planner's services in much the same way you would an interior decorator. You can putz around with it yourself, and if you are talented, probably do a good job. But for those who would like the advice of someone who went to school to learn the trade, and who has experience in financial options, it is helpful to sit down and create a workable plan, designed around your comfort/risk level.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
I'd recommend hiring someone that is paid on an hourly basis vs. selling you products with fees the advisor or company collects. Its really hard to beat the S&P 500 index (most mutual funds don't). Its infinitely more difficult if you are paying 2-5% per year in fees.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
I'd recommend hiring someone that is paid on an hourly basis vs. selling you products with fees the advisor or company collects. Its really hard to beat the S&P 500 index (most mutual funds don't). Its infinitely more difficult if you are paying 2-5% per year in fees.
My Financial planner usually beats the S&P by 4% and I am billed based on portfolio value (charged .95% of value per qtr). I am ok with this as we both have same goal, grow my portfolio and I win and broker wins. I also get financial advise, trust, Life insurance, tax planning, retirement, college planning, etc ....peace of mind that my family's financial needs are in good hands...all included for these fees.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 AM

15 posts, read 62,550 times
I enjoyed many of the posts that you all wrote, however, after 17 years in the financial services industry as an adviser I can say that the investing part of the process is not more than 50% of the big picture. I would really point people to the largest trade association in the U.S. The National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors (NAIFA). NAIFA - National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors They have a search engine to locate advisors. Additionally, pay attention to those professional designations as well. A good advisor will discuss a bigger picture to include disability, life, retirement, etc. and hopefully have a good recommendation to an attorney to discuss a basic will or in some cases a revocable trust. Some key designations I like are the CFP; CLU; ChFC; and for high net worth individuals the AEP. These designations are no push over to obtain and the brass ring of them all is the ChFC (Chartered Financial Consultant). During the ChFC process after you complete your 6th piece, you can challenge the CFP exam, and then you still have to complete (2) more sections to obtain your ChFC. This is a stronger designation from the American College, however, they do not market it quite as well as the CFP Board. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte