U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 AM

30 posts, read 97,615 times

Advertisements

I was discussing new homes with a relative last night, and during our discussion, it struck us as to how many new neighbhorhoods (i.e. built now or within the last 10 years) have the really big towering hi-voltage powerlines crossing through the community OR easily within sight of their community.

Any thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,012,974 times
The best properties have been built on. Powerline property is cheap. Good margins...

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The best properties have been built on. Powerline property is cheap. Good margins...
Altho I don't think it is accurate to say that ALL the good property has been built on already . . . I do agree w/ NativeSon that the reasons the neighborhoods wh/ ARE built in close proximity to power lines are there b/c the property was available and often - less expensive. I have avoided such land all my life - so no way I would buy around these big transformers, switching stations and big ole power lines - whatever that stuff is called, LOL. I don't care what anyone says (including all the "experts"). . . I don't see how living that close to magnetic fields can be good for a person at the cellular level. And besides - they are the worst kind of "visual pollution" - even if you aren't concerned about magnetic fields.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,869,897 times
Proximity to these lines was definitely a deal-breaker for DH and I when we were house hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Altho I don't think it is accurate to say that ALL the good property has been built on already . . . I do agree w/ NativeSon that the reasons the neighborhoods wh/ ARE built in close proximity to power lines are there b/c the property was available and often - less expensive. I have avoided such land all my life - so no way I would buy around these big transformers, switching stations and big ole power lines - whatever that stuff is called, LOL. I don't care what anyone says (including all the "experts"). . . I don't see how living that close to magnetic fields can be good for a person at the cellular level. And besides - they are the worst kind of "visual pollution" - even if you aren't concerned about magnetic fields.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM

246 posts, read 503,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

While they are certainly an eyesore, there has been scientific proof that living near HV power lines does not increase one's risk of cancer or other disease.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,383,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
While they are certainly an eyesore, there has been scientific proof that living near HV power lines does not increase one's risk of cancer or other disease.
And we all know research scientists are never wrong! Why take the chance if you have a choice?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM

716 posts, read 1,912,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
And we all know research scientists are never wrong! Why take the chance if you have a choice?
Maybe the same reasons people engage in any risky behavior that has been proven to be bad for you? (The answer will be different for each person...)

It was a deterrent when we were house shopping as well, but mostly just because they are U.G.L.Y.

(And it would make it harder to resell one day.)

Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
Yeah, well I wrote an article on magnetic fields back in the late 80s . . . and so I am fully aware what is published about that discussion. However, I have also seen mapped clusters of brain tumors and leukemia that have occurred in close proximity to magnetic fields, so I base my opinions on what I have researched on my own. I really don't care what researchers say about the issue and I don't care if anyone else shares my opinion - I ain't getting paid to convince anyone of anything. But for my own family, my decisions are based on my own research.

Plus as Violet said . . . they are UGLY.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,054,625 times
Anyone else hear that buzzing?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Anyone else hear that buzzing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte