Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
That is Sliding Rock. The photo really doesn't do it justice. The falls is close by and fed by the same river. The falls empty into a natural swimming pool that fun for swimming though you will want to go on a hot day as that mountain water is cold.
Ooooh, thank you so much for coming back to answer. My boys would just love that! This is the first time I've heard of it, going to check out info on 'Net now.

The photo might not do it justice but it piqued my interest! Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
I'll be taking the kids here on Tuesday

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Morrow Mountain State Park

Morrow Mountain state park is beautiful, there's hiking, swimming, row boat rentals, grills are available for cooking out, and the best part it's about 45 minutes away.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I'll be taking the kids here on Tuesday

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Morrow Mountain State Park

Morrow Mountain state park is beautiful, there's hiking, swimming, row boat rentals, grills are available for cooking out, and the best part it's about 45 minutes away.
What is the fishing like there? We have yet to find a good place to fish!

Have you ever stayed in the cabins?

Awesome thread - I'm making note of these great nearby options in my Blackberry!

Thank you kindly.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
What is the fishing like there? We have yet to find a good place to fish!

Have you ever stayed in the cabins?

Awesome thread - I'm making note of these great nearby options in my Blackberry!

Thank you kindly.
Not sure about the fishing, we only went one time and it was for the day, but we really had a great time it's so pretty there.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bonze View Post
I second Wilson Creek.

Its pretty, clean clear water, only about 2 hours away and there are some swimming holes. BUT, do not try and tube down the Gorge. Good way to get killed. Also, if the water is high stay out of the water. Please dont liter either.
While I too love Wilson Creek, I certainly would not take small children there! It's a kayaker's paradise and fun to just sit on the rocks and watch the boats go by, but not much for kids to do at all.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 AM

58 posts, read 138,365 times
there are some other places to hike into in the area with waterfalls and such...some swimming holes too on creeks like Harper, North Harper, Lost Cove, etc...but youre right, do not swim in any current.
Kayakers are all the time rescuing people who think they can tube down.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
Also there's the Uwharrie National Forest. They have a multitude of recreational opportunities for you to partake in. It is about 1 hour east of here on hwy. 24/27 in Montgomery County.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times
Two suggestions, both with excellent waterfalls and scenery

South Mountains State Park (sort of between Shelby and Morganton). Nice, about 1 mile hike up a cascading stream to a very nice waterfall.

Dupont State Forest (near Brevard/Hendersonville). Awesome scenery (many scenes in the film "The Last of the Mohicans" was filmed there"), and several real nice waterfalls.

Both places are excellent for horseback riding, by the way.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
I second sliding rock. I have a 10 year old and a six year old, both boys and they loved it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
The fishing on Lake Tillery/Falls Dam is excellent save for the times they decide to release water from the dam. Other than that , its good. Last time I visited , I rented a rowboat and caught a pretty big catfish. Only bad part was I had trouble operating the boat due to the size of the oars and inexperience on my part!
Good Luck on your endeavours!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte