U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,897 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, let me apologize in advance for how long this may be...but I want to make sure you guys have enough info to work with!!!

OK I currently live in Lancaster, PA not a huge city, but big enough with lots of crime and violence! I am looking for a neighborhood that is safe of course, has excellent schools (I have a middle schooler), diverse (race, culture, income etc) kids for my son to play with, and easy access to shopping. I plan on moving into an apartment when I first arrive, probably for a year. And then using my VA benefits to buy a home. I like city life but definitely do not want to LIVE in it, just would like to live close(less than 30 mins) to it. I work in the medical field, I work as a MRI Tech, but also do part-time work as a Pharmacy Assistant also. I have put my resume in with a few medical facilities and a radiology company with whom I have a interview with later this month. I don't mind commuting at all to work. When I lived in the MD/DC area I commuted 45 minutes each way 5 days a week.

My biggest concern is my son. I want him to like Charlotte! He is a HUGE sports fan, not of Charlotte's team...sorry! He is an EAGLES, PHILLIES, LAKERS and FLYERS fan. Very outdoorsy, loves fishing, riding his bike, climbing trees, breaking body parts :-) you know typical boy stuff!!! So I would like a neighborhood where he can feel at home!!!!!

Hope this helps everyone and please any information will be greatly appreciated even if you may think it's something small!

Have a great day!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,640,136 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, let me apologize in advance for how long this may be...but I want to make sure you guys have enough info to work with!!!
What is your budget? Are you only applying in Charlotte or in other areas as well?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,980,955 times
Sounds like you are in a great position w/ your career to land a job here. GOOD LUCK!

I am going to suggest Ft. Mill or Matthews and if you like the area N of Charlotte, Huntersville. If you land a job w/ a hospital around Mooresville, I feel like you would be very happy w/ the schools there.

The area is really spread out, so if you got a job at NE Medical Center, for ex., I don't think you would want to live in Ft. Mill. So really - deciding on where to live is somewhat dependent on where you are going to be commuting for work. It could turn out to be more than an hour's commute and you are not really gonna want that.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 AM

I don't want to pay more than $850.00 in rent, right now I've only applied in Charlotte. But hey if you have other suggestions, please do tell!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Does anyone know anything about the University city area? good or bad!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,099,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siahsmommy View Post
Does anyone know anything about the University city area? good or bad!
I live in University city. LOVE IT. Very diverse, everything is very convenient, yet there are farms within 10 minutes if you just need some "rural". Some pockets can be a bit challenging, recommend that you review the most recent crime stats for your specific apartment complex.

Can't speak for the schools, not a fan of the schools in Char-Meck overall, but, my kids are 27 & 32 now.

However, PLEASE be sure that you have a firm job offer before you come. You are in a good position with your field, but, the job market here is really bad right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or