U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM

873 posts, read 1,536,470 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Nancy, just not sure without seeing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Well, it was a bunch of worms just moving in a huge mass, one mass looked like it had a white large larve in the center. They were all like a quarter of an inch maybe and like I said it was just a gooey/slimey moving mass. they were just seeping out of one area of our grass. We thought maybe maggots but they wern't that big. Definately not a slug or snail. The mass was as large as a big slug and at first apperance that what it looked like until further inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,061,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Sorry, Nancy, just not sure without seeing them.
I should have taken a quick digi of them, well hopefully there won't be a next time, but....I'll let ya know if anything pops up. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,910,746 times
What about this big beetle on the side of our house with GIANT pincers, as big as his big body!!!!

Last edited by XcapefromNJ; 06-15-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM

That is a male Stag Beetle. Harmless except that they can pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
What about this big beetle on the side of our house with GIANT pincers, as big as his big body!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,343,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
That is a male Stag Beetle. Harmless except that they can pinch.
I know about the venomous snakes and spiders in the area, but what buys are actually packing a lethal punch here in the Charlotte area? Are there any?

something bit my forearm last night when I was in bed with my wife, my whole forearm went numb, but the puncture in the skin was only as big as a pin head. I just went back to sleep and woke up alive today, so I guess it was nothing serious.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:13 AM

852 posts, read 2,213,046 times
Were you snoring? If so it could have been your wife punching you to stop and she just told you it was a bug bite LOL

Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Do you find blood specks on the linens? Possibly Bedbugs. Bad news!!! Other than that, all spiders are venomous, with the Black Widow being the worst in our area. Closer to the coast is the Brown Widow that is more venomous than the Black Widow. Brown Recluses are REALLY rare here! I've seen only one on the job in over 25 years, and that was in a church in Pineville that I was treating for termites. And of course we have our share of ants, many of which can bite and/or sting. The fire ant is the worst, but not the only biting stinging ant. And finally, we have the flying stinging insects: bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets. We also have several different species of wingless wasps that are velvety looking with red and black coloration. They pack a big wallop!

99% of the snakes here are harmless whether they bite you or not. The copperhead is the only venomous snake in the Charlotte area. I'd rather be bitten by a big rat snake (I have been) than stir up a bunch of yellow jackets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I know about the venomous snakes and spiders in the area, but what buys are actually packing a lethal punch here in the Charlotte area? Are there any?

something bit my forearm last night when I was in bed with my wife, my whole forearm went numb, but the puncture in the skin was only as big as a pin head. I just went back to sleep and woke up alive today, so I guess it was nothing serious.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,343,660 times
Quote:
Do you find blood specks on the linens? Possibly Bedbugs
yikes, I have once or twice, I chalked it up to Kate scratching me with her engagement rock as we were jostling for position as we were sleeping, I hope it's that! Are there any other way to tell if there are bed bugs? We wash the sheets once a week and the comforter once a month...

I'm not sleeping tonight now, so I hope you respond to this soon BugGuy lol.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Bedbugs are getting more and more common and they are very difficult to control. They are about the only insect that will bite you in the bed and leave the tell-tale blood specks on the linens. Treatments have to be very thorough - no hit and miss with these insects! You can do it yourself but you can't cut corners! Professional treatment is expensive due to the amount of work involved. And these insects are carried in by unsuspecting homeowners in furniture, donated clothing, etc.

It would take an hour for me to tell you how to do the job here! But, I'd start in the room where you sleep, get all the linens off the beds, all the drapes, curtains, etc. down and everything out of the closets and drawers, etc. Wash all that can be washed. Dry clean what can't. Take the bed frame apart and take all the drawers out of dressers, etc. Use a good flashlight and look for the insects as well as their eggs and nymphs in tiny cracks, crevices, mattress tufts, etc. (In fact, look all over the house!) Now, all that stuff has to be treated. I'm not even aware of what over-the-counter pesticide you could use. I use a product called Onslaught along with a synergist (Pyrethrin) and an aerosol called Bedlam and a pesticide dust called Drione, when I treat for them. None of these can be bought at any regular store though.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific but again it is a very extensive and time consuming job to do it right. DM me if you want and I can try to be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
yikes, I have once or twice, I chalked it up to Kate scratching me with her engagement rock as we were jostling for position as we were sleeping, I hope it's that! Are there any other way to tell if there are bed bugs? We wash the sheets once a week and the comforter once a month...

I'm not sleeping tonight now, so I hope you respond to this soon BugGuy lol.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 27,213 times
When we lived in Charlotte, we had a hummingbird moth land outside our window. That thing was huge. We went on google immediately to figure out what it was. I have never seen another one since
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or