Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone reads classified ads in the newspaper these days.

I am considering selling some items but wonder what the best way to go about it would be. Is it worth the money to run an ad? Do people still read classifieds?

I know people check out craig's list . . . but my experience has been that people call and want things for NOTHING "just to take it off your hands" and I don't want a bunch of annoyance calls like that. In the past, I donate stuff that I could get $$ for - simply b/c it is convenient to give the stuff away.

So what do you all do when you have something for sale that you really would like to SELL - not just give away? Run a classified ad? List on craig's list and just hope you don't get inundated w/ worthless phone calls?

Also . . . if you have bought a flat screen TV, what are you all doing with your other TV sets? Donating them? Trying to sell them? Is anyone paying for used TVs these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
Maybe eBay?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM

226 posts, read 788,036 times
ani...I have sold LOTS of stuff on craigslist and I find if I put "FIRM" and "CASH ONLY" next to the amount, it weeds out the people who just want to take it from you. I've had really good luck with it. Besides, people respond to an anonymous email before any calls are exchanged, so you can let anyone know first through email whether you are willing to negotiate.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Maybe eBay?
I think Ebay works for smaller items, but when you have heavier things you want to sell it gets more expensive for mailing or shipping.

I like CraigsList myself. I bought a great computer desk from someone I found there who turned out to live right around the corner from me!

As for tv's, well many of you know that my husband and I are having to move from Charlotte for a job opportunity , and I currently have my tv on CraigsList. So far NO TAKERS. Wish I knew of another way to sell it, as I just cannot fit it into the storage unit we have rented! It cost me $700. 4 years ago and I only want $250. for it, which I think is a great deal for a 36' tv in mint condition!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,463 times
Isn't it free on Charlotte.com to sell your items if you are not commercial? I always look there too, but I must say I check craigslist first. I have sold a number of items there but I have a "disposable" email address that I use or you can use their email address/number that they give you. I wouldn't put my telephone number on the ad, I would just give it out if somebody emails you. Of course there are scams which include an immediate email saying that that will take your item and that you should take it off craigslist and then there are ones saying that they will send you a cheque for (more than you asked for) x amount of dollars and that you should ship it to this address (usually abroad). They tell you to go ahead and cash the cheque and it usually clears but after you ship the item the cheque bounces and you get nothing. Just watch out for them - these scam artists are clever. Having said all that I think it's a good way of getting rid of something that you don't need and more often than not it's a local sale. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Maybe eBay?
I have thought about using eBay but the fees and setting things up . . . I considered taking the "easy way out" and letting a broker do it for me. I have been told there is a company here in CLT where you can drop off your stuff and they actually do all the listings . . . I need to check that and see what the fees are and if it is actually worth it.

I have some evening wear, for example, but don't know that anyone is even interested in that sort of thing these days, LOL!! In the past, I have given away some expensive clothing and I have wondered - would someone pay for this stuff? Then there are household items . . .

Keeping up w/ the auctions and then packaging stuff for shipping . . . I have known people who are successful with ebay! I just don't know that I want to work that hard to sell this stuff, Hee Hee. Getting money back is a GOOD THING, tho!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
I'm with the other people who post on CL and communicate only by email until you reach the "serious offers."

Otherwise, most of the things that I think would be sellable at $50 or less I just donate or Freecycle. Not worth the hassle to try and sell.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
ani...I have sold LOTS of stuff on craigslist and I find if I put "FIRM" and "CASH ONLY" next to the amount, it weeds out the people who just want to take it from you. I've had really good luck with it. Besides, people respond to an anonymous email before any calls are exchanged, so you can let anyone know first through email whether you are willing to negotiate.
Thanks, Bay! Now that is a great suggestion - put "FIRM" - excellent idea!! Thank you so much for sharing that tip.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
I've sold numerous things through CL and haven't had too many problems. Yes, I get the few emails here and there where they think they just landed themselves the holy grail of freebies if only they could talk you into giving it them ... but, mostly I've had great buyers. It is easier for me to weed out the tire kickers via email than phone calls.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think Ebay works for smaller items, but when you have heavier things you want to sell it gets more expensive for mailing or shipping.

I like CraigsList myself. I bought a great computer desk from someone I found there who turned out to live right around the corner from me!

As for tv's, well many of you know that my husband and I are having to move from Charlotte for a job opportunity , and I currently have my tv on CraigsList. So far NO TAKERS. Wish I knew of another way to sell it, as I just cannot fit it into the storage unit we have rented! It cost me $700. 4 years ago and I only want $250. for it, which I think is a great deal for a 36' tv in mint condition!
LOVES - how did you market it on CL? I am thinking - if you market it as a great TV for the kids to hook up their Xboxes and Wiis - rather than using mom and dad's new flat screen . . . ????

Your experience makes me wonder if people are buying used TV sets, tho. Can you keep the ad running indefinitely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte