U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 AM

26 posts, read 48,702 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post a follow up after my move from San Diego to Charlotte last October. Everyone on the boards have had great ideas and it has been extremely valuable to me during and after my move. I felt it was important to provide "after the move" feedback. Here are somethings I have noticed and wanted to comment upon:

1. if possible to drive, take some extra time and enjoy the trip! The journey is half the fun! Stopped and saw relatives, Carlsbad Caverns, Clinton Center in Little Rock, and Graceland. What a wonderful experience I will treasure!

2. Ok, now that I am settled....I love it here! Of course, it is not perfect and every place has it flaws.
3. I love the friendly people and the wonderful scenery in the state of North Carolina.
4. I miss the food of California, especially good Japanese and Mexican food.
5. The home cooking here is wonderful in the restaurants.
6. Buy warm clothes for the winter and shorts for the summer. There are seasons here!
7 . Make sure that you visit some of the beautiful areas, I have taken some side trips to Charleston and outlying areas and just love it.
8. Take advantage of the dog parks if you have a dog, they are the best I have seen.
9. Participate in the community which has so many great groups.
10. I am looking forward to more culture such as theater. However, I will just drive to Atlanta or go to New York in the future.

If you are thinking of moving here. I love it, not perfect...but a great change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM

257 posts, read 587,605 times
Glad you love it and are enjoying the seasons! West to East is a big change! Also, the new museum campus downtown should add to cultural opportunities.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,714 times
Welcome Debdiego!

It sounds like you are outgoing and the type of person to really get involved.
That is the key to any place.
I think many move here and just do not take the effort to plug in.

Welcome!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Welcome, Deb! That was a nice review! It is a big change from San Diego to here in NC . . . glad you have settled in and found some positives with your move.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM

889 posts, read 2,851,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdiego View Post
I wanted to post a follow up after my move from San Diego to Charlotte last October. Everyone on the boards have had great ideas and it has been extremely valuable to me during and after my move. I felt it was important to provide "after the move" feedback. Here are somethings I have noticed and wanted to comment upon:

1. if possible to drive, take some extra time and enjoy the trip! The journey is half the fun! Stopped and saw relatives, Carlsbad Caverns, Clinton Center in Little Rock, and Graceland. What a wonderful experience I will treasure!

2. Ok, now that I am settled....I love it here! Of course, it is not perfect and every place has it flaws.
3. I love the friendly people and the wonderful scenery in the state of North Carolina.
4. I miss the food of California, especially good Japanese and Mexican food.
5. The home cooking here is wonderful in the restaurants.
6. Buy warm clothes for the winter and shorts for the summer. There are seasons here!
7 . Make sure that you visit some of the beautiful areas, I have taken some side trips to Charleston and outlying areas and just love it.
8. Take advantage of the dog parks if you have a dog, they are the best I have seen.
9. Participate in the community which has so many great groups.
10. I am looking forward to more culture such as theater. However, I will just drive to Atlanta or go to New York in the future.

If you are thinking of moving here. I love it, not perfect...but a great change

You have a positive attitude and that makes a huge difference!
Totally agree about the Mexican food! I have discovered a salsa that a restaurant in Cornelius sells that rivals Casa Sanchez that Whole Foods sells.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,149,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
You have a positive attitude and that makes a huge difference!
Totally agree about the Mexican food! I have discovered a salsa that a restaurant in Cornelius sells that rivals Casa Sanchez that Whole Foods sells.
I don't live in Charlotte, but in Boone. I also moved here from California (Sacramento area), in 2006. Couldn't agree more about the Mexican food! I've told people, in all seriousness, that it's a shame that the best burrito in Boone is at Taco Bell! The two Mexican restaurants I've tried here serve what they CLAIM are burritos, but they're open-ended narrow roll-ups, that resemble enchiladas. C'mon, real burritos are closed-ended, FAT and loaded with stuff!

There are one or two other places in Boone that serve burritos that I've not yet tried, and I'm hopeful that one of them will serve an actual burrito.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM

1,972 posts, read 2,638,091 times
try Phat Burrito in southend, those burritos are fat and closed.
it is a very popular little dive of a place, loooove it.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM

889 posts, read 2,851,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I don't live in Charlotte, but in Boone. I also moved here from California (Sacramento area), in 2006. Couldn't agree more about the Mexican food! I've told people, in all seriousness, that it's a shame that the best burrito in Boone is at Taco Bell! The two Mexican restaurants I've tried here serve what they CLAIM are burritos, but they're open-ended narrow roll-ups, that resemble enchiladas. C'mon, real burritos are closed-ended, FAT and loaded with stuff!

There are one or two other places in Boone that serve burritos that I've not yet tried, and I'm hopeful that one of them will serve an actual burrito.
Good luck. I know how you feel! last month while back in Ca. i had my burrito fix --closed ended and fat and LOADED!!But Boone i imagine is even harder to find any decent Mex. food.I joke t my husband and say we need to have them teach us and open a Burrito stand!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM

329 posts, read 1,127,191 times
Welcome!

this one cracks me up - only because I am looking forward to milder winters

and there were 4 seasons in KC - winter and summers where just longer and winters tend to be more extreme!

Glad you like it here! I just moved from the KC area in first of May and now matter how great the place or how much you love it - it is still a BIG change and takes some adjustment time and getting used too!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,149,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Good luck. I know how you feel! last month while back in Ca. i had my burrito fix --closed ended and fat and LOADED!!But Boone i imagine is even harder to find any decent Mex. food.I joke t my husband and say we need to have them teach us and open a Burrito stand!
Well when I couldn't find a decent burrito here, I just made my own. Tortilla with grilled chicken, cheese, onion, beans, tomato...rolled up as big as I can make it and topped with enchilada sauce and cheese. Microwave it to let the cheese melt and...YUMMMM. Gotta use a fork to eat it.

Back in high school and going through college I worked at a mexican restaurant so I picked up a few cooking skills there. But I don't want to go into business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte