Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
really glad you know how to spell but do you know what your "RIGHTS really are ?? I don't think so . Check out how Supreme Court justice Tolman feels about all this.
Is this the gentlemen you are referring to?

'Tolman, known as a progressive democrat and able parliamentarian...'

&

'...was twice Chief Justice, from 1925 to 1926 and from 1931 to 1932. He died on 15 May 1940' ?

Back in those days people had what is known as 'common sense'.
In 2009, 'common sense' is anything but common...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM

210 posts, read 507,735 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
As I sped up a few mph to pass her, she swerved into my lane to make a left hand turn and I kicked my steel-toe boot into her door as hard as I could while trying to remain upright on my bike.
She slammed on the brakes to get out and admire the new modification I made to her vehicle, I am convinced completely oblivious to what just happened.
I just kept on going and really have no remorse.
Is it time well spent to stop and have a conversation with an oblivious idiot?
I could have been killed by her reckless behavior, leaving a wife and two daughters behind.
Mullman, that's AWFUL! You thought quickly and saved yourself, but you shouldn't have had to do that.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
Mullman, that's AWFUL! You thought quickly and saved yourself, but you shouldn't have had to do that.
I completely and totally agree.
But with split seconds to ponder, all I could think was her driving me into oncoming traffic so she could get her Bojangles fix.

Last edited by mullman; 06-16-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM

182 posts, read 440,143 times
Quote:
Fixed.

A few weeks ago I was riding through Shelby on a motorcycle and a lady in a Buick was smoking and yapping on the phone and repeatedly drifting halfway into my lane. She was immune to a few quick friendly horn beeps to let her know I was beside her (and I was NOT in her blind spot).
As I sped up a few mph to pass her, she swerved into my lane to make a left hand turn and I kicked my steel-toe boot into her door as hard as I could while trying to remain upright on my bike.
She slammed on the brakes to get out and admire the new modification I made to her vehicle, I am convinced completely oblivious to what just happened.
I just kept on going and really have no remorse.
Is it time well spent to stop and have a conversation with an oblivious idiot?
I could have been killed by her reckless behavior, leaving a wife and two daughters behind.

BUT, if she was 100% being attentive (not smoking AND on the phone) and driving down the road 5-10 mph over the limit, I am pretty sure she would have been staying in her lane, and this entire situation would not even be a conversation.

I basically agree.
Except out West, I would never attempt close to that speed I posted above and do not advocate such behavior.
That was an extreme example, I admit.
For the most part our roads, grades, and curve apexes are not designed for such velocity.
BUT, a few miles over, with a fully attentive and experienced driver is not something I would classify as 'reckless behavior'.
We're splitting hairs here.
It was your photo example that you chose to share with the forum. So don't include me in "we're splitting hairs". Reckless speeding is a significant threat to everyone lives, families and futures, a point you conveniently edited in your response in quoting my post.
In your next example of how you heroically saved your life by speeding ahead then kicking the door of someone's car with your steel toed boots, demonstrates you are very angry and impulsive in risk assessment. Why not get on the brakes and let the car go by? I won't defend the lady you spoke of, but motorcycles are hard to see. Discretion and good judgment are the better part of valor. But do go on and rationalize your actions...

Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Did you happen to notice the speedometer was in metric? There are places where those speeds are legal and even regarded as safe. The US has no such place other than Montana or whereever it is that there is/was no daytime speed limit.

Fighter, if you show up in NC with no valid licenese or insurance, you'll have that little book of yours to read while you are waiting to be bailed out and then again while you wait for your RV to be pulled around at the impound lot.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Is this the gentlemen you are referring to?

'Tolman, known as a progressive democrat and able parliamentarian...'

&

'...was twice Chief Justice, from 1925 to 1926 and from 1931 to 1932. He died on 15 May 1940' ?

Back in those days people had what is known as 'common sense'.
In 2009, 'common sense' is anything but common...
Ya but not all of us have lost our common sense, nor have we forgoten what our rights areand will not let them be taken away from us with out a fight.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 PM

171 posts, read 357,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
And saying the Constitution gurantees you the right to drive is like saying the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to go take a fighter jet from the military.
That has to be one of the dumbest analogies I've ever read in my life. Ever.

- Diggums

Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
It was your photo example that you chose to share with the forum. So don't include me in "we're splitting hairs". Reckless speeding is a significant threat to everyone lives, families and futures, a point you conveniently edited in your response in quoting my post.
In your next example of how you heroically saved your life by speeding ahead then kicking the door of someone's car with your steel toed boots, demonstrates you are very angry and impulsive in risk assessment. Why not get on the brakes and let the car go by? I won't defend the lady you spoke of, but motorcycles are hard to see. Discretion and good judgment are the better part of valor. But do go on and rationalize your actions...
According to your statement, it can be assumed even 1 MPH can be "reckless speeding.... significant threat.... etc., etc., otherwise how would you "rationalize" with supportive evidence where the line is between safe speeding, speeding, and reckless speeding?

You use a bunch of statements/words that call into play personal responsibility and the ability levels of others compared to your driving skills comfort level.

examples: Discretion, good judgment, rationalization, angry, impulsive, risk assessment, reckless, significant. "Motorcycles are hard to see..". Talk about choosing what you wish to rationalize.. c'mon, you're out there driving, you'd better be attentive and see everything on the road, or someone dies. (dang, I felt like Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" there for a second.... okay, it's passed.)

I could say you tend to pontificate. Would you think that would be a fair assessment of your position here?

Best assessment is to drive within your abilities and temper them to the exhibited abilities of the motorists surrounding you on a daily basis.

I am an aggressive driver, have been for 45+ years. No chargeable accidents, plenty of speeding tickets, a couple of parking violations. I always try to drive well within my skill set. If it's raining cats and dogs, I'm usually the first to pull over at a safe spot and wait it out. I try to avoid rush hours when I travel, they bring out the worst in everyone. I use the left lane to pass, not to cruise while enjoying the beautiful day and the scenery along the way. Directional signals are a must. They let everyone around know my intentions.
As I've aged I realize my night vision isn't what it used to be, so I adjust accordingly. My reflexes are also on the downhill slope, it's all figured in to my plan for driving everyday.

Take driving seriously, it's the most dangerous thing we do in our lives!!

Oops, I mentioned not getting into this, sorry!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I won't defend the lady you spoke of, but motorcycles are hard to see. Discretion and good judgment are the better part of valor. But do go on and rationalize your actions...
It's refreshing to know that caring drivers out there have pre-written my epitaph.

Your blanket statements and circular arguments just are not swaying me that a 100% attentive driver in a modern vehicle with a velocity of 70-80 mph on an open highway is 'reckless behavior' and endangering lives. I would argue modern driver distractions (already mentioned) coupled with poor driver training are much more dangerous.

I already commented on my photo (which was completely legal where it was taken) that:

That was an extreme example, I admit.
For the most part our [USA] roads, grades, and curve apexes are not designed for such velocity.

Yet, you care to wax eloquently again on how reckless speeding is a significant threat to everyone lives, families and futures.
We completely agree on that, we just disagree on what is a 'reckless velocity'.
For you it sounds like 1 mph over the limit and that is fine, just keep right.

Just curious, do you use turn signals?

Quote:
demonstrates you are very angry and impulsive in risk assessment. Why not get on the brakes and let the car go by?
Have you ever had to brake hard on a two wheeler @ 45 mph on the gravel/trash that accumulates in the shoulders and center turn lanes? Low siding and going under a vehicle is not very appealing, at least to me, and I was going at or below the speed limit FWIW. This year marks my 20th anniversary of holding a motorcycle endorsement and I still see something new weekly - never stop learning.

Last edited by mullman; 06-17-2009 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM

182 posts, read 440,143 times
Mullman, I hope you never have an accident, but I have reported you to the Barrel Monster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte