U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 AM

198 posts, read 563,898 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the Spay/Neuter Clinic run by Animal Control here? I am with Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, and I just got in a new rescue female who needs to be spayed. I'm looking for a low-cost option (as a non-profit organization, each dollar has to be stretched pretty far!) but I obviously don't want money to be the only criteria.

I've called around to several vet clinics but the prices are pretty high, like in the high $300s. Ridgebacks are large dogs, which might explain the high costs. But I noticed that the spay/neuter clinic run by Animal Control only charges $50. Is this too good to be true? Has anyone used them before?

Thanks so much for any feedback -- this girl will hopefully find a new forever home soon! She deserves it after what she's been through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,851,534 times
Hi there, ECM08.

I am a volunteer with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control.

Our spay/neuter program is funded entirely by private donations and grant money, so the costs involved to run this program do not come from city/county operating funds. As you can imagine, with the state of the economy donations for this vital service are down. The shelter is currently accepting applications for surgery for male cats, female cats, and then male dogs. Surgeries for female dogs are currently lower down in the queue.

I believe that surgeries are performed by veterinarians in the community who donate their time and expertise to this program (please contact the shelter to confirm this). The shelter also has a highly trained veterinary staff that monitors the condition of each animal after the surgery.

For more information about this program, please visit our Web site: Spay Neuter Services (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Animal+Control/Spay+Neuter+Services.htm - broken link)

Please also contact the Charlotte Humane Society to learn about their program. Here's a link to their information: Humane Society of Charlotte - Spay/neuter

Bless you for the work you are doing for Ridgeback Rescue, and I hope this information is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
Has anyone used the Spay/Neuter Clinic run by Animal Control here? I am with Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, and I just got in a new rescue female who needs to be spayed. I'm looking for a low-cost option (as a non-profit organization, each dollar has to be stretched pretty far!) but I obviously don't want money to be the only criteria.

I've called around to several vet clinics but the prices are pretty high, like in the high $300s. Ridgebacks are large dogs, which might explain the high costs. But I noticed that the spay/neuter clinic run by Animal Control only charges $50. Is this too good to be true? Has anyone used them before?

Thanks so much for any feedback -- this girl will hopefully find a new forever home soon! She deserves it after what she's been through.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM

28 posts, read 127,015 times
We used the clinic for our dane puppy and 3 yr. old dachshund. I too was very hesitant and worried that the cost would = poor surgery, in/ out w/o good care, etc. Our dogs did really well. There were no complications with either of them. We had gotten the same $300 quote for just our dachshund from our vet.
The only thing we found was that the pain meds for after the surgery made our dane not feel much pain which meant she was back to "normal" too quickly. We had to lay off of some of the meds just so she wouldn't be so energetic and pain free.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,610,076 times
i recently inquired about a neuter at the humane society , it would be late august early september before they had an opening.
to me that is the only negative , the long wait , escpecially if you have a foster waiting to be adopted.
my vet did a neuter , including extras , for right at $200.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM

510 posts, read 1,837,526 times
I used the s/n clinic about 6 years ago and again about 2 years ago. My two female dogs did not have any problems. But you do have to sign up and pay in advance. I would do it again. You are just a number there, not a "client" or "patient", but everyone there was pleasant. I had to wait about 30 minutes inline the morning of drop off.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,166,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post

I'm a big fan of the Spay/Neuter Clinic

Please consider supporting them by visiting their big yard sale this coming Saturday!

The Friends of CMACC Yard & Bake Sale
Saturday, June 20th, 7:00 am until 12:00 pm
Sole Spanish Grille parking lot at 1608 East Blvd.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,620,353 times
I had my cat spayed at the humane society (ie "Chop Shop" as me and my wife call it ). Dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon.

$50.....private vet would be triple that at least I believe...

Only negative was i had to wait 2 months for a spot to open up.

This was over the summer last year....no complaints...

FWIW....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 AM

198 posts, read 563,898 times
Thanks so much for all your recommendations! Apparently AC is not taking female dogs at the moment, and there is a long wait at the Humane Society. However, I've received a few good tips that I will investigate for private vets who charge between $100-$200. That's much more reasonable!

The sooner we can get this girl spayed, the sooner she can find her forever home.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 AM

172 posts, read 476,640 times
I will never ever EVER take my animal to the spay/neuter clinic...when it sounds too good to be true, it's b/c it usually is

Tuesday, June 2nd..take kitty in...pick kitty up...kitty's stitches don't look too neat..but I keep an eye on them..her area around the stitches is swollen ..unusually swollen..but wait another day to keep an eye on it..she doesn't seem in any pain

Friday morning I go to check on her...she's still sleeping/hiding in the closet and she's not back to her normal self yet..find her...her bladder and part of her intestines are hanging out of her belly...yes..I freak the f*ck out..rush her to the vet...throw down $400 for the regular, good vets to fix her...

turns out..the idiots that opened her up the first time, didn't close her back correctly..so the first layer of skin busted..hence the extreme swelling..until eventually it was all starting to come out. She did not open up the stitch area herself...trust me...i didn't keep that collar on her after the regular vet and she was fine..stitches healed perfectly

I'm still angry (obviously) about this. I trusted these people with my cat!! My little girl!! and then I have to find her with her insides coming out?? screw those people.... I have had cats all my life..I have 4 at home actually..the other 3 were fixed by regular vets..We just didn't have the money this time around

Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM

852 posts, read 2,212,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
I will never ever EVER take my animal to the spay/neuter clinic...when it sounds too good to be true, it's b/c it usually is

Tuesday, June 2nd..take kitty in...pick kitty up...kitty's stitches don't look too neat..but I keep an eye on them..her area around the stitches is swollen ..unusually swollen..but wait another day to keep an eye on it..she doesn't seem in any pain

Friday morning I go to check on her...she's still sleeping/hiding in the closet and she's not back to her normal self yet..find her...her bladder and part of her intestines are hanging out of her belly...yes..I freak the f*ck out..rush her to the vet...throw down $400 for the regular, good vets to fix her...

turns out..the idiots that opened her up the first time, didn't close her back correctly..so the first layer of skin busted..hence the extreme swelling..until eventually it was all starting to come out. She did not open up the stitch area herself...trust me...i didn't keep that collar on her after the regular vet and she was fine..stitches healed perfectly

I'm still angry (obviously) about this. I trusted these people with my cat!! My little girl!! and then I have to find her with her insides coming out?? screw those people.... I have had cats all my life..I have 4 at home actually..the other 3 were fixed by regular vets..We just didn't have the money this time around
I think you were very unlucky because I have only heard good things about them. We had feral cats at our office and it seemed like every week there were more kittens so we gathered (actually trapped them) and managed to get them spayed and neutered (they clipped each ear to mark them). They were all well and we still see them coming around our office to be fed. I am sorry for your kitty but I do think it's unusual for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or