Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I haven't had much luck selling Craiglist, but I have done alot of transactions on Ebay (over 100). Once you get acct set up it is easy, so the grunt work is getting account established, probably open a Paypal acct so buyers can do immediate payment. I've bought 2 cars and sold 2 cars on Ebay, sold my pool table. I would sell a TV on Ebay and just list it as "local pickup" that way you don't have to deal with shipping. I find small items are easy to sell w/shipping, bigger ticket items, large stuff the buyer must arrange for pickup. I bought both cars out of Oklahoma and someone drove 400 miles to pickup my pool table. The problem with classified ads is you are exposed to limited market area (and fees are kinda steep), much larger exposure w/Ebay. Who would have thought 20 yrs ago that a used car dealer in OK could market and sell a car to someone in NC...
Okay - that is amazing!!!! Maybe if I start out small w/ just a few items that are easy to package and ship . . . see how it goes . . . thanks for sharing your experiences, ZnGuy! Good suggestions about "local pick up" as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! I am thinking I could pick up a little $$$ to use towards landscaping. The cost of these plants continues to mount. So I thought - de-clutter and make some money off this stuff - and use it towards offsetting the cost on getting some more plants/bushes. Even on sale, writing out these $200 plus checks for plants is not a good thing for the budget.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOVES - how did you market it on CL? I am thinking - if you market it as a great TV for the kids to hook up their Xboxes and Wiis - rather than using mom and dad's new flat screen . . . ????

Your experience makes me wonder if people are buying used TV sets, tho. Can you keep the ad running indefinitely?
Well, maybe you are right Ani, I need to go ahead and reword the ad to catch more attention. It's a great tv, not a thing wrong with it, but we are storing most of our stuff and taking a minimal amount to our new location, so I must sell it!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, maybe you are right Ani, I need to go ahead and reword the ad to catch more attention. It's a great tv, not a thing wrong with it, but we are storing most of our stuff and taking a minimal amount to our new location, so I must sell it!
Loves, I am checking out Charlotte.com, too. Maybe you can post there, also? And be sure to put FIRM w/ the sales price. Also, did you add a photo? The fact that it is in good shape . . .

Also, it may be that there is a going rate for used TVs. If you check other ads, maybe you can see what prices others are asking and see how that matches up w/ your asking price.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:08 PM

14 posts, read 30,038 times
Everyone wants a flat screen now. I like the idea of marketing it towards the kids use. I would drop the price or throw in something with it, like a cheap DVD player, you can get one for like $25 now.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,510,886 times
Ani, I've been a powerseller on Ebay for years. Let me know if you need any help w/ keywords, pictures, or html....or anything else. I'm really good at that stuff

Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

187 posts, read 647,881 times
I've had good luck with selling and buying on craigs list. Can't remember the last time I picked up a local paper, I read everything online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte