Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 31,553 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your replies... I'm really enjoying them! If anyone else has anything to share, please do! I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

364 posts, read 635,692 times
Hello Movinonup13, well...my girlfriend and I moved here about 11 months ago from a fairly small town in PA. We love it here! It's difficult for me to know exactly what you want. But, between school and plenty of things to do around here. I would imagine that you could meet people without any issue. We have been to a few places uptown but not a ton. In terms of cost of living, the cost of living back in PA was dirt cheap and I don't think it is much more expensive to live here other than for housing/rent. Where my gf and I are now we pay a little under 900 a month for a two bedroom apt, gated, with 2 pools, 2 clubhouses, etc.

What other sorts of things are you looking for? or looking forward to doing? Side note, there are a lot of parks and bodies of water for doing outdoor stuff. I think for the most part people are friendly too...I mean you have to use common sense as this is still a big city and people with bad intentions can potentially lurk anywhere.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM

99 posts, read 292,995 times
Currently doing an internship in Charleston, WV and orginally from Charlotte. You would be crazy not to go to Charlotte over Charleston unless you plan on living in WV permanently. All the young people in this town are trying to get out of here as fast possible...and now I see why.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 AM

407 posts, read 851,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinonup13 View Post
I'd like some input from young folks in Charlotte.
My wife and I are not "young folks" but transplants from the north, depressed western Pa coal and steel town to be exact. Both with graduate degrees. It took us a few decades to "see the light." Don't make the same mistake. We would have to question your suitability for grad school if you picked Charleston, WV over Charlotte.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM

311 posts, read 915,867 times
From one 25 year old to another, I would say Charlotte is definitely more of a family place. There is uptown with all it's bars and young people and etc, but it just doesn't do it for me and my husband.. I don't enjoy Charlotte's nightlife, what little of it there is. I mean if you live in the suburbs of Charlotte, that's where you'll be most of the time and it's very family oriented. We just don't feel like we are at that stage of life yet, so we feel a smidge out of place and are considering a move.. just not for us. I think it's great for families though! Cost of living is not bad, and I would think you would only make friends if you got involved in something. We haven't made many friends, yet the only "activity" we do is go to church on sundays. I've never been to WV so I can't compare the two.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM

311 posts, read 915,867 times
It also definitely depends where you are from and what you are used to .. where are you from??

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Everything everyone has told me has been very helpful! The place I'm from is actually very similar in that it is very family oriented. I hesitate to say where because I don't want to give anyone a negative idea about the place--since everything I've said is bad, lol! Anyway, some of the other things I hate about where I'm at are traffic--it seems this place is too overcrowded. I'm not really a big city kind of girl, but I can overlook that if the city is friendly, which it is completely not where I'm living. I really feel like where I'm at, there is not much for single 20 somethings to do. I like to go out every once in awhile to clubs and such, but then I also like just hanging at restaurants and coffee shops. I'm pretty low key with what I like to do. I'm really just wanting to find a place where I can meet 20 somethings like myself who are interested in more than partying and drinking all the time. I hope this gives you all a better idea of what I like to do! :-)

Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinonup13 View Post
Everything everyone has told me has been very helpful! The place I'm from is actually very similar in that it is very family oriented. I hesitate to say where because I don't want to give anyone a negative idea about the place--since everything I've said is bad, lol! Anyway, some of the other things I hate about where I'm at are traffic--it seems this place is too overcrowded. I'm not really a big city kind of girl, but I can overlook that if the city is friendly, which it is completely not where I'm living. I really feel like where I'm at, there is not much for single 20 somethings to do. I like to go out every once in awhile to clubs and such, but then I also like just hanging at restaurants and coffee shops. I'm pretty low key with what I like to do. I'm really just wanting to find a place where I can meet 20 somethings like myself who are interested in more than partying and drinking all the time. I hope this gives you all a better idea of what I like to do! :-)
Would you be attending classes at UNC Charlotte?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM

Yes, I would :-)

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
The neatest place for 20-somethings to go to grad school is Appalachian State University - as long as you are into coffee shops, lots of outdoor activities, and snow in the winter. Town is saturated with young folks and neat shops and has a laid back atmosphere. If you aren't into snow, then don't consider it, but I went to grad school there and my son is studying there . . .

The other suggestion would be UVA - Charlottesville, VA - a wonderful place for young people

Don't know that Charlotte would be my choice for grad school as a single person at 25. Of course, it all depends on your major and where you can get admitted, as well as financial assistance that will or will not be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte