U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,645,828 times

Advertisements

It really depends on what you like to do. Personally I would not like App State. I have family members that are alumni, I was accepted there and have friends that attended (undergrad and grad). Today I would still pick (UNC) Charlotte.

Movinonup13 - IMO you can find what you're looking for in Charlotte. Friendly people and things that interest you. I definitely think this area is family oriented but it seems like most people who say Charlotte isn't good fit for young singles didn't live here when they were young and single. Of course my experience is a little different because I came to Charlotte as an 18 freshman not a 25 year old grad student. I came from a small, suburban town. Everything closed around 9pm. That area just recently got a 24 hour McDonalds.

What's your budget? Are you looking to live close to campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM

65 posts, read 140,813 times
I'd take the young single life here in Charlotte over Charleston any day. Charlotte has a lot to do, a lot of places to live, work (heh, kinda), eat, shop, etc. There are lot of young professionals here as well. Charleston you go there for school and get the hell out basically.

Are you planning on working? The job market isn't so hot but you might be able to find a decent paid internship along with your program in grad school.

Best wishes.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,263 times
Comparing the two, this is better. Been here about 3 years. But.. it's not perfect, this is not LA, NY, Chi, Miami, Savanah, etc. It's a mix of family and a growing young community. Univerisity City is ok, but I would go towards Lake Norman, a little nicer area and I think a few more things to do. You would be 20-30 minutes from uptown and the better night life. Though Lake Norman has nightlife as well. At 25, you can do almost anything, again if you need clubs all night every night, this isn't it. But since you are in grad school, I don't think thats your mantra. There are still southern cliques here that you have to bust through and lot of young families, so not as much single life as I had hoped when coming here. But then, it's what you make of it.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,310,714 times
I'm gonna have to side on the team of choose the best fit grad program over the location.

Have the luxury to travel for school is an absolute gift. So many people find themselves geographically limited and as such, never really get a choice in where they study.

My choice would be to choose the better program. The social stuff will fall into place; trust me.

You can always move after graduation.

Maybe UNCC is the best choice for you... if so.. go for it... I just hope you consider the total continuum of needs here... instead of just geographic bonus prizes. Professors, sports, department perks, size of cohort, funding, potential research ops, etc... should be just as important (if not more so) than if it's easy to date there...

Not knocking it... just sayin. I think that you're target demographic will be other grad students... you say 20 somethings into more than partying... well, boom... other grad kids... and those will live in both locations.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 AM

99 posts, read 248,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinonup13 View Post
I really feel like where I'm at, there is not much for single 20 somethings to do. I like to go out every once in awhile to clubs and such, but then I also like just hanging at restaurants and coffee shops. I'm pretty low key with what I like to do. I'm really just wanting to find a place where I can meet 20 somethings like myself who are interested in more than partying and drinking all the time.
Once again...I am a thirty year old dude that is able to get out every now and then and I strongly caution moving to Charleston, WV instead of Charlotte, NC, especially if you are choosing between Univ. of Charleston and UNCC for grad school. I have a number of friends who are still in the mid 20's here in law school (Morgantown, WV) who would not hesistate at the chance to be in a bigger city. There is nothing in Charleston, WV for you. I REPEAT: THERE IS NOTHING IN CHARLESTON, WV!

Now if the choices for graduate school were between WVU and UNCC, I would consider WVU, but a lot of grad school, at least masters degree, should kind of depend on where you want to settle down. UNCC has a lot of connections with the local business world, but please don't be foolish enough to move to Charleston, WV and expect to find anything there besides coal companies and a non-existent night life. To give you a clue, most young people here drive to either Pittsburgh or Huntington,WV almost every weekend to have fun.

As I said before, I am working in Charleston, WV and when you do legal internships the law firms try to show you the best of the city to make you accept a job there. So let's see we have been" 1. whitewater rafting (charlotte has that), 2. housing tour (charlotte offers more variety without the threat that one day you will go to the tap and coal slurry will ooze out the faucet), 3. baseball games (minor league team, Charlotte has that), 4. clubs (only have a few located on one street and all are not hospitable for people with common sense and an appreciation for their lives), 5. clay shooting (you can do that in charlotte), and various places to eat and small festivals (need i repeat my previous replies to this?). I am normally not adamant about where someone should be, but I am telling you this place (Charleston) is the pits, and Univ. of Charleston and WVSU are way overpriced for a masters degree of little-to-no notoriety.

Last edited by 1WVULAWGRAD; 06-21-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Soooo agree w/ InformationPlease on this!!! Go where the best grad program is - where you can get financing, if needed . . . the rest will work out.

Charlotte has plenty to do . . . but again, not likely a grad student is gonna have a lot of time or money to do much more than hang out w/ other grad students in coffee shops, libraries or classrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or