U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 18,829 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been reading posts here for a while now and have finally registered. Our family is moving from MA to Charlotte sometime this summer. I was wondering if anyone had information on the Williamsburg Raintree homes and club. I know most of them were built in the late 70's and I am wondering if the area is mostly older couples or has it started to turn over to families again? Also, wondering about the club itself and how it compares to places like Carmel CC, Providence CC, and Meyers Park CC.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:58 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
Hello,

I have been reading posts here for a while now and have finally registered. Our family is moving from MA to Charlotte sometime this summer. I was wondering if anyone had information on the Williamsburg Raintree homes and club. I know most of them were built in the late 70's and I am wondering if the area is mostly older couples or has it started to turn over to families again? Also, wondering about the club itself and how it compares to places like Carmel CC, Providence CC, and Meyers Park CC.

Thanks!
Can't tell you about the clubs, but the neighborhood is a mix of families, young and old. One of the best things Raintree has going for it is its school assignments. It is assigned to very desirable elementary, middle and high schools. IF that is important to you, you should seriously consider Raintree.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:26 AM

390 posts, read 1,368,362 times
The club is a little older than the other clubs you cite, and that shows a bit. But it's under relatively new management and has been catching up. The 2 18 hole courses, pool and tennis courts are great, it's just the actual clubhouse that shows its age, and I don't know anyone who joins a club for the clubhouse! I don't know about how the dining facilities compare - I haven't been to the other clubs.

The Raintree CC rates are wonderful - homeowners don't have to pay the initiation fee, and you can get a full membership (dining, social, fitness, tennis, pool, and golf) for around $200/month + a dining commitment.

Williamsburg is full of families and the homes are lovely, with big yards and mature landscaping. There seem to be a lot of neighborhood activities. Raintree is convenient to everything in South Charlotte, as well as Pineville, Matthews and Southpark. And, as mentioned, the school assignment is very attractive.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 18,829 times
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. The kids are going to Providence Day so what I most concerned about is commute time to school. The club membership seemed like a nice perk to buying a house.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM

348 posts, read 319,116 times
...tho I've heard that some people don't love Raintree because there are so many 70's style looking homes around with the vertical direction siding...that there are people that just think it's a passe' neighborhood that is largely past it's prime.

When I was pregnant last year, I went to a pre-natal masseuse over on Serendipity, and she had one of those older wood homes, and I have to say, it was really extremely dated. The staircase looked straight out of the Brady Bunch. All the floors and stairs creaked, lots of popcorn ceilings, etc. I just don't think the workmanship as far as the builders were concerned is great.

I went into one of the townhomes in there last year when my retired father in law was thinking of moving here, as they were so inexpensive--but, that too was really cheap looking. Small rooms, shoddy construction, etc.

The houses in RainTree are generally inexpensive for what one normally sees in South Charlotte. I just think the resale value of RainTree isn't really spectacular. However, I admit that the homes are largely in a pretty setting, and that if you aren't worried about re-sale appreciation, that you could probably strike a great bargain in there.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM

35 posts, read 159,967 times
I can tell you that several areas of Raintree are much nicer than others. Willamsburg is one of those areas, the houses are beautiful and well maintained, the lots are huge and well established. The houses on Whitethorn drive are similar, I would say you couldn't go wrong in either of those areas, but the prices of the homes in those areas are also much higher than the rest of the neighborhood.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,228,190 times
Raintree is next door to my office and growing up here in the area I have several friends that have bought and/or live in the community.

Contrary to the above post they have done VERY WELL with each purchase and have seen very good appreciation. You can't beat the amenities, location and schools all bundled into one.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 PM

435 posts, read 1,677,027 times
Oh I like Raintree a lot. I live a few miles from there & use it as a cut through a bit. The homes that are closer to Ballantyne Commons are newer homes & just as nice.
Honestly you can't go wrong in Raintree.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,190 times
Default Raintree - Williamsburg

I do not live in Raintree, but have been a member there since 1990. I am also a realtor and am very familiar with the area homes. The Williamsburg area of Raintree is a great location. Homes there were built in very late 1970's and early 1980's, so they may be a little dated for current master baths, etc. But the homes are generaly large, with more traditional floorplans. Because of it's location inside the I-485 loop, but close to the interstate, it is a prime location in south Charlotte.

The country club istelf is also a great amenity - initiation fees are included in the deed to the property for Williamsburg homes, so you can have your membership at the club for just the monthly dues. The club is not ritzy - but it is comfortable and very friendly. Two very good golf courses, lots of tennis courts, great pool.

Hope that helps - good luck

Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 AM

285 posts, read 971,895 times
A year ago I looked at several raintree rentals. I saw about 5 homes and 5 townhomes. 3 out of that 10 were extremely dated. However the others were updated and gorgeous. I think it is a neighborhood that is excellent for buying a fixer upper and updating it to your tastes and retain value. Or buying an updated one.

I was very close between Blakeney and Raintree and chose Blakeney as it had three floors with a private master suite for my mom all by herself on the first floor while we lived on the upper 2 floors.

Raintree pool looks like alot of fun, the golf course is well maintained and looks very steady in terms of golfers always on the course. Plus the location is awesome and very little crime. Only crimes I saw on the crime mapping were petty. As you can see, I drive alot through Raintree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte