U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,123,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chide View Post
Thanks to everyone. I am relocating from Ohio and I have visited Hickory.It 's okay but my daughter goes to kumon after school and there is none in Hickory, it has really helped her. I would want to live in area close to this zipcode-28117 because of excellent school system or close to lake Norman but really would want to keep commute less than 45minutes. Also how is Denver vs Mooresville?
Denver is the "quiet" side of the lake. You are 15 minutes to Mooresville where all the shopping and places to eat are. It is more rural then Mooresville. I like it. Pumpkin Center is right next to Denver(whenever I tell people where I live I usually say Denver because no one has ever heard of Pumkin Center unless you are from around here) and share some of the same schools depending where in Denver you live. There is no "proper" downtown area. The closer to the lake the more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 PM

34,569 posts, read 40,168,194 times
I looked up Kumon centers - there is one in Mooresville, but that is quite a commute, depending on where you will be working in Hickory.

Are you sure your child will need to continue at Kumon once he/she enters school in a new district?

Personally, I would not want to be working in Hickory and leaving my child that far away for a commute, especially if there are school shut downs due to weather, or my child gets ill, etc.

The Catawba County school system is very good. I would find a neighborhood that allowed me a short commute to work and back to my child's school. Hickory does have Sylvan, but honestly - having taught in the Catawba County system - I have found both teachers and administrators very responsive to individualized instruction and helping children excel.

If you could tell us what area of Hickory you will be working in, we could suggest some communities that might actually better fit your needs.

Hickory is NOT what you may think on the surface. There is a lot of old money and wealth in that region and a very robust social scene - as long as you land in the right spot and get involved in local activities. You could have a very good life there.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 26,243 times
Thanks. I will be working in North center with zip code-28601, pls let me know about good communities with excellent schools,low crime area and preferably new houses,Also any information about Denver or Newton will be appreciated,thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 PM

43,365 posts, read 51,990,195 times
Quote:
Thanks. I will be working in North center with zip code-28601, pls let me know about good communities with excellent schools,low crime area and preferably new houses,Also any information about Denver or Newton will be appreciated,thanks.
Within 45 minutes of Hickory, Hickory is the biggest city - I'd suggest living there or being willing to live more "small town" in Newton, Denver or Lincolnton (great little communities).

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 PM

If you decide to live outside of Hickory take look in my neighborhood, Miners Creek, it would be listed in Lincolnton. Not sure what your budget is but it is a new neighborhood lots range from 1-3 acres(approx) Price range from around $329K to $420K. All custom-semi custom only 35 lots.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM

16 posts, read 26,243 times
How is Lincolnton compared to Denver? which is more suburban,more shops, excellent schools ,need more information,thanks.Also how how far is the commute from hickory and charlotte?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
How is Lincolnton compared to Denver? which is more suburban,more shops, excellent schools ,need more information,thanks.Also how how far is the commute from hickory and charlotte?
Neither is suburban, Denver is closer to Mooresville(10-15 minutes closer) which is more suburban. I mentioned some of this earlier on this thread. The Pumpkin Center Elementary School has a very good reputation. The North Lincoln Middle and High Schools also have a good rep. As stated before Denver shares some of the same schools as the Pumpkin Center area. I am on the border of Denver (cross one street and I'm there) Lincolnton is a very southern town with a quaint downtown area and some shopping and some places to eat but not much to talk about. Lincolton has several schools in it's district, some are better then others. I can only speak for the Pumpkin Center area. The schools are what attracted us to this area. All the schools in the P/C area are relatively new, built all within the last 2 to 6 years I believe. But if you really want suburbia Denver/Pumpkin Center nor Lincolnton will probably do it for you. If you don't think Hickory has it gong on then these other areas with the exception of Mooresville might not be what you are looking for. I can tell you that before this economy took a nose dive Denver was really starting to grow with a new shopping area propsed between Denver and P/C area that looked to be very promising with a great shopping developement with stores and restraunts and fountains, really beautiful, Hope it happens someday.

Last edited by ssd3; 06-19-2009 at 12:04 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM

43,365 posts, read 51,990,195 times
Quote:
Lincolnton is smaller (about 10,000 people), but not by much. Neither are suburban. Like I said earlier, Hickory is the largest thing in the area (about 40,000 people). You could consider living in Gastonia, which is a straight shot up hwy 321 to Hickory and is larger at about 65,000 people. However, schools are hit or miss.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,232,645 times
When we were looking at houses I found some really good deals in Denver. I mean *really* good. Idk if that's still the case but it prolly is. It was too far out for DH tho

Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 AM

34,569 posts, read 40,168,194 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, zip 28601 covers a huge portion of the Hickory area, so that doesn't tell me much.

I would go for something in the St. Stephens or Fred T. Foard School districts . . . or if out further, Balls Creek.

As for "new houses," some of the most desired properties in that region are not new but are extremely well built and have nice lots (often large).

You have 3 school districts, so it is not as simple as pointing out a location or elementary school - you are going to be putting your child into an elementary school that feeds to a high school . . . and what you want is to choose an elementary school that feeds to a high school you feel comfortable with.

You did not indicate if you will be renting or buying. Rental properties are challenging, as many are privately owned and not advertised widely. This would include nice homes.

Also, everyone in the whole USA wants "excellent schools," but knowing where you are moving FROM will help us figure out what "excellent schools" means to you. People have widely varying ideas about what an excellent school consists of. Some people are gonna consider a school lacking if they don't have a lot of resources to help w/ learning disabilities, for ex. Others are gonna be upset if there is not a robust AP program, an so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte