Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The safest areas that are close in to uptown have basically been gentrified and finding anything at $250,000 w/ any even a small lawn . . . not likely.

I hope others will answer w/ some ideas for you.
There are PLENTY of areas within 5 miles of uptown that you can buy for less than $250K. They are mainly on the east side (whose reputation belies the actual quality of life).

Dilworth experiences more crime than my neighborhood, and you can buy in my neighborhood right now for less than $200K. All the older folks are passing on and my neighbors are young professionals... many making significant improvements... they're building a McMansion behind my house right now!

When I was looking for my first house people told me what I wanted was impossible (big yard, safety, good neighbors, < 3 miles from uptown, ~$100K)... I didn't listen to them and found an awesome neighborhood only 3.2 miles from uptown. I got a brick house on 1/2 an acre with woods and a creek (my dogs loved it)! And I only paid $110K in 2002. I've never heard of any violent crime in my neighborhood, and I've been there for over 7 years now. I liked the neighborhood so much, when I got married I bought another larger house in the same neighborhood in 2006. I paid WELL less than $200K for that one, including the $30K I spent on aa remodeled kitchen and master bath.

So I guess my point is this: Not many people know the city like they think they do! Even my real-estate agent coudn't believe the hidden gem that is my neighborhood!

Best of luck! Don't assume you won't find exactly what you want...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
There are PLENTY of areas within 5 miles of uptown that you can buy for less than $250K. They are mainly on the east side (whose reputation belies the actual quality of life).

Dilworth experiences more crime than my neighborhood, and you can buy in my neighborhood right now for less than $200K. All the older folks are passing on and my neighbors are young professionals... many making significant improvements... they're building a McMansion behind my house right now!

When I was looking for my first house people told me what I wanted was impossible (big yard, safety, good neighbors, < 3 miles from uptown, ~$100K)... I didn't listen to them and found an awesome neighborhood only 3.2 miles from uptown. I got a brick house on 1/2 an acre with woods and a creek (my dogs loved it)! And I only paid $110K in 2002. I've never heard of any violent crime in my neighborhood, and I've been there for over 7 years now. I liked the neighborhood so much, when I got married I bought another larger house in the same neighborhood in 2006. I paid WELL less than $200K for that one, including the $30K I spent on aa remodeled kitchen and master bath.

So I guess my point is this: Not many people know the city like they think they do! Even my real-estate agent coudn't believe the hidden gem that is my neighborhood!

Thank you for giving this info. But my understanding of the OP's request was he wanted right in uptown, not 5 miles off. Which neighborhoods are you specifically referring to so you can better help the rest of us w/ recommendations?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you for giving this info. But my understanding of the OP's request was he wanted right in uptown, not 5 miles off. Which neighborhoods are you specifically referring to so you can better help the rest of us w/ recommendations?
We're 3.2 miles from Trade and Tryon... it takes me 7 minutes to get from my driveway to my office uptown. I go through 4 stoplights, one of which is a right turn and the other 3 are synced uptown lights... once one turns you make the other two.

While my excitement compels me to reveal my location, my paranoid side makes me a little nervous to reveal my exact location.

I'll say this much: I'm inside Wendover and south of Independence, and I'm not in Grier Heights!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Not to be argumentative, but PLENTY??? Not really NativeSon. There are only one or two I'd even consider living in. Ani is right, the desirable neighborhoods close in are all well over $200,000.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to be argumentative, but PLENTY??? Not really NativeSon. There are only one or two I'd even consider living in. Ani is right, the desirable neighborhoods close in are all well over $200,000.
Loves, I have looked at the real estate on the market right now and just don't see anything that is under $200,000 in an area w/ the attributes that the OP is describing.

NATIVESON: Completely understand your not wanting to give exact locations, but let me ask you this - in your neighborhood, is there currently anything for sale that meets the OP's requirements? If there is, you can always PM him and let him know.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Loves, I have looked at the real estate on the market right now and just don't see anything that is under $200,000 in an area w/ the attributes that the OP is describing.

NATIVESON: Completely understand your not wanting to give exact locations, but let me ask you this - in your neighborhood, is there currently anything for sale that meets the OP's requirements? If there is, you can always PM him and let him know.

The OP's requirements as near as I can tell consist of a house in a walkable neighborhood for less than $200K with a yard and in the city... I'm not sure how y'all are reading so many other needs in the original post?!?

So yes, there are homes for sale in my neighborhood that meet this requirement (although, in all honesty I'd rate my neighborhood as only slightly more walkable than Costwald). If the OP would like to know about them I'd be happy to reply to a DM.

Loves... I don't know why you're hating! I'm not slamming your neighborhood, I'm just telling folks MY feelings about MY neighborhood. Which I love.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
The OP's requirements as near as I can tell consist of a house in a walkable neighborhood for less than $200K with a yard and in the city... I'm not sure how y'all are reading so many other needs in the original post?!?

So yes, there are homes for sale in my neighborhood that meet this requirement (although, in all honesty I'd rate my neighborhood as only slightly more walkable than Costwald). If the OP would like to know about them I'd be happy to reply to a DM.

Loves... I don't know why you're hating! I'm not slamming your neighborhood.
No worries Native Son, I love your neighborhood - it's just one of the two under $200,000 near uptown I would consider living in, there really aren't "plenty" (which was the only point I was trying to make).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,967 times
Default Thank you everyone

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'll try to answer a few of the questions that have come up. Unfortunately I have never actually been to Charlotte. It is hard to know exactly what I do and do not want from a distance, but I'll try to describe it the best that I can. I am aware that there is no way that I'll get everything that I want, but do hope that by identifying the things that I like and dislike about my current home that I can get a sort of idea of what to look for if we move. I also realize that jobs are going to be hard to come by as Charlotte has higher unemployment than my current location and is not as good of a location for my field. It took me a while to find a position in a city with many many more positions. I'm trying to get a feel for what your city has to offer.

As for a house, my current house is a small(~1000sq ft), old (~1900) row house, located in a compact walkable neighborhood. The neighborhood is a former steel mill neighborhood that was originally populated by eastern Europeans and still retains some of the ethnic flavor(a lot of the older people are still here and the local churches often have bake sales full of pirogies and pastries). There are also a wide array of shops, restaurants, etc. Ther are several good theater companies close by that we hold season tickets to. I'm only a mile or two from the downtown region, a distance that is walkable. My current commute is a 5-10 minute bus ride. My wife's commute is a less convenient 20-30 minute drive.

The bad parts, being an old row house we don't have a yard to speak of, just a concrete slab of about 6x12 ft out back. The house also requires a fair amount of maintainance due to being old.

I enjoy being close to the center of the city but it's not necessary if there are interesting things to do close by. We would prefer to get by with only one car but are prepared to buy another if we need to to get by. If a neighborhood fits most of what we want, we would probably take a look at it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll try to investigate some of them online and see if I can come up with further questions.

So i would like to be close

Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
look west of park road shopping center or park rd rather ,
montclaire, tyvola road area, archdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte