Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time distinguishing the 2 municipalities. They seem to be the same place however have 2 entirely different PAID Governments, boards, HR depts etc. With all these budget shortfalls and garbage going on with the economy in Charlotte; wouldn't it make sense to combine the 2 municipalities and make just one government? I guess it's like this so the politicians can have jobs too? Wouldn't that save a ton of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Actually some functions between the city and county have been combined, like the police department and the school district. So we have kind of a quasi-merged city/county government.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times
CMPD is funded through the City only, not that County....The Sheriffs Office is strictly County and not City. The Schools are County (as far as I know and NOT city). Look at the County budget...there is no allocation for CMPD

Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
There have been movements in the past to combine them, but they have always failed for some reason or another. It would make sense at this time to merge them, but they grew separately as a necessity.

FYI, the only "politicians" in City/County goverment are the board of county commissioners (9) and the City Council (12). There are thousands of employees though, most of whom would be unaffected by a merger since most services aren't redundant....

Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 AM

291 posts, read 869,718 times
We found the main difference after we became annexed into the City of Charlotte was the tax bill! It just about doubled.....seemed the main service we got was trash pickup - but what we were paying for it quarterly was much cheaper than the tax increase! That being said, Charlotte was a great place to live!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Mecklenburg county also includes the municipalities of Mint Hill, Pineville, Cornelius, Matthews, Huntersville and Davidson. Those places most likely would not support a consolidation with Charlotte.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
I have never seen such a cross over in city/county government as here. In California, the roles were very separated. At least in the town I lived in in California, the sheriff's department only handled things outside of the city limits (unless cooperation was requested) and city police only handled things within the city limits of their own city. And the Highway Patrol took care of all highways and roads outside of any city limits - it was always very clear to me who did what and where!!

The biggest reason I see for not merging the two is that Charlotte government is (should be??) focused on Charlotte's welfare, the county is (should be??) looking out for all the towns in the county, plus those who live outside of city limits. With a merger it would be very easy for those smaller towns to get completely trampled.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
While many sheriff's departments provide police services to unincorporated areas, the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department does not. It's responsible for running the jail, courhouse security, and serving warrants.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department provides police services to Charlotte and unincorporated Mecklenburg County. Funding comes from city property taxes and a supplemental property tax paid by property owners in unincorporated areas. The Police Chief answers to the city manager.

Each of the six towns has its own police department.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:28 PM

176 posts, read 565,945 times
It still looks streamlined to me coming from Pittsburgh. There, there were dozens of municipalities surrounding PGH. Each had their own council, police chief/staff, sometimes schools, taxing authority, etc. I am speaking of those little towns within Allegheny county surrounding Pittsburgh. We paid school taxes to one, municipality taxes to the other, and county taxes to a third.

Mongahela, Braddock, Churchill, Penn Hills, Wilkinsburg, Duquesne, Forrest Hills, Monroeville, I could go on and on. And I am only speaking of those on the east end with which I am familiar.

So, this area, by comparison, looks streamlined to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte