Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Recent transplant to Charlotte, currently renting, assistance with purchasing home in Ballantyne, Mathews, Union counties, length of daily commute a concern

Old 04-14-2007, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to Charlotte and staying in an apartment in South East Charlotte. Currently working around University area and plans to be there in the future. Have two kids school going. When I started looking for homes, all my colleagues recommended south(Ballantyne) or southeast charlotte(Matthews and Union County). I am having concerns regarding the daily commute. Some guidance on choosing my new home would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 04:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskannan View Post
Recently moved to Charlotte and staying in an apartment in South East Charlotte. Currently working around University area and plans to be there in the future. Have two kids school going. When I started looking for homes, all my colleagues recommended south(Ballantyne) or southeast charlotte(Matthews and Union County). I am having concerns regarding the daily commute. Some guidance on choosing my new home would be appreciated.
Follow your gut instinct on this one! Working in the University area and trying to live in south Charlotte would be more aggravation then I would certainly want to put up with. The university area has many nice neighborhoods. I would suggest you start your seach in Highland Creek. That wonderfully planned neighborhood has something for everyone in my opinion. Additionally, some of the neighborhood is in Mecklenburg county, some of it in Cabarrus County. If you don't like the schools in one section you would have another section to choose from Good luck in your search!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
well actually dh might be working at university, and you are going the opposite way so the traffic isnt bad..we were in charlotte for 9 days and he did it a few times during traffic from Union County, Waxhaw, Marvin Area and honestly he said it wasnt bad..it took him about 40 min and on a thrusday it took him 1 hour to get home so to speak. he went morning and during rush hour in the evening, left university area at 5:30 and arrived back to the hotel at 6:10pm which isnt too bad...but you can do a dry run from that area and see...dh drives 2 hours each way now in NJ so even if it was 1 hour he doesnt care too much...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,246 times
Default Cabarrus County is a good choice

Harrisburg or Concord in Cabarrus County is an excellent choice if you will be working in the University Area. The commute with High traffic probably 20 -30 min max. Light traffic 10 min.
Good School and lower taxes.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,456 times
We almost bought in Highland Creek. It's a very nice community and convenient to jobs in the university area and uptown Charlotte. It's a huge community with either 4 or 5 amenity areas to serve all of the residents. It's almost like it's own little city :-) Some people like those master-planned communities, and others don't, but just know that Highland Creek is huge!

Harrisburg and Concord are also convenient to university area and uptown jobs as ladysouthnc mentioned. There is a lot of new development going on in Harrisburg if you're looking for new construction, but it might be slimmer pickings for resales in that area since so many of the communities are new.

Matthews is a great town in my opinion. More established than any of the other areas and definitely has a "homey" feel to it. Some of the Matthews schools are rated very well, and others aren't as great, so just make sure to do your research (www.schoolmatters.com, www.greatschools.net, www.ncschoolreportcards.com) if you find a house in Matthews that you like to make sure it falls into the zoning for the better schools. You'd have a reasonable commute into the university area and uptown from there.

One other place that I'd consider is Mint Hill. It's one town east on 485 from Matthews, so it will also be convenient for employment areas. It has more of a rural feel than Matthews, but it's starting to get it's fair share of development too. New shopping centers are opening up around the town center, and a new outdoor mall should be starting construction soon. Be careful with the schools in Mint Hill too... similar to Matthews where some are rated very well, and others are not as great.

Huntersville is a very nice area too and would be an easy trip to the university area or uptown. The lots that houses sit on tend to be a bit smaller in Huntersville than in some other locations, but some people would prefer a little less land for all of the suburban conveniences that Huntersville offers. The schools there are generally rated well.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM

132 posts, read 471,739 times
Default Highland Creek

I have to put in my 2 cents. We just moved to Highland Creek from ATL, and as many already know on here, we lived here 4 years ago. We looked all over the city, and kept coming back to Highland Creek. Yes, the neighborhood is big, but the feeling you get is not. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels very close knit to me You drive through the neighborhood and see people out with their families, doing stuff in their yard, walking, jogging etc. People smile at you and wave! Families strike up conversations at the park. We just met our neighbors who moved in (we're not the newest on the street! Yea!!) and everyone seems to be friendly!

We're on the Cabarrus Co. side, and love, love, love, Cox Mill Elementary. My daughter was tested within days of enrolling to see where she was academically. Her teacher has done a bunch to help her feel comfortable, and the school has been extremely accomodating. Everyone seems friendly, and there is a very active parent volunteer program.

Masterplanned communitites are not for everyone, but this one just seems to work for us I hope you find a community that you can feel as comfortable in!

Anita

Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,736 times
I agree with all the PPs about Highland Creek. That area, and the other smaller neighborhoods off of Prosperity Church Road, are nice IMO. Plus you can get a lot for your money and have very easy access not only to your job, but to the interstate. Tons of shopping (I have never seen so many grocery stores!) and restaurants.

The neighborhoods saw their highest appreciation rates in the late 90's, and appreciation slowed due to competition from new home building that was booming. That being said, I think those are wonderful areas for families and you'd be close to work!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte