U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 1,809,200 times
Reputation: 464

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Not interested in getting into the debate (as I am not from the area) but wondering about places like the Hickory Grove area, Eastland Mall area... This may be East Charlotte? I was told that these area's used to be predominantly middle/upper middle class White until minorities startd moving in. Is that what you are referring to as White flight? I think that' the sort of thing the caller means.

Also, I was told that the area that seperates Wesley Heights from uptown(I guess where 77 is now by Johnson C Smith) was an affluent Black community before the freeway divided the area. Fact or Fiction

I would also tell the OP, that you aunt should look for a community she likes. There is no area like Baldwin Hills or Ladera Heights in Charlotte
I grew up in that area, we bought our home in 1977. At that time there was already a mixture of various ethnic backgrounds in our neighborhood. It was as straight middle-class as any area could be. Some stay at home moms, some worked, African-American, white and hispanic families. Obviously there were more white families than anything else but for the time period it really was fully intergrated. We sold that house in 2006 and when we did there are still 6 - 10 houses who's owners have been there as long as we had been there. The truth is that we and other people are moving because of crime (nothing like a drive by shooting to make you move) NOT because of race. As I said the mixture of races were always a part of that area and probably one of the reason my parents bought there to begin with... Just a little insight from someone who lived there.

 
Old 06-21-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD
65 posts, read 101,528 times
Reputation: 34
I promise that I'm not trying to start anything here but I remember a guy the other day catching hell for wanting to live in a mostly white area.

Anyways to the OP, good luck with your search.
 
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Reputation: 20241
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Not interested in getting into the debate (as I am not from the area) but wondering about places like the Hickory Grove area, Eastland Mall area... This may be East Charlotte? I was told that these area's used to be predominantly middle/upper middle class White until minorities startd moving in. Is that what you are referring to as White flight? I think that' the sort of thing the caller means.

Also, I was told that the area that seperates Wesley Heights from uptown(I guess where 77 is now by Johnson C Smith) was an affluent Black community before the freeway divided the area. Fact or Fiction

I would also tell the OP, that you aunt should look for a community she likes. There is no area like Baldwin Hills or Ladera Heights in Charlotte
If "white flight" means people leave an area b/c crime goes up (not b/c a black family has moved onto their street) then yes, those areas have been impacted by "white flight."

My understanding of "white flight" is - black folks moved into areas to "block bust" (in the 60s and 70s) and ignorant white folks, fearful their home values would go down, moved out.

ETA: Here in CLT, as crime went up around an aging Eastland Mall, landlords (usually white) bought up houses and converted them to Section 8 housing. According to the stats . . . crime went up. As crime went up, property values went down. When people moved out of the area (or died) . . . with lowered home values, this meant cheaper available housing. As has been stated b/f . . . financial circumstances have more to do w/ where people buy a house than anything else in Charlotte. With houses being cheaper in those neighborhoods, families moved into those neighborhoods b/c that is where they could afford to purchase a home.

There was no sudden "turn over" of a white neighborhood to a black neighborhood. This was decades of change in racial make up of these neighborhoods. To me, white flight means - within a short span of time, white folks rapidly left a neighborhood to avoid having to live near a black family.

Last edited by anifani821; 06-21-2009 at 01:53 PM..
 
Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,097 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Reputation: 38301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I grew up in that area, we bought our home in 1977. At that time there was already a mixture of various ethnic backgrounds in our neighborhood. It was as straight middle-class as any area could be. Some stay at home moms, some worked, African-American, white and hispanic families. Obviously there were more white families than anything else but for the time period it really was fully intergrated. We sold that house in 2006 and when we did there are still 6 - 10 houses who's owners have been there as long as we had been there. The truth is that we and other people are moving because of crime (nothing like a drive by shooting to make you move) NOT because of race. As I said the mixture of races were always a part of that area and probably one of the reason my parents bought there to begin with... Just a little insight from someone who lived there.
I completely agree with your post East Charlotte was a lovely place to live until about 15 years ago. People like you and me did not begin leaving because minorities moved in - for one thing, many minorities were already there! We too lived in a very mixed neighborhood. My sons had Jewish friends, Indian friends, black friends and even GIRLfriends

For decades east Charlotte was a great middle class area which centered around Eastland Mall. Problems began when lax zoning laws allowed too many rental properties to be built in the area and too much section 8 housing. Those two things brought crime in to an area that had previously been very safe. CRIME is why people began leaving east Charlotte.
 
Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,696 posts, read 4,217,451 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassys1745 View Post
I am just curious. Where do the affluent African Americans/Upper Middle Class live in Charlotte (which neighborhoods). My Aunt was just talking about moving to Charlotte and now my mom wants to retire there in a year. I was just curious as to which neighborhoods should they check out.

Thanks
As most others have said here, the beauty of Charlotte is that its a very intergrated city. You could go to just about any area and expect there to be some African-Americans living there. As the link below points out, we're one of the most intergrated areas of the country...

Racial Integration in Urban America: Racial Integration in 100 Largest Metro Areas

With that said, below are some areas that would be considered fairly affluent areas for African-Americans to live. I'd suggest checking the nicer, higher priced communities in these zip codes...

Unversity Area
Zip Code 28269: Black Pop. = 27%, Median Income = $62,000
Zip Code 28262: Black Pop. = 26%, Median Income = $51,000

Steele Creek Area
Zip Code 28273: Black Pop. = 27%, Median Income = $56,000

Mount Holly Road Area
Zip Code 28214: Black Pop. = 22%, Median Income = $50,000

Mint Hill
Zip Code 28227: Black Pop. = 20%, Median Income = $51,000

Link: ZipWho.com - Free ZIP Code Demographics

FYI Charlotte's Median Income = $46,000 (might sound low depending on where you're from, but keep in mind the cost of living is very low here compared to most cities)
 
Old 06-21-2009, 04:16 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,282 posts, read 7,142,156 times
Reputation: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is a phenomenon seen in Atlanta, for example - luxury homes in all black subdivisions. These neighborhoods were essentially built by developers who were providing a neighborhood for wealthy black families who preferred being segregated in their own neighborhood.
IMHO this sounds like a great business opportunity for a developer if the demand is here.
I have never heard of these AA affluent communities in ATL, but how do you market it without appearing 'anti' anyone not AA?
Can the builders/lenders/realtors slightly discriminate?
 
Old 06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,372 posts, read 4,681,562 times
Reputation: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
IMHO this sounds like a great business opportunity for a developer if the demand is here.
I have never heard of these AA affluent communities in ATL, but how do you market it without appearing 'anti' anyone not AA?
Can the builders/lenders/realtors slightly discriminate?
Your NOT supposed to, so it's not true that builders catered to wealthy AAs only. They may have catered to wealthy people who could afford it but anything other than that is illegal and it would have be splattered all over the news as being reverse-racism. That being said the reason why you'll see a phenomenon like that in ATL is that it was heavily advertised as being the leader in the New South (just goggle New South if you don't know what that means) which means a lot of northern and mid-west middle class AAs, their kids (which are now 30-50s years of age) and grand-kids who for the most part trace their roots to the south found ATL appealing. ATL had a lot going for it, where one could penetrate business, social, and the political scene if you had the drive and resources w/o many of the barriers you'd experiencing in Boston or New York. There was/is a strong growing social scene if you were single or you could do the family/suburban thing if you wanted. It had something for everyone. It then snowballed (someone told a friend, they told two friends, etc.). Not unlike the NY/NJ influx here, a LOT of people took their big equity from their 1500 sqft home in Boston and plopped it into a 3500+ sqft home in ATL.
 
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
 
294 posts, read 463,416 times
Reputation: 219
There are middel-class, minority majority subdivisions (mini neighborhoods) in parts of Charlotte like Linda-Vista and the Townhomes on and off of Sunset and Beatties Ford.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Western NC
82 posts, read 134,411 times
Reputation: 164
I wonder why someone would want to live in a predomintely african american community. I wasn't aware Charlotte had a large population of african immigrants that live in a community. Now if you mean black americans than that may be a different story.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,932 posts, read 20,533,372 times
Reputation: 11214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks NCgirl - that is a phrase I coined a few years ago here and it's still true, green is really the only important color that matters in Charlotte. Unlike older more segregated cities, Charlotte doesn't have many historical minority neighborhoods. People of all races live together in many nice neighorborhoods scattered all around Charlotte, grouped together by how "green" they are, not by how black, brown, yellow, red or white they are
Sounds like my kinda town.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top